Trouble with connecting hydraulic hoses!!!

DaveN

Equipment
B3200
Apr 15, 2013
Boone, NC
I took off my snow plow, and want to put my bucket back on, but I CAN NOT get the two bucket hydraulic lines connected! I can not push hard enough on the connecters to get the sleeve where it needs to be. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Thanks

Battered Sav

Equipment
L2000DT (L225DT) Tiller, Slasher, Finishing mower, Ripper, grader/ripper, PHD.
Oct 1, 2012
Melbourne Australia
With the tractor off (not running) try cycling the hydraulic levers a few times to relieve any line pressure.
Also some quick couplings are easier to connect if you pull back the collar as you push the hose on.

HTH.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Problem: to much pressure in line.

Solution: relieve pressure :)

Take a screwdriver to the female end, line it up with the nipple inside. Strike the back of screwdriver with a hammer or blunt object. (CAUTION!!!! be sure the hose is point in a safe direction, not at your face, or toward anything you don't want fluid on. By doing this method it cause a tiny amount of fluid to squirt out). It's not at high pressure, but it's like popping a pimple. They squirt. Harmless but messy.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Lines are pressurized yep. I overfilled the transmission flushing machine at the quick lube once or twice. The tank was pressurized and the fittings locked just as you describe. The solution was what Ken described, holding a socket extension in the fitting while slamming it into the concrete floor, that relieved the pressure.

BX25Owner

Equipment
BX25
Apr 4, 2013
Nottingham, PA
I just had this problem with my FEL, my son decided to move the hydraulic lever with the FEL off. Man did it take a while to get the pressure off, I moved the lever about 10 times back and forth with tractor turned off and they finally went on.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Implement hoses holding pressure needs to be bled off before connecting to tractor.

I'm not a fan of banging or slamming or using a hammer or screwdriver. Too easy to gouge your hand or ruin the poppet in the hose end.

Be cautious when removing implement to shut off machine and relieve all pressure using tractor hydraulic controls.

I've seen a shop-built jigger made from a C-clamp that had a U-yoke welded crosswise on the bottom: hold the hose end in the U and screw the clamp pad down to push poppet and relieve pressure.

Might do something similar holding hose end in portable stand or bench vise and hooking C-clamp somehow under vise body and on top of hose end. Or grip hose end between two 2x's clamped together then use C-clamp to depress poppet. Sounds troublesome but doing it right could save repairing a leaky or nonfunctional hose.

Watch out for fluid under pressure as can penetrate skin / eyes.

Good luck and please advise back how accomplished without damaging hose end fitting.

DaveN

Equipment
B3200
Apr 15, 2013
Boone, NC
I put the female end of one of the two implement hoses I was having trouble with in a vise, placed the end of a screwdriver on the nipple, gave it a tap with a hammer, and a small amount of fluid came out under pretty high pressure. Did the same with the second hose. Then I lined each up with the male receivers and both went on without any further difficulty.

Thanks for the help guys!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
For the record I feel your pain. When new at this long time ago managed to same way ruin a hose-end and have been cautious since.

May I suggest that as you describe clamping hose end in vise then use a blunt flat something (1/2-in drive socket extension bar perhaps) to depress the center poppet?

Screwdriver can burr or gouge and then you get to dress that dang thing with a file very gently and very carefully because any pressure pushes it and metal filings back into hose. A learning experience you can avoid.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
WOW... bagging... slamming !!!! All bad ideas.

The reason the fittings won't go back together is because of residual pressure. So yes... we need to relive the pressure. But, it's simple.

On the tractor side: Engien off... move the control stick around. The pressure will bleed off.

Implement side: Get an open end wrench, and a rag. Put the rag under a line fitting, and then simply crack/open the fitting. You don't have to take it apart... just loosen it enough for a little oil to trickle out.

It's really not a big deal, and you should never need force with the hydro system.

FYI... I learned this lesson the first day I had my Kubota. ;)

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
After you shut the tractor off, jiggle the handles! I do it every time. If I later decide to drop the front end loader, or back hoe, or whatever, all of the pressure is gone. It only takes a second. Key off, jiggle the handles. It goes along with never leaving a three point attachment up in the air, shut the tractor off, drop the three point. No one gets hurt by a falling attachment later. Sounds simple, saves time later.

Jerry