Used L3901, 12 hours, 24k-ish$. Deal or no?

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Question 1: How much more tractor is an L3901 than my tiny B2601? I live on a steep mountain property. I need a mountain goat. The B is fantastic, but not a mountain goat Even requires 4wd mowing a perfectly flat lawn.

Question 2: Has anyone in the south regretted buying a cabbed machine with heat and air? Does it maintain resale value?

Story if you care to read more for context:
Went on a little drive today to the nearest few tractor dealers to walk my dog and myself, kick tires and think about upgrading my B2601 without sales people around. Very enjoyable thing for me to do on a beautiful Fall day.

Good to see lots plump with inventory. What a change from the last couple years. Closest Kubota guy has truckloads of BX and L30xx tractors ripe for the picking. Plenty of mini excavators too. I like the manager there. But his mechanic has two brain cells. I've bought 3 pieces of equipment there and anything that was dealer installed was done poorly. But that is another story.

Back home to get a battery for my old Yanmar at NAPA. They were closed... OK, I'll walk around the tiny tractor place next door since we're here. Had some new Massey Ferguson and LS stuff. Two clapped out JD's and an L3901 - Hmm. Ruby even thought about peeing on it. Just then the owner rolled in and we talked. It has 12 hours and a new aftermarket loader. Said it was his friends who bought it to till his garden. That would make a fine tiller. Said friend upgraded to a cabbed tractor with 50 HP. That is what I think I want, like a cabbed MX6000. Sounds like that guy went that way too.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
If you're thinking about buying the L3901,think carefully if you want to enter into the world of common-rail electronic control DPF equipped engines!
Your B is much less complex to own/repair.
Almost everyone who gets a cab tractor loves them!
Better yet,get one of each.
Good Luck!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have a L3901 and I’ve never had a B anything so I’m not any help on question 1.

So far as the question about cab tractors holding value… I’m a bit east of you but close enough to be in the same market. Yes, they hold value so long as the heat and air conditioning work.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
If you're thinking about buying the L3901,think carefully if you want to enter into the world of common-rail electronic control DPF equipped engines!
Your B is much less complex to own/repair.
Almost everyone who gets a cab tractor loves them!
Better yet,get one of each.
Good Luck!
One of each - LOL! I'm gonna need a bigger carport...

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I don’t have a L3901 and I’ve never had a B anything so I’m not any help on question 1.

So far as the question about cab tractors holding value… I’m a bit east of you but close enough to be in the same market. Yes, they hold value so long as the heat and air conditioning work.
I don't see many cabs here in the mountains except on farm tractors. Not sure why?

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
With the prices of used tractors, I would buy new and get a warranty. Plus I don't know if I would want an aftermarket loader.

Reactions: 1 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I am in Western NC, in the mountains at 4400’. I have an L3301 with ag tires (no cab). I would not want a cab because of the woods where I work a lot. Tree limbs and cabs do not get along well. Your circumstances may be different.

I bought my tractor 6 years ago when it had 3 years on it. No problems with the emissions system at all. I have wheel weights and filled tires (I bought the tractor that way). It is a very stable and great traction tractor. With ag tires, I am able to widen the stance. Other tires do not offer that flexibility.

if you are close by, you are welcome to come view the capability of my tractor in very steep terrain.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Your 2601 requires 4WD to mow a flat lawn? There's something wrong with your 2601 if that's the case.
I too have a 2601 I have to keep in 4wd if Im mowing, see the R4 tires they put on the little beast are skid steer tires, why I aint got a clue. And they are to be pumped to 40 psi, they will slip on dry dirt! Mine are filled and dropped to 20 psi,, it did help, not much but it did some. Maybe this is why I have seen so many 2601's with those retched R4 tires with chains,,, grrrrrrrrr

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Your 2601 requires 4WD to mow a flat lawn? There's something wrong with your 2601 if that's the case.
Agree. I don't mow in 4wd, it chews up the lawn in the corners. 4wd is for hills or mud. I don't mow when it's muddy. I only mow a few hills. Why do you need 4wd on the flat - traction? Is your lawn very wet?

An L3901 is quite a bit more tractor. It's still a small tractor, but it's a lot more than B. About 50% heavier. It's not that much more capable in terms of lift though - about 30% maybe.

What exactly would you want more, other than more traction? If you want more traction you may want to consider different tires in the B instead.

Cab would be great if you're in a climate that needs one. I'm not, and I like being able to reach overt he back of my machine to adjust stuff, and get on and off without opening and closing doors. Horses for courses though. No snow where I live.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I too have a 2601 I have to keep in 4wd if Im mowing, see the R4 tires they put on the little beast are skid steer tires, why I aint got a clue. And they are to be pumped to 40 psi, they will slip on dry dirt! Mine are filled and dropped to 20 psi,, it did help, not much but it did some. Maybe this is why I have seen so many 2601's with those retched R4 tires with chains,,, grrrrrrrrr
Glad I'm not the only one! If there is a heavy implement on the back, such as my 600 something pound finish mower, in the raised there is no problem with traction in 2wd. When it is on the ground the back is too light and the mower shoves it around. Same for my 4 foot heavy duty Bush Hog. In 2wd it will do burnouts every time you turn if she's not in 4wd. It's fine. I just take my time and do gentle 3 point turns. Very comfortable and productive to mow with.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Agree. I don't mow in 4wd, it chews up the lawn in the corners. 4wd is for hills or mud. I don't mow when it's muddy. I only mow a few hills. Why do you need 4wd on the flat - traction? Is your lawn very wet?

