Transporting BX23S

Fliterisk

Equipment
BX23S
May 5, 2022
Montana
Hello All.
New guy here with my first tractor.....a new BX23S delivered a week ago. I am absolutely loving it and already have 27 hours on it. I have ordered the Bxpanded Piranha bar, belly skid plate, backhoe bucket quick change and the 6" trenching bucket. Can't wait to get them. I was just looking today at some trailers and I think I found the perfect fit for the tractor. It's a 14'/2' dovetail, double axle with electric brakes and a wood deck. I picked it after reading all the opinions on this forum which was way helpful. Everybody seemed to be in favor of the wood deck. I think I will need to fabricate my own ramp since the trailer ramps are wider apart and meant more for a car? I do have questions for you all about transporting the tractor. Such as where do you make your tie down connections? Are the hooks located near the backhoe steps for that purpose? The ones that say "this is not a step". I will be hauling it with both loader and backhoe.....no mower. I was looking at the front as well and wondering where you secure it?
Also, after reading through past discussions most folks seem to be of the opinion to use chains and not straps. Is there a preferred load binder you use? The ratcheting ones or the lever ones? I think I will pick up the trailer next week.
Also also.....what RPM do you prefer to run with when using the backhoe?
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks Much! Tom

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Can't help directly, but you might in the meantime while waiting for answers, check out the following thread, which has a lot of useful info that is related, although not specific to the BX23S:

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I just got a BX23S earlier this year. I also got the BXpanded quick-change and I'm so glad I did. Get a couple of spare linch pins ... I don't think it's an issue with a regular bucket, but I lost two using the BXpanded ripper blade. They're 19 cents a piece at tractor supply. I also got the BXpanded skid plate...it installs pretty easily.

I run the engine around 2300rpm when I'm operating the backhoe. I figured I'd keep the revs down for a while, and I'm new to all this. What I am seeing is how the cycle times on operations starts adding up, especially since I can't do all moves simultaneously. So I'm beginning to get a little more strategic in my operating. After my 50 hour service I will likely bump up the revs to see if that speeds things up.

I'm not very knowledgeable about trailers and trailering, but we did transport it once, in a 16' dump trailer. We used straps. I was obsessing at first. The tractor is not very heavy so I'm not sure the chains vs straps distinction is particularly relevant. We only had two straps, which meant we couldn't cross-strap it, which was disappointing. I wasn't particularly happy with our approach and if I ever get a trailer will give a lot more time to thinking about my system.

Last edited:

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I used to have a BX23 and trailered it quite a bit. In the front, I used grab hooks on the front bumper. In the rear, I don't remember for sure but I think I put grab hooks on the backhoe side steps. As I recall they were pretty solid on that tractor.

I would definitely recommend chains over straps personally. I think chains are easier to deal with, don't need to worry about cutting them on a sharp edge, and they are useful beyond just securing things. I'd also definitely recommend the ratchet-type binders over lever. Beyond the safety issues with lever binders, the ratchet binders are just better. No trial and error on which link you want to use. You can always get them the tightness you want.

Here's an old pic I still had hosted that shows how I'd attach the front (although I've since gotten smaller binders). I like a true four-point tie-down when possible. A lot of people will say that requires four chains, but that's not true. I have two 20' chains with grab hooks at the ends, and then I pinned two grab hooks midway on each chain. This way I keep the chains 20' long in case I need them for something else, but they effectively act as four chains when tied down.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
2500-2800 for BH operations. it's not a fast machine but powerful for it's size.
Yes you can use those 'loops' by the footsteps. I KNOW the left one is very well welded on. Used it ,3/8 chain and big tractor to 'tug' the BX23S out of a peatbog last week.had to step UP off the tractor to get out.
car ramps 'should' be adjustable...slide left/right. if not modify them for YOUR use(keeps others form 'borrowing' it !
Front tires only last 3 years/749.9 hrs if 50/50 road driving....

Check the front axle for oil ! Odds are it's low....
depending of local road rules, you'll need to strap down the bucket and the BH bucket...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
One think I learned recently (and mentioned directly above) is that in MT or WY you need to have the bucket secured to the trailer independently of any bindings securing the tractor to the trailer even if it's connected via the SSQA interface. The dealer I bought the M6060 from in Sheridan, WY was cited for not having this done during delivery of a new tractor.

As for MT regulations regarding trailers, any trailer over 3k GVW which yours would be with the BX on board, must have electric brakes on each wheel that are capable of operating for up to 15 minutes if the trailer and tow vehicle separate. Chains connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle are not required although every trailer I've seen comes with them.

+1 for ratcheting binders and 5/16" is more than adequate.

