Turbo BX2200

JoeysProjects

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 10, 2022
Sandwich MA
So i bought a house around a year ago, the yard was totally neglected and basically needed to be totally cleared and restarted. This gave me a great excuse to buy a sweet little BX2200 with a mower deck, heated cab and FEL. Love the thing, its great. Ive been a heavy equipment tech in the usaf for about 7 years. Been a backyard mechanic my whole life as well. I got a little bored waiting on parts for my project car (a 73 super beetle with a turbo diesel swap, find it on youtube, same username) which is a bad thing for a guy like me who cant leave anything alone. So long story short, my bx2200 has an ebay Gt15 turbo bolted to it now. Dont really expect much from it other than cool sounds and maybe a bit more power if i turn up the fuel a touch. I just thought id share it, i made the setup really easy to remove if needed, especially if it causes issues, i still need to use the machine quite a bit. Well, ill add the youtube link for the short i made, as well as making a longer video showing the complete setup in action. Thanks!
-Joe

NEW video https://youtube.com/shorts/vxq278OzOsI?feature=share

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Gonna follow this. I also have a BX2200. Probably wouldn't ever turbo it, but its a neat idea.

The real test would be to add an EGT probe and start turning up the fuel.

Reactions: 1 users

JoeysProjects

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 10, 2022
Sandwich MA
Definitely going to do that at some point, as well as a boost gauge, as i wasnt able to use the wastegate. I dont want to break anything. Like i said in the original post, its really a bare bones kit and an experiment, but if it adds even a little power and sounds good, to me thats worth it. It costed me around $200 to make the kit, and could be removed in 30 min if need be.

Reactions: 1 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Am i correct that there's no oil plumbing installed yet in the pics/video? Post pics of that part when you get it done!

I think it will be cool and not totally useless. I have considered turboing my B6100, although the engine/underhood layout on it, while objectively 'easy' for turbocharging, is still nowhere near as easy as THAT!!😂 It's like it was meant to be.

Well, technically the original turbo designer (i.e. not the copycat manufacturer in china) might say something about exceeding max 15 degree tilt for optimal oil drainback blah blah blah.. but it'll work. :sneaky:

JoeysProjects

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 10, 2022
Sandwich MA
UPDATE

Although that mounting location was simple, i wasnt able to route the exhaust AND keep all the original bumper/body panel locations. I didnt want to cut up my tractor. So i scrapped the whole thing and broke out the MIG and made a top mount manifold. Not only did everything work perfectly and without a hitch, but i used it all day long 2 days in a row to spread top soil, it definitely feels like it has a little more power, and less bogging with load. Oil gets fed from the oil pressure switch and drains into a hole i (reluctantly) drilled and tapped into the valve cover, with 8AN fittings. Sounds like it has some soul now! https://youtube.com/shorts/vxq278OzOsI?feature=share

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Oil gets fed from the oil pressure switch and drains into a hole i (reluctantly) drilled and tapped into the valve cover
I feel like the absolute best reason for mounting turbos up high (other than perhaps showing them off) is being able to drain them into the valve covers vs anywhere else on the engine. SO much easier!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Well...I understand your motivation. We all have our own ways to enjoy life.

BUT I can tell you that I have a BX2200 and after 18 years of use NEVER ran out of power. ALWAYS lost traction first. But I do keep the tractor in low range if that is where it should be for the work being done.

Would I do anything to increase the power on the BX? Nope! Not without first figuring out how to put more power to the ground...

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
Am i correct that there's no oil plumbing installed yet in the pics/video? Post pics of that part when you get it done!

I think it will be cool and not totally useless. I have considered turboing my B6100, although the engine/underhood layout on it, while objectively 'easy' for turbocharging, is still nowhere near as easy as THAT!!😂 It's like it was meant to be.

Well, technically the original turbo designer (i.e. not the copycat manufacturer in china) might say something about exceeding max 15 degree tilt for optimal oil drainback blah blah blah.. but it'll work. :sneaky:
I didn't see an oil feed or drain either.

That turbo is going to have a short life, even after that short startup and run shown in the video. I'm sure it was running a lot more than what we had seen in the video too.

JoeysProjects

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 10, 2022
Sandwich MA
I didn't see an oil feed or drain either.

That turbo is going to have a short life, even after that short startup and run shown in the video. I'm sure it was running a lot more than what we had seen in the video too.
Air force heavy equipment tech, 10 years. You can run a turbo for a short period, as long as the bearing isnt dry. You should pay closer attention to detail, stainless steel braided hose running to the top of the turbo….. See the new youtube link 👍🏼

JoeysProjects

Equipment
BX2200
Oct 10, 2022
Sandwich MA
Well...I understand your motivation. We all have our own ways to enjoy life.

BUT I can tell you that I have a BX2200 and after 18 years of use NEVER ran out of power. ALWAYS lost traction first. But I do keep the tractor in low range if that is where it should be for the work being done.

Would I do anything to increase the power on the BX? Nope! Not without first figuring out how to put more power to the ground...
thats great! I plan on keeping my machine forever. Adding a turbo will increase efficiency by default, even if im not getting power gains, which wasnt really what im looking for anyway

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Technically, any time your diesel exhaust is visible (other than heat distortion) you're not burning all the fuel you're using. But diesel people seem to love looking at their exhaust particulates coming out of the pipe, so i doubt that thought will resonate.. lol