Trash in Hydraulic System

wgsmiss11

Dec 14, 2011
Madison, MS
Hi All,

I managed to allow a couple of pieces of pine straw to get into my otherwise clean hydraulic tank on my L2800 while adding fluid for my new stump grinder. Should I replace my relatively new (25 hr) fluid and filter or do you all think I'd be okay relying on the filter to do it's job before damaging anything? I just hate the idea of tossing $150 or so of good fluid if not necessary. I've not run it since this unfortunate incident occur - tractor has 150 hr. on it.

Thanks,
Greg

wgsmiss11

Dec 14, 2011
Madison, MS
Thanks Bruce, my thoughts as well. I'll just hope nothing serious occurs. I am due a hyd. filter change at 200 hr. and I'll assume that gets it at that point and go on with the fluid to 400 hr.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thanks Bruce, my thoughts as well. I'll just hope nothing serious occurs. I am due a hyd. filter change at 200 hr. and I'll assume that gets it at that point and go on with the fluid to 400 hr.
Straw is not very abrasive to metal. The internal workings will likely grind it to a fine powder and the filter will take care of the debris.

If your hydraulics start to get sluggish it may be wise to try a new filter only before 200 hrs. However, it would take a lot of straw to plug a filter and you are only 50 hrs away.