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
One think I learned recently (and mentioned directly above) is that in MT or WY you need to have the bucket secured to the trailer independently of any bindings securing the tractor to the trailer even if it's connected via the SSQA interface…..
I always thought that to be a federal thing. While I have not been stopped yet while towing, I have heard of other local contractors being stopped for a 3pt implements not being selectively secured to the trailer, even though it’s hooked to the tractor. I don’t secure my FEL or back hoe (just pin it up), but I also don’t lure the attention like the bigger machines do. In NJ…

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I always thought that to be a federal thing. While I have not been stopped yet while towing, I have heard of other local contractors being stopped for a 3pt implements not being selectively secured to the trailer, even though it’s hooked to the tractor. I don’t secure my FEL or back hoe (just pin it up), but I also don’t lure the attention like the bigger machines do. In NJ…
As far as I'm aware, in Montana a non-commercial vehicle operating in an unsafe manner could/would be stopped by a state trooper, sheriff or city police officer. I'm not aware of any federal law enforcement entities involved in stopping non-commercial vehicles for infractions related to driving.

The state of Montana contracts commercial supervision to Motor Carrier Services (MCS) that have no jurisdiction over non-commercial vehicles or combination of vehicles under 26k lbs. They run weigh stations in the state as well as patrol the roads and highways.

"The Motor Carrier Services Division (MCS) protects Montana's and the Federal Government's investment in Montana's highway system and ensures the safety of the traveling public through uniform regulation of the commercial motor carrier industry and enforcement of all state and federal commercial motor carrier laws, rules, and regulations."

My point is that the Kubota dealer that was stopped was cited by MCS at a weigh station since they're a commercial entity. I passed at least four weigh stations on the 600 mile trip home with the M6060, but since the truck, trailer and tractor combination was under 26k lb and I'm not a commercial operator I didn't have to stop for an inspection. The chances of being pulled over by a state trooper, sheriff or city police officer are next to zero unless I'm breaking typical traffic laws such as speeding.

Last edited:

Fliterisk

Equipment
BX23S
May 5, 2022
Montana
Can't help directly, but you might in the meantime while waiting for answers, check out the following thread, which has a lot of useful info that is related, although not specific to the BX23S:

Will do...Thx!

Fliterisk

Equipment
BX23S
May 5, 2022
Montana
I used to have a BX23 and trailered it quite a bit. In the front, I used grab hooks on the front bumper. In the rear, I don't remember for sure but I think I put grab hooks on the backhoe side steps. As I recall they were pretty solid on that tractor.

I would definitely recommend chains over straps personally. I think chains are easier to deal with, don't need to worry about cutting them on a sharp edge, and they are useful beyond just securing things. I'd also definitely recommend the ratchet-type binders over lever. Beyond the safety issues with lever binders, the ratchet binders are just better. No trial and error on which link you want to use. You can always get them the tightness you want.

Here's an old pic I still had hosted that shows how I'd attach the front (although I've since gotten smaller binders). I like a true four-point tie-down when possible. A lot of people will say that requires four chains, but that's not true. I have two 20' chains with grab hooks at the ends, and then I pinned two grab hooks midway on each chain. This way I keep the chains 20' long in case I need them for something else, but they effectively act as four chains when tied down.

I think I will do the same thing. Thx

Fliterisk

Equipment
BX23S
May 5, 2022
Montana
2500-2800 for BH operations. it's not a fast machine but powerful for it's size.
Yes you can use those 'loops' by the footsteps. I KNOW the left one is very well welded on. Used it ,3/8 chain and big tractor to 'tug' the BX23S out of a peatbog last week.had to step UP off the tractor to get out.
car ramps 'should' be adjustable...slide left/right. if not modify them for YOUR use(keeps others form 'borrowing' it !
Front tires only last 3 years/749.9 hrs if 50/50 road driving....

Check the front axle for oil ! Odds are it's low....
depending of local road rules, you'll need to strap down the bucket and the BH bucket...
I will check the front axle oil today. I didn't think i would need to so soon but now I think I better. I did find a short blip in the owners manual on securing the tractor on a trailer (page 76). Like you said they show the hooks by the steps as a tie down point.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I will check the front axle oil today. I didn't think i would need to so soon but now I think I better. I did find a short blip in the owners manual on securing the tractor on a trailer (page 76). Like you said they show the hooks by the steps as a tie down point.
What dealer did you buy your BX from?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I live in Hamilton so they were closest
Lovely spot. I don't know anything about that dealership but know a lot about Parsons up here who are excellent. You wouldn't have needed to check the front axle oil if you'd bought from Parsons but it's a moot point now.