Tweaked Box blade

rroberts

Equipment
L2501
Sep 5, 2018
EDGEWOOD
I managed to tweak the scraper blade mount on my box blade, when the box is level on a level surface the back blade touches before the front blade, I had to take the back blade off to finish my work, any suggestions on how to get it straightened out?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Maybe it is me but what are you trying to say? You write about a scraper blade mount on a box blade with two blades.

Are you trying to ask about a bent land plane? Maybe a picture to clarify what you have.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Pictures would help a lot. Show us a picture of how you have the box blade mounted on the tractor. Include in the picture the three point top link and the lower arms. I suspect that all you need is an adjustment of the top link. However, a picture will help someone to determine exactly what is amiss.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You use the rear blade of the box blade to smooth out (that's when you extend the top link). You did not need to remove the rear blade to cut the surface, you just need to shorten the top link until the front blade makes contact to the surface (before the rear blade).

rroberts

Equipment
L2501
Sep 5, 2018
EDGEWOOD
I will get pictures later, you can adjust the top link as much as you want and the front of the box bottoms out while the front blade is still 1/2" off the ground. Everything was fine till I was backfilling a hole and caught an unseen object and now it's out of wack.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Are the scarifiers all the way up? Not trying to be a SA but that would stop your front blade from touching. I turn mine upside down when I’m not using them to make sure they don’t touch when I don’t need them. If they are chisel down, that will stop your blade from touching in the front until they dig in.

Also, put the top link in the bottom hole on the tractor if it is not there now. That will give you more tilt forward.

Are the lifting arms dropping all the way down?

Finally, check for any “tell marks” where the mounting plates that bolt to the box blade and come together to form the top link connection on the box blade. In other words, you may have shifted those mounting plates clockwise (view from the left side of the blade) and will have to take the box blade off the tractor, loosen the mounting bolts and see if the front drops back into the correct position.

Last edited:

rroberts

Equipment
L2501
Sep 5, 2018
EDGEWOOD
Quick update, I had the box inspected and it did indeed bend mounting point that the blades bolt to, the whole piece has shifted forward 3/8", It's going to the welders shop to be fix and ad some reinforcement bracing. That 3/8" was causing the rear blade to hit the ground long before the front bade would at any angle.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's nice you found out WHAT the problem was and have a solution. While I have great soil, neighbour 2000' away IS the 'terminal moraine' ! LOTS of every sized boulders and stones and clay and gravel and dirt.. Cannot use boxblade, it'd be destroyed...backhoe is the tool to use....

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I will get pictures later, you can adjust the top link as much as you want and the front of the box bottoms out while the front blade is still 1/2" off the ground. Everything was fine till I was backfilling a hole and caught an unseen object and now it's out of wack.
+++
Switch blades, front to back ?? ??

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I don't think switching blade positions will help where he is concerned, the whole mounting position for both blades is bent.