An L3901 is quite a bit more tractor. It's still a small tractor, but it's a lot more than B. About 50% heavier. It's not that much more capable in terms of lift though - about 30% maybe.

What exactly would you want more, other than more traction? If you want more traction you may want to consider different tires in the B instead.

Cab would be great if you're in a climate that needs one. I'm not, and I like being able to reach overt he back of my machine to adjust stuff, and get on and off without opening and closing doors. Horses for courses though. No snow where I live.
I want more confidence on steep side hills. Yes, go up and down of course. But this is a steep mountain property and I can't avoid running cross slope in some areas (I hear ya'll have a few mountains down your way too - LOL). Also, my ancient Yanmar slides out before it gets tippy. The B2601 gets tippy quick. I've gotten off in my yard and easily lifted the rear uphill tire. Maybe 40 pound effort.

Cab preference is a luxury item for conditioned air in the summer mostly. This area is basically a humid rain forest. Still debating, it does complicate the examples you mentioned. We get 3-5 little snow storms a winter. Once in a decade or three we'll get a meter of snow. Seen that once in my life, 1992/3 winter if memory serves.

PS, the old Yanmar died today while running the Bush Hog. Luckily I have tomorrow off to salve myself in diesel fuel. Definitely a fuel delivery issue. I might make another post about that. I was able to limp out of the area I was in to the road. 40 something years old. Bound to be issues.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
That was the aspect that stood out to me.
Raised my mental eyebrow too when I started doing the math... I agree with you and the other gentleman that mentioned it.

I stopped by to kick the tires again today. Pass. It is aftermarket and gear drive. I'm not opposed to either. Actually love gear drive for some applications. But that isn't my next tractor, in that configuration. However it would serve someone well without a doubt. He's also willing to sell it without the FEL. Even older than me guy running the place, by appointment only. I was happy to make his aquantaince. Would be happy to do business with him.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
I am in Western NC, in the mountains at 4400’. I have an L3301 with ag tires (no cab). I would not want a cab because of the woods where I work a lot. Tree limbs and cabs do not get along well. Your circumstances may be different.

I bought my tractor 6 years ago when it had 3 years on it. No problems with the emissions system at all. I have wheel weights and filled tires (I bought the tractor that way). It is a very stable and great traction tractor. With ag tires, I am able to widen the stance. Other tires do not offer that flexibility.

if you are close by, you are welcome to come view the capability of my tractor in very steep terrain.

Jack
Thanks @Tropical Jack

Wow you're way higher than me. That is soaring with the eagles in this area! Look for a private message coming your way. I would love to see your tractor and what you do with it. Exactly the kind of information I need before upgrading.

I also had the idea to start asking for demonstration units or rental before I fire the money bazooka at my next machine.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I want more confidence on steep side hills. Yes, go up and down of course. But this is a steep mountain property and I can't avoid running cross slope in some areas (I hear ya'll have a few mountains down your way too - LOL). Also, my ancient Yanmar slides out before it gets tippy. The B2601 gets tippy quick. I've gotten off in my yard and easily lifted the rear uphill tire. Maybe 40 pound effort.
I mow a couple of side hills with my B2601. Things I know about that:
  • Much more stable with no loader. Implement on 3ph also makes it less stable. Are you mowing with MMM or rear 3ph mower?
  • Speed is your enemy. Things that are OK slow are not OK fast. If you're doing it regularly that's a problem, cause now you have to go slow. I only have two small steep hillsides I do, so it's not a big deal to do them slowly
  • Getting off and lifting lets you know where you really are. I'm always surprised at how stable my B is compared to how I'm feeling. You obviously go steeper places than I do, or you have the loader on or something else upsetting the balance
  • People say loaded tires, I'm not a fan
  • Spacers, however, can make a big difference and are relatively inexpensive
Still not really clear on traction on the flat. Again, do you have the loader on? Traction much worse if you have weight on the front - it lifts the rears, and then they quite easily spin.

Cab preference is a luxury item for conditioned air in the summer mostly. This area is basically a humid rain forest. Still debating, it does complicate the examples you mentioned. We get 3-5 little snow storms a winter. Once in a decade or three we'll get a meter of snow. Seen that once in my life, 1992/3 winter if memory serves.
I can see that being useful, we don't have that kind of climate. Luckily.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina
Taking off the loader might be the ticket. I have to try that! Is that a "duh" moment for me? Thank you for suggesting that. I'm mowing with a 6 foot (180 cm) finish mower or a 4 foot (120 cm) heavy duty bush hog.

My dealer recommended leaving it on for forward ballast. So I never thought to try without. Easy enough experiment. I've never taken it off. So that would be a good learning point for me regardless of mowing side hills.

Speed? I creep when things get sketchy. Like ready to jump slow. I have one trail I can mow, but I am sideways crab walking. Pucker factor galore.

anomad

Equipment
YM2310D
Jun 10, 2021
Western North Carolina

Jack
Funny story. After a personal message. Mr Jack and I only live 10 miles away as the crow flies. But it is a 45 minute drive according to google. We live in the mountains ya'll. LOL!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep take the FEL off, it changes the whole geometry of the machine!