TREAD WIDTH how to enlarge ?

Mercvrinvs

Equipment
L2202DT-M
Apr 20, 2013
FRANCE
Hi !

I have a DT tractor (L2202 gray market) & I can't enlarge the front axle width.

I don't have rims with many possible positions...

So can I reverse the rims (inside to outside) to enlarge the tread width ?

Is that will cause problems to my axles ?

I don't read this possibility in User's Manual of Lxx50 series....

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I'm not familiar with your tractors model but on most tractors one can reverse rims to change tire tread settings without ill affects except frt tread widths have limitations when a FEL is installed.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
My 3800s manual states very specifically that the front wheels can only be used in their intended installation. If your front wheels have positive camber (top of wheel slants away from tractor) you could end up placing much more strain on your bearings leading to premature failure. You can look at different wheel and tire combinations to go larger.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Hi !

I have a DT tractor (L2202 gray market) & I can't enlarge the front axle width.

I don't have rims with many possible positions...

So can I reverse the rims (inside to outside) to enlarge the tread width ?

Is that will cause problems to my axles ?

I don't read this possibility in User's Manual of Lxx50 series....
Reversing the rims will put a strain on the wheel bearings and you. That is you trying to steer it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why to you want to widen the front end?
Stability comes from widening the rear end.

You can do a lot of damage in a quick hurry to the front end buy reversing the rims!

Mercvrinvs

Equipment
L2202DT-M
Apr 20, 2013
FRANCE
I wanted to enlarge the front thread 'cause of the front wheels are smaller than at the rear.

When I turn on the slope, sometimes the rear wheels are raised....

So I prefer do that in 'reverse driving' (I don't know if it's the correct expression?)...

But I ever have some problems in the front left wheel. I don't want more. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My friend if I understand you,, you are turning up hill while traveling along the hill side,, please do your self a favor and do as little turning on a hill side as you can,,, If fact please don't drive along the hill side if you can avoid it.
Doing this tosses all the stability of the tractor out the window and will set you up for a roll over, not a good thing:eek:,,,
Also you may think about filling your rear tires with water or anti freeze or something else,,,
A little more weight in the rear end will make a world of difference in how your little tractor handles and how stable it becomes

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Eventually you will break your wrists, and all of the steering linkage.

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
Mercvrinvs;81947 When I turn on the slope said:
You could make the front wheels 10 feet wide but it wont make the slightest difference to your problem. The front axle is hinged on a central pin near the diff. The width of the front wheels has no affect on stability until you reach the limit of swing on that pin. The rear wheels will still lift regardless of front wheel width. (A really wide front width might ultimately stop you from actually rolling, but I still wouldn't guarantee it.)

Last edited:

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
You could make the front wheels 10 feet wide but it wont make the slightest difference to your problem. The front axle is hinged on a central pin near the diff. The width of the front wheels has no affect on stability until you reach the limit of swing on that pin. The rear wheels will still lift regardless of front wheel width. (A really wide front width might ultimately stop you from actually rolling, but I still wouldn't guarantee it.)
This is a very good point. Too many people don't understand this. I won't own a 4wd for many reasons. I need an adjustable front axle to fit the rows for my garden.(large enough to sell at a Farmer's Market.)

I had an L245DT. My British Leyland with loaded tires and 150# on each rear wheel would pull more than the Kubota. I like the torque of the 1500cc engine over the 1103cc engine of the Kubota.

I have 2 B6100E's, 1 b7100 hst and 1 M5400 that I am just starting to use. I have green, blue, orange and red equipment. I bleed whatever color gets the job done and I got it cheap.