Virnig V30 60” Grapple Review

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I wanted to get some significant use before offering a review so after grappling about 40 decent sized trees I figure I can offer my opinion.

The negatives first.

It’s a tight fit for the SSQA hookup. I know it should be snug but it’s just shy of having to force it. I assume the grapple is too tight vs. the Kubota hookup being too wide. Nothing I couldn’t clean up with a grinder but I shouldn’t have to.

The powdercoat seems to chip/flake easily. Not a major concern as it’s a working implement but I’d think it should be a bit more durable.

That’s about it.

Once I got the hang of the best angle to have the bottom teeth I found it does an excellent job of digging in a bit and “root raking” to cleanup the ground. Using the lid to back drag is very effective as well for cleaning up debris and raking out small roots. I have hit some large roots/rocks with the bottom and lid tines that stopped the tractor in it’s tracks. Zero bends, dings or visible damage. I’m not proud to say it but I have done a few things I probably shouldn’t have with it and suffered no ill effects (picking the front of the tractor off the ground whilst attempting to pull down a partially severed branch, picking up off center oddly shaped loads clamped tightly, pushing heavy logs with the lid, etc.).

The serrated/pointy teeth do their job holding the logs/large rocks firmly, the cylinders function evenly and apparently have plenty of clamping force. All of the pivot points have easily accessible zerks for servicing. Weighs 300 pounds, made of AR400.

Basically my review is that I see no real weaknesses with it, it’s durable (I am actually shocked that I haven’t damaged it with my shenanigans) and it does everything that I’d expect from a root rake grapple. In my opinion it is worthy of consideration if you are in the market.

DCE1B039-D7BD-490F-A2CA-A8549F3D7B64.jpeg
B73CE093-8554-448E-BFB0-6606D4385E27.jpeg
F70A406F-0941-4BA0-9562-96F435806376.jpeg
1DDA6A8C-0F61-4270-93DF-D99D4E7D6C36.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I wanted to get some significant use before offering a review so after grappling about 40 decent sized trees I figure I can offer my opinion.

The negatives first.

It’s a tight fit for the SSQD hookup. I know it should be snug but it’s just shy of having to force it. I assume it the grapple is too tight vs. the Kubota hookup being too wide. Nothing I couldn’t clean up with a grinder but I shouldn’t have to.

The powdercoat seems to chip/flake easily. Not a major concern as it’s a working implement but I’d think it should be a bit more durable.

That’s about it.

Once I got the hang of the best angle to have the bottom teeth I found to does an excellent job of digging in a bit and “root raking” to cleanup the ground. Using the lid to back drag is very effective as well for cleaning up debris and raking out small roots. I have hit some large roots/rocks with the bottom and lid tines that stopped the tractor in it’s tracks. Zero bends, dings or visible damage. I’m not proud to say it but I have done a few things I probably shouldn’t have with it and suffered no ill effects (picking the front of the tractor off the ground whilst attenpting to pull down a partially severed branch, picking up off center, oddly shaped loads clamped tightly, pushing heavy logs with the lid, etc.).

The serrated/pointy teeth do their job holding the logs/large rocks firmly, the cylinders function evenly and apparently have plenty of clamping force. All of the pivot points have easily accessible zerks for servicing. Weighs 300 pounds, made of AR400.

Basically my review is that I see no real weaknesses with it, it’s durable (I am actually shocked that I haven’t damaged it with my shenanigans) and it does everything that I’d expect from a root rake grapple. In my opinion it is worthy of consideration if you are in the market.

View attachment 78858
When your grapple is in the upright position and on the floor, are the loader arms also on the floor?

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
When your grapple is in the upright position and on the floor, are the loader arms also on the floor?
Yes and as I replied in your thread I really have no issue that.

Reactions: 1 user

bob sled

Equipment
lx3310
Dec 2, 2021
Kootenai County, ID

The negatives first.

It’s a tight fit for the SSQA hookup. I know it should be snug but it’s just shy of having to force it. I assume it the grapple is too tight vs. the Kubota hookup being too wide. Nothing I couldn’t clean up with a grinder but I shouldn’t have to.

That’s about it.

Once I got the hang of the best angle to have the bottom teeth I found it does an excellent job of digging in a bit and “root raking” to cleanup the ground. Using the lid to back drag is very effective as well for cleaning up debris and raking out small roots. I have hit some large roots/rocks with the bottom and lid tines that stopped the tractor in it’s tracks. Zero bends, dings or visible damage. I’m not proud to say it but I have done a few things I probably shouldn’t have with it and suffered no ill effects (picking the front of the tractor off the ground whilst attenpting to pull down a partially severed branch, picking up off center oddly shaped loads clamped tightly, pushing heavy logs with the lid, etc.).

View attachment 78858 View attachment 78859 View attachment 78861 View attachment 78860
I have it on LX3310 boulders don't hurt this thing ,logs no problem! Best attachment I have

Reactions: 2 users

OldcrowP51

Equipment
Kubota L3901HST, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Aug 18, 2021
Minnesota

The negatives first.

It’s a tight fit for the SSQA hookup. I know it should be snug but it’s just shy of having to force it. I assume it the grapple is too tight vs. the Kubota hookup being too wide. Nothing I couldn’t clean up with a grinder but I shouldn’t have to.

That’s about it.

Once I got the hang of the best angle to have the bottom teeth I found it does an excellent job of digging in a bit and “root raking” to cleanup the ground. Using the lid to back drag is very effective as well for cleaning up debris and raking out small roots. I have hit some large roots/rocks with the bottom and lid tines that stopped the tractor in it’s tracks. Zero bends, dings or visible damage. I’m not proud to say it but I have done a few things I probably shouldn’t have with it and suffered no ill effects (picking the front of the tractor off the ground whilst attenpting to pull down a partially severed branch, picking up off center oddly shaped loads clamped tightly, pushing heavy logs with the lid, etc.).

View attachment 78858 View attachment 78859 View attachment 78861 View attachment 78860
Nice write up.
I have the same grapple and have been very pleased with it.

Reactions: 3 users

BigChief

Equipment
Lx331 0, loader, tiller, & 60 " belly mower, p land pride grapple, box blade
Oct 16, 2022
Perry, Florida
Glad to hear you like your grapple. I have a landslide model and it's junk.

BigChief

Equipment
Lx331 0, loader, tiller, & 60 " belly mower, p land pride grapple, box blade
Oct 16, 2022
Perry, Florida
Glad to hear you like your grapple. I have a landp:cautious:ride model and it's junk.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Interesting. I have Vrning pallet forks and the powder coat has been chipping and flaking since day 1. But the forks are well manufactured and work well.

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Whats the ballpark cost? Thier site has no pricing

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Interesting. I have Vrning pallet forks and the powder coat has been chipping and flaking since day 1. But the forks are well manufactured and work well.
The powder coating on most implements is junk!
I have found that two part epoxy paint is the way to go, but it is never offered as an option, because it is more time consuming/expensive.