Using the WC88 chipper

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
My back is finally feeling better (had spasms last week, hurt like hell) and it has stopped raining for a few minutes so. . .

I cut down a few small trees that are in the way of my planned yard expansion and chipped them. Nothing big. 3" was the biggest I chipped tho I did take down a standing dead one about 20" in diameter - but that's firewood.

The hardest part in taking a pic was the control bar being tripped off by branches that rubbed up against it. Normally I would be standing to the side holding it out to control the hydraulic feed. Can't take a pic like that tho :)
20240415_153222.jpg

As expected the chipper easily went through everything I threw in. I wasn't sure how it would treat the vines that were entangled with the branches. No problem there either.

20240415_153316.jpg

You can see one pile of pines in the background. When things dry out it will be chip time for them.

Reactions: 3 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
You can see one pile of pines in the background. When things dry out it will be chip time for them.
Surprisingly to me, the manual that came with my Woodmaxx chipper said that dry wood dulls the knives faster than green wood. Surprising, because it's the opposite for table saw blades where the pitch buildup causes overheating.

Anectodal experience has confirmed that the chipper seems happier chewing green/wet evergreens more that old dried stuff.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Surprisingly to me, the manual that came with my Woodmaxx chipper said that dry wood dulls the knives faster than green wood. Surprising, because it's the opposite for table saw blades where the pitch buildup causes overheating.

Anectodal experience has confirmed that the chipper seems happier chewing green/wet evergreens more that old dried stuff.
That may be true, I have no reason to doubt it. What I meant by 'when things dry out' refers to the swale those pines are dumped in. During the spring rains that area is wet, very wet. If it ever stops raining I can get in there and start pulling them out to chip / firewood. I understand pine isn't a number 1 choice for firewood but I don't burn any so will just stack it on the street for free pickup.