Tree Puller for a Kubota?

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I'm afraid it's more like 100 or more. Most are < 3" in soft black dirt.
I have fields full of huge Russian olives. They don’t root deeply at all. Some of the huge ones I cut ground level. But most of them I can get out pretty easily.

certain trees have a huge tap root. Hickory and oak are almost impossible. Walnut has a decent tap root too. But others like Russian olives are shallow.

what kind of trees are they? This is a black walnut

4AE1E1EC-EC27-44D0-93BE-09BAF6BCB5A3.jpeg

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Those tree pullers work OK on a little tractor, but don't have big expectations. I bought one for my L2501. There are many variables on the size tree that you can pull up with it, which has pretty much been mentioned already. In short, you will probably realize you will not be able to pull up anything very big with it it. I do not regret buying it as it can be used for posts and even grabbing stuff. The picture of the tree pulled is really bigger than I can pull up most of the time. That one was in wet soil, so it came out without too much work.

I have found that my root grapple can get out a bigger tree fairly easy. If I can push it over, I can work it back and forth and get under it and pop it out with the grapple. It is best to push it over, cut it off about waste high. Move the cut portion out of the way and then work on getting the rest out of the ground by pushing on it from different directions. Grabbing a pushed over tree still in the ground puts uneven force on the loader/grapple..

tree puller.jpg

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I have a Titan hydraulic tree puller attachment. I used it on my MX5800 for a year or so but struggled with anything over 4” or so. I later got a track loader and that plucks 4” with ease. I would not consider trying to use this on my L3901, I’d be to concerned with FEL damage. If you are doing a small number, ok take your time......
UpNorth I'm considering buying that puller, not for trees per say but rose, barberry, and olive bushes which I have scattered over my acreage. Do you think a small L can handle this?

I just noticed Nicfin's post, looks like it should work for my use.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
UpNorth I'm considering buying that puller, not for trees per say but rose, barberry, and olive bushes which I have scattered over my acreage. Do you think a small L can handle this?

I just noticed Nicfin's post, looks like it should work for my use.
With my grapple, I pull out barberry the size of vw beetles. Once you get the technique down, it’s easy. It also works great on Russian olives. I have an LX2610. Plenty of power for those things

27234713-BFD4-4355-BCC7-0BEDDC879B3D.jpeg

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
i7win7 - - - that's great feedback/experience for the OP! (y)

Maybe give him the make/model of the puller you have.
1st pic shows KUBOTA STP25 haven't worn the labels off yet;)

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Thanks for all of the replies. My problem trees are mostly Honey Locust with a few Cedar, some kind of a Poplar and then a misc variety.

I guess my thought is to clean up what I can and hire some heavier equipment to take out the big stuff. I have a toothed bucket and pretty serious grapple. I'll see what I can do with them.

My plan to date has been he chain saw / Tordon route. It's effective but its a ton of physical labor. I just plumbed in the 3rd function valve for the grapple so I'm exploring options.

Of course, I can always pay someone with a skid steer which may be the easiest in the end. It's just not as much fun.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Thanks for all of the replies. My problem trees are mostly Honey Locust with a few Cedar, some kind of a Poplar and then a misc variety.

I guess my thought is to clean up what I can and hire some heavier equipment to take out the big stuff. I have a toothed bucket and pretty serious grapple. I'll see what I can do with them.

My plan to date has been he chain saw / Tordon route. It's effective but its a ton of physical labor. I just plumbed in the 3rd function valve for the grapple so I'm exploring options.

Of course, I can always pay someone with a skid steer which may be the easiest in the end. It's just not as much fun.

You could get as much done as possible with your equipment. Then do a 1 day rental on a skidsteer. then you get to have the fun of running the skidsteer. Did that for a friend of mine, he rented the equipment and i ran it for him. My little bx has pulled out way more than i ever though it would be able to. However with the BH I can pretty much dig up any sized tree with enough time and patience.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
With my grapple, I pull out barberry the size of vw beetles. Once you get the technique down, it’s easy. It also works great on Russian olives. I have an LX2610. Plenty of power for those things
Barberry seems to have a root ball and pops out easily, but I have less luck with olive and rose which seems to slide right through the grapple tines. I may invest in a tree puller, an inexpensive one like Titan, because if it works at all it should save a lot of work.