Wallenstein BXM32 vs BX52

hondoo

Equipment
B2650cab
Nov 28, 2017
Meredith, NH
Really struggling with this one. About 10% of my yard has 3.5" or bigger branches and the rest is pine cones, needles and small 3/4" - 2" branches. The BXM hopper claims a 1" diameter which is REAL small and i'm concerned about leaves and such will not going through. But, if it does, would be great for my needs.

The BX52 is a beast and will eat anything, as seen on YouTube. However, small branches 3/4" - 1" may not chip well and render the unit useless for my needs.

I called Wallenstein and spoke with a nice gentlemen about this comparison and he said the BX52 was the way to go. And to not put pine cones in wither unit for the pitch with clog the unit.

They both are within $200 of each other and Wallenstein has both in stock meaning I can get either one quickly. I have never actually seen one in action so making this purchase is becoming very difficult.

So I thought I would ask the Orange Experts.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Nothing to add, just interested in this thread. I think I need a chipper myself but have no idea what to look for and if they would handle my needs.

hondoo

Equipment
B2650cab
Nov 28, 2017
Meredith, NH
Nothing to add, just interested in this thread. I think I need a chipper myself but have no idea what to look for and if they would handle my needs.
Exactly. I'm just tired of loading up the landscape trailer and waiting for the brush dump to open.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I use a BXM32 with my B2620. I put stuff bigger than 1" through the shredder. I do all my leaves and all the twigs from my maple trees and pieces of bark.

I also run stuff bigger than 3 inch through the chipper. No complaints so far other than I had to make some wooden block feet for it because my 3 point doesn't seem to lower enough to get it on and off with my quick hitch.

I can tell you....it literally turns leaves into dust. I blow them back over the lawns as I'm shredding.

The pic with my son is blowing leaves. The other two are the chipper results.

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I use a BXM32 with my B2620. I put stuff bigger than 1" through the shredder. I do all my leaves and all the twigs from my maple trees and pieces of bark.

I also run stuff bigger than 3 inch through the chipper. No complaints so far other than I had to make some wooden block feet for it because my 3 point doesn't seem to lower enough to get it on and off with my quick hitch.

I can tell you....it literally turns leaves into dust. I blow them back over the lawns as I'm shredding.

The pic with my son is blowing leaves. The other two are the chipper results.
That looks huge. What is the size limit and what it can handle (diameter and lenght)?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Looks huge but it carries it well. My neighbour who bought it for us uses it on his BX also. and he has no front loader for ballast.
It was a really nice gesture on his part. I maintain a bit of their property and do some of his maintenance, so he paid for a chipper/shredder.

It's rated for 3 inch through the chipper and one inch in the top shredder, but like I say I'v put bigger through it no problem. It just self feeds itself at it's own pace. Length does no matter.
I'd say I have put 4 and 5 inch maple hardwood through it.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
No change in the tractor sound or RPM at all. You just let it self feed, and it just chews away.

A point I never added was for any given h.p. tractor a straight chipper like the BX you can go bigger in size than you can a chipper/shredder. So all depends what you mainly want to do with it.
But i sure love the shredder for getting rid of leaves and bark.

Traderdell

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, BX2370 (sold)
Apr 29, 2016
Clifton Springs,NY
I called Wallenstein and spoke with a nice gentlemen about this comparison and he said the BX52 was the way to go. And to not put pine cones in wither unit for the pitch with clog the unit..
This post has had me flummoxed all day after reading it early this morning. I’ve been considering a chipper but most of the slash I need to chip is pine and that includes pine cones. Can anyone with real world experience verify the accuracy of this?

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
This post has had me flummoxed all day after reading it early this morning. I’ve been considering a chipper but most of the slash I need to chip is pine and that includes pine cones. Can anyone with real world experience verify the accuracy of this?
Bah chip away and clean with mineral spirits once a year if its even needed. Look on the bright side the sap is rust preventative!

hondoo

Equipment
B2650cab
Nov 28, 2017
Meredith, NH
Looks huge but it carries it well. My neighbour who bought it for us uses it on his BX also. and he has no front loader for ballast.
It was a really nice gesture on his part. I maintain a bit of their property and do some of his maintenance, so he paid for a chipper/shredder.

It's rated for 3 inch through the chipper and one inch in the top shredder, but like I say I'v put bigger through it no problem. It just self feeds itself at it's own pace. Length does no matter.
I'd say I have put 4 and 5 inch maple hardwood through it.

ItBmine: I thought the chipper opening was 3 x 10" How are you getting 4-5" through? Same question for the 1" shredder opening.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
No, the openings are bigger than that. Not sure if I got pics handy, I'll look.

Buckshot1600

Equipment
L3901HST, RCR1260, RB1584, SPL1072, Wallenstein BX52S, Meteor SB72 snowblower
May 4, 2017
B.C. Canada
Hey there, I can speak about the BX52s I own. I do chip pine branches and smaller <1" branches, leaves etc. There is a couple times it seems to not get the smaller stuff but usually I try and chase small material with a larger tree (3'' to 5'') to "flush" the chipper and haven't had any issues. I decided a bit larger then I needed would outweigh being smaller then I needed. It is a beast of a machine, I run it with a L3901 and it is a good fit. Hopefully my little input helps a bit!