Turf?

Matt09

Equipment
B2650
Jul 28, 2021
Nova Scotia
I have had my 2650 for 7 years now purchased new. Whole time with ag tires. I have a backhoe, chipper an rear blower. Im using the tractor more crossing the lawn at new place an tired of rutting an destroying the lawn. Especially in spring an wet conditions. Im thinking of turf tires. Are there certain styles to avoid? Or will I regret the switch period? Anyone have experience with turfs? Thanks

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've got turfs on my 2650, loaded. I've not had any issues with tearing up surface and have not been limited by traction on any job. If it's wet and muddy, I just wait till things dry up a bit, obviously turfs don't do well in the wet mud. There are several videos on Messick's that demonstrates the traction capabilities of turfs. I mostly do loader and backhoe stuff so turfs were the obvious choice. They also have the plushest ride.

Matt09

Equipment
B2650
Jul 28, 2021
Nova Scotia
I've got turfs on my 2650, loaded. I've not had any issues with tearing up surface and have not been limited by traction on any job. If it's wet and muddy, I just wait till things dry up a bit, obviously turfs don't do well in the wet mud. There are several videos on Messick's that demonstrates the traction capabilities of turfs. I mostly do loader and backhoe stuff so turfs were the obvious choice. They also have the plushest ride.
Thanks Ya i hear they great in snow too. Probably go get a price from dealer. Wasn’t sure if there was different styles. Ones i seen on a friends were knobby. He loved em.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I switched to turf on my B7510 from the R4's, no regret at all. Done a lot of yard work with it and no problems in snow. I used it for mowing also so that was the main reason for the switch.

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Are turf tires able to be swapped directly onto your Ag rims? I thought that’s why R14’s we’re designed is that there wasn’t many options for more turf or hard surface friendly options that fit directly onto Ag rims. Keep in mind you need to ensure rotational outside diameter ratio is the same front and rear wheels or else damage to 4WD system can occur.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I believe that you'll be needing new rims whenever switching between tire types.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
One of the points of R14s is that you should be able to go from R1 rims or R4 rims to R14s. I would look to those. But also, if you called Messick’s, they could probably tell you what your rims would support. If you have a great local dealer, they would know as well. Bar/turf would be another option.

Another option is to attempt to swap with someone although after 7 years, your ag tires are probably getting close to end of life.

Finally, another option is to wait until the yard dries.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I have seen on here and many other place that you are better off ordering tires and rims (assembly) through the sales department and they are actually cheaper than tires alone through parts counter.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I removed the turfs on my SCUT and ZTR and put on R4's with no regrets. R4's have a little better floatation than the R1's. Grass tear up is less an issue. If you have soft wet clay soils you may see more tear up than turf. In the wet spots around my pond the R4's did better than the turfs because I have less wheel spin.

Reactions: 1 user

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Are turf tires able to be swapped directly onto your Ag rims? I thought that’s why R14’s we’re designed is that there wasn’t many options for more turf or hard surface friendly options that fit directly onto Ag rims. Keep in mind you need to ensure rotational outside diameter ratio is the same front and rear wheels or else damage to 4WD system can occur.
I have a B7510 turf special and I swapped ag tires on to my turf rims with no regrets so far. I have a FEL. and a box blade and it pulls and loads 2 or 3 times better than the turfs. I measured the tires for comparison and they matched.
I to looked into buying wheel tire combinations so I could go back and forth. But I need to be at a higher pay grade.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Wheels are wheels on SCUTs. There is no such thing as a turf wheel, ag wheel, or R-4 wheel. Look them up, they are all the same part number.

Where this myth originated from I have no idea, but it seems to perpetuate.

Chuck Woolery

Equipment
2021 Kubota B2601
Jun 4, 2021
Wisconsin
I have R14's on my B2601 (a little lighter than yours) and have zero problems driving on the grass, just don't do it in 4x4. I also have great traction in everything else. I haven't gotten into mud yet, but I'm not overly concerned either.

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
Wheels are wheels on SCUTs. There is no such thing as a turf wheel, ag wheel, or R-4 wheel. Look them up, they are all the same part number.

Where this myth originated from I have no idea, but it seems to perpetuate.
The parts manual on line shows 2 different part numbers. Of course it is online so it has to be true. I have a B7510 Turf special and it shows 2 different wheels. Besides the R-4 wheels have the valve stem protector and the turf wheels do not. That makes them different ......just saying.