Valvoline grease

Fox400

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534, BH77, RCR1260, RB1660
Jul 25, 2019
"The Thumb", MI
I cannot get the grease we used when I worked on the farm in my younger days anymore, so I need a new grease for my B2650. Anyone have anything bad to say about this grease? Looks like it should work good as an all purpose grease for pretty much everything from the loader and backhoe to deck bearings.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and I'm not trying to start a grease war.lol

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What was suggested to me, pick a good quality grease (there a several out), use it per manufactures specs and keep things well lubed on the tractor, and don't switch from brand to brand (to avoid any compatibility issues).

I settled on Kubota multi-purpose polyurea greae for me. IF the grease meets the manual's requirements, go for it.

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Never used it, Lucas Red n Tacky was what I have always used. No reason other than easy to get and worked well for my applications.

Switched back in February to Amsoil heavy duty with 5% moly in it and I'll be staying with it. It stays in place well.

Seems each of us have an opinion of what works best but as Bmyers stated if it meets the specs then go for it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Looks fine to me. Enough said.

Having said that Valvoline blends Kubota hydraulic fluid to Kubota specs.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Lucas has an extreme pressure grease containing moly (molybdenum disulfide). It is moisture resistant. I'm using that in my new Kubota L2501. Beware, it is very black and doesn't wash out easily.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
NEVER mix different TYPES of grease. Changing BRANDS is OK... but never TYPES unless you remove ALL the old grease first. Different TYPES do not mix well and WILL contribute to bearing failure. What is a TYPE? Lithium is a TYPE of grease. Calcium is another. Polyurea is another. Moly is another. Pick one and STAY with it after getting all the old grease removed.
REason?: Grease is OIL which is suspended in a metallic-soap. Lithium Is very common, but other types are Calcium, Aluminum, etc etc. Moly is molybedenum disulfide metallic-soap additive that resists shear-loads on pins, bushings, and fasteners. It is typically used on FELs.
None of these mix with each other and will cause seperation, local scoring and galling of bearings, rollers, and races. Synthetics are yet another TYPE and should never be mixed with mineral-oil greases. Hope this helps.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As usual George it just complicated things.... :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
NEVER mix different TYPES of grease. Changing BRANDS is OK... but never TYPES unless you remove ALL the old grease first. Different TYPES do not mix well and WILL contribute to bearing failure. What is a TYPE? Lithium is a TYPE of grease. Calcium is another. Polyurea is another. Moly is another. Pick one and STAY with it after getting all the old grease removed.
REason?: Grease is OIL which is suspended in a metallic-soap. Lithium Is very common, but other types are Calcium, Aluminum, etc etc. Moly is molybedenum disulfide metallic-soap additive that resists shear-loads on pins, bushings, and fasteners. It is typically used on FELs.
None of these mix with each other and will cause seperation, local scoring and galling of bearings, rollers, and races. Synthetics are yet another TYPE and should never be mixed with mineral-oil greases. Hope this helps.

I was going to do an off topic about my new Autel Evo drone but knowing you and your aircraft background, I'm sure you'd complicate that as well. I do know about the FAA regs so I'm not 100% in the dark, so far. Got the Autel because DJI has mandatory built in Geofencing and a 400 foot celiing limit. The Evo has no Geofencing and a 2900 foot ceiling.

Just learning to handle it (without crashing). Too damn expensive to crash.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
As usual George it just complicated things.... :D
OK... but never TYPES unless you remove ALL the old grease first.
So after the friendly remarks made about how I do my job... chaining up my (new to me) Frontier finish mower to drain the gear lube (also inspecting the deck, scraping it out, pulling the blades to sharpen them, and changing 4 tires).. I now have to disassemble my pto shaft and u-joints, the spindle bearings, and the wheel bearings to clean out the old grease before I use my Lucas green on them.... since I have no idea what the PO used.

This may need to be moved to the daily chuckle........

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I'm open to any and all suggestions and I'm not trying to start a grease war.lol
As far as your question... years ago I stopped using Valvoline grease because they made nothing with a tack additive. It would wipe off your hands very easily. In the case of greases with tack additives, it's still on your hands hours later even after multiple washings.

This may help >>>

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I like the full synthetic Valvoline grease...

Look at Rock Auto for good prices, but watch the shipping....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
While not on subject, I prefer 1A Auto. Shipping is always free and their prices are real good too.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I love oil and grease threads.... not.

I use Lubrication Engineers red synthetic grease. I get it in 150 pound open head drums. I have an air greaser with a 100 foot grease hose but I still use lever guns. Keep one in each of the mowers and baler tool boxes. I bulk load them with the air greaser and they have clear barrels so I can see how much grease is in them. LE Synthetic red grease is a super tacky EP synthetic. Been using it for years in and on everything. Not cheap either.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was going to do an off topic about my new Autel Evo drone but knowing you and your aircraft background, I'm sure you'd complicate that as well. I do know about the FAA regs so I'm not 100% in the dark, so far. Got the Autel because DJI has mandatory built in Geofencing and a 400 foot celiing limit. The Evo has no Geofencing and a 2900 foot ceiling.

Just learning to handle it (without crashing). Too damn expensive to crash.
I don’t do drones. Too much risk. ;)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Reading through this thread,

if I'm understanding everything correctly, the OP is suppose to buy a drone and spray the tractor with grease and if the grease isn't tacky enough the FAA gets a phone call and won't allow him to use his tractor more than 400ft inside a fence.

I just thought the OP wanted to know if the Valvoline grease was any good? I must of misread the OP post.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Reading through this thread,

if I'm understanding everything correctly, the OP is suppose to buy a drone and spray the tractor with grease and if the grease isn't tacky enough the FAA gets a phone call and won't allow him to use his tractor more than 400ft inside a fence.

I just thought the OP wanted to know if the Valvoline grease was any good? I must of misread the OP post.
Bmyers, your re-phrasing of the question is exactly as useful as is the OPs posed question WHICH DOES NOT identify or specify ANY “type” of Valvoline grease.... of which there are at least a half-DOZEN DIFFERENT GREASES produced under the brand-name “Valvoline”.

YOU tell him the grease he’s holding is correct... or if the GRADE he has is suitable.... and We can continue the interesting-read of this thread when you two decide who will pay for any damage it creates if it’ the wrong stuff.

“Hey guys! If I buy fuel For my tractor at a Mobil station pump for my tractor .... is it good?” 🙄

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Bmyers, your re-phrasing of the question is exactly as useful as is the OPs posed question WHICH DOES NOT identify or specify ANY “type” of Valvoline grease.... of which there are at least a half-DOZEN DIFFERENT GREASES produced under the brand-name “Valvoline”.

YOU tell him the grease he’s holding is correct... or if the GRADE he has is suitable.... and We can continue the interesting-read of this thread when you two decide who will pay for any damage it creates if it’ the wrong stuff.

“Hey guys! If I buy fuel For my tractor at a Mobil station pump for my tractor .... is it good?” 🙄
I guess you didn't click on the link that he provided as to which grease he was referring to.

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle Moly-Fortified Gray Grease 14.1 OZ Cartridge

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My benchmark for good grease (any flavor besides clay based which is crap) is, if you get it on your hands (inevitable at some point) and it don't come off easily, it's pretty good stuff. The LE grease I use is almost impossible to get off my hands. It sticks like glue and has to be solvent washed off most times.

Very important for what I do.