Treadle Pedal reverse

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Wondering whether anyone has any tips on how to more easily work the treadle pedal for reverse.

I find that getting ones toe underneath the "forward" part and heel on the reverse end works the best but still not as easy to use as the JD/other separate reverse pedal. Need that leverage of the toe underneath because just pushing on the rear part of the treadle is too stiff. Think Kubota has overdone safety concerns about backing up, but this is often the way to run a bush hog and is needed A LOT when using the FEL on deep snow.

Wondering about getting a crutch and using it upside down with right hand on the crutch and left hand on steering to go backwards. With the crutch thus reversed, one could hook it underneath the "toe" part and use leverage to push on rear part. Sorta like hand controls for a person without use of feet.

Some L2501 users with HST had said they use a stick to work the brakes. Not much different.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The toe under the tram peddle works very well onthe BX but not so well on the B at least that is how I find it

Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, I simply rock my boot back and forth on top of the pedal. It takes a small amount of extra force for reverse, but it is hardly noticeable. The overall throw of the pedal for reverse is much less, but easy to manage. I will say that the force required for both forward and reverse have decreased with use; I am at 70+ hours since March 2021.

Reactions: 3 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I tried the under the pedal thing initially and never got it to work well. I now either have my foot on top of the pedal and rock it back and forth for both forward and reverse; or have my heel on the floor, toe on pedal (forward), toe on floor, heel on pedal (reverse). I prefer the first method when doing a lot of directional change, second method when not doing much directional change. I also tend to do repetitive physical tasks at least two different ways if practical as that reduces fatigue and repetitive motion maladies such as joint pain, tendinitis, etc. (at least it does for me).

Have about 260 hrs on the machine at this point. It was a bit of an awkward learning curve at first. After about 20 hours I started thinking about it less and just doing it. After about 40 hours the tractor was just going the direction I wanted at the speed I wanted without thinking about the pedal or my foot.

Honestly, if I had to use a crutch or stick or something similar to reverse the machine and another manufacturer had a setup I could run properly, I’d trade it out for something I could run properly. Not talking about someone with a temporary or permanent disability who requires modification of controls; if you just hate the treadle, can’t get used to efficient use, or won’t mess with it long enough to get used to efficient use I would test drive other set ups and get a machine you’re comfortable operating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Not much experience but I am finding that moving the seat up a little does two things. I can press directly down on the reverse treadle petal using my leg straight down instead of using just my ankle. The second advantage is my leg is forward enough to miss the loader arm when reversing most of the time. The loader arm when looking over my right shoulder is easy to hit and drop the bucket. I have less than 7 hours on the tractor. I have to stop and think about it but it is getting more natural as I drive it more. Where you step on the reverse petal seems to matter also. I think you get more leverage on the round part of the petal. It is far different than a gear tractor where the clutch moves the tractor. I am also having some trouble getting used to it. But hopefully eventually it will become second nature.

Reactions: 1 users

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
As I said, it's taken me time to get used to reverse in the B2601. Not sure if my chock therapy helped weaken that stiff spring. There's information on this board about switching out the spring too.
Chock 6-14-21.jpg

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
B2601 is notoriously stiff in reverse. Just how it is, no 'stretching' is going to fix that. I wouldnt jam things or mod around the pedal either. I found the most effective technique was doing what @top gnome said, put heel on reverse, push leg straight down.

Wait till you back up, and your leg hits the loader joystick base without knowing, which is placed too close to the operator's foot, and you dump the loader onto the ground while looking behind going full reverse 😲

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’ve always hooked the treadle pedal with my toes to reverse (including the B2601). For me, it’s just as easy as having two separate pedals.

Mike

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
As I said, it's taken me time to get used to reverse in the B2601. Not sure if my chock therapy helped weaken that stiff spring. There's information on this board about switching out the spring too.
View attachment 74061
If the spring is made out of any steel that is resilient (it would have to be to work for years or even the life of the tractor), the constant compression will have nearly no impact. If the compression did work, you would probably need to replace the spring as it would have taken a set or otherwise be too weak - leading to inadvertent reversing.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have a hand lever extension on both my L2501 and B7100. In this picture you can see the lever and the funky bend I needed to give me full travel forward and reverse and still not be in the way. I have a fair amount of other folks that drive my tractors and its amazing even with fully functional treadle pedal how many I see using the hand lever. It offers a lot of leverage with good feel for doing fine work.
IMG_4417.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken, do you market that hand lever?
I appreciate you asking but I do not. I was able to fabricate these levers for my tractors but I find there are a lot of variables , not only in tractors but operators! :)

• Love

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
On my BX I have a hard time with an ailing hip lifting my heel while sitting in that position. I also find it easier to use my toe under the forward pedal, I wish it had separate pedals side x side.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
B2601 is notoriously stiff in reverse. Just how it is, no 'stretching' is going to fix that. I wouldnt jam things or mod around the pedal either. I found the most effective technique was doing what @top gnome said, put heel on reverse, push leg straight down.

Wait till you back up, and your leg hits the loader joystick base without knowing, which is placed too close to the operator's foot, and you dump the loader onto the ground as your looking behind going full reverse!
I learned to lock the loader.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
On my BX I have a hard time with an ailing hip lifting my heel while sitting in that position. I also find it easier to use my toe under the forward pedal, I wish it had separate pedals side x side.
This works on the BX but not so well on B2601 because the pedal is physically different, esp if you have big feet 👣

I learned to lock the loader.
Hard to lock the loader while doing loader work.

Last edited:

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
This works on the BX but not so well on B2601 because the pedal is physically different, esp if you have big feet.

Hard to lock the loader while doing loader work.
Yep I thought it might be different since the BX pedal above deck is separate. I was a little younger and really can't remember on my 05 B7510 but from what I remember.. it was not a problem! Anyone confirm if it was separate pedals or above deck rocker?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a hand lever extension on both my L2501 and B7100. In this picture you can see the lever and the funky bend I needed to give me full travel forward and reverse and still not be in the way. I have a fair amount of other folks that drive my tractors and its amazing even with fully functional treadle pedal how many I see using the hand lever. It offers a lot of leverage with good feel for doing fine work. View attachment 74064
So you have a winch hooked up to the pedal? I can't correlate you picture with your text.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
So you have a winch hooked up to the pedal? I can't correlate you picture with your text.
I see a lever with a funky bend at the right side of the photo. I think you will find it connects to the pedal so it can be operated with the right hand.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ok, I had to go back and look and found the funky lever. So what's the winch for?
I use a wheelchair full time and that is part of the contraption I built to get up and into the tractor seat. I call it a seat lift, also the reason I made the hand controls for the HST and clutch.