Transmission Liquid 1979 B7100

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I am new to OrangeTractors and just got my first Kubota on Monday. Drive Great, diesel purrs like a kitten. But I tend to assume that prior owners don't take care of fluids and other maint line they should so I started checking them. Engine oil and filter are ancient, rust on filter. Only water in the radiator, but I am good on both of those.

Here is my question, is the fluid in transmission supposed to be an off-white color. Never seen that before and am more than a little confused. Planning on changing it, but wanted to ask opinions about what is in it and why is it WHITE. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah Im kinda stumped as to why its white in the tranny tank. I've seen it kinda like a light tan beige color which usually indicates theres water in the tank along with rust. Tranny fluid is going to look alot like motor oil, same color and all. FLUSH the tranny tank with UDT or Super UDT tranny oil. You can by that over the counter at most places, I hear Wal-mart even carries it in some places. I'd drain out the crap you have in there and flush it wout with new tranny oil and replace the filter as well. Repete as needed until its cleared up.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This may be completely wrong but if it's real light in color and is foamy looking it sounds like it has water in it. After it sets over night is it the same color?

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Yes, sat for 24 hours, no change. I am planning to change it, will get the oil tomorrow. The color could be a light tan, and the boot on the shifter is ripped. Previouse Owner said it was always stored inside, but the fading of paint says it wasn't. Water in the oil is likely. Thanks.

Additional question, does the 3 pt on a B7100 have down pressure? I have to stand on it to get it to go down, if no down pressure its not going to york rake very well. Thanks all :)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Nope no down pressure. Its power up and gravity down. The York rake will shoot it back down just fine. I had one on the back of my B6100.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh and forgot to mention if the gear shifter boot is ripped and torn all to bits then yeah its a pretty good chance that rain got into the tranny housing from dripping down the shifter. Sounds like theres a ton of water that got in there. Does it kinda look like a runny peatnutbutter?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The 3pt does not have down pressure.

As far as the oil color goes. All the different brands of oil are colored just to try and identify them. That why you may see the same weight oil be different colors when you look at different brands. I have to different buckets of Amsoil 75w90 gear oil. The series 2000 oil is blue. The severe gear is about the color of honey. Same weight oil but different color. Every brand seems to be different.

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Runny Peanut Butter, yes that would be a good description. A lighter shade but yes. Thanks everyone. Even if somehow it is supposed to be this color I am not chancing it. Plus I am adding my loader to this tractor and I want to know what I am running through it. If necessary I will just add weight onto the top of the rake to give it the pressure I want. :)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yep theres watere in the tank for sure. Its time to get flushing and clear that crap out.

You should be fine with the York rake, it will drop back down just fine. You dont want to much weight on the rake and tear the tines up or rip up the ground anymore then it already will.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you have water in the fluid you may want to change it twice. I would consider putting some cheap oil in it the first time and after a few hrs of running drain it out and then go with the good stuff.

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Yep theres watere in the tank for sure. Its time to get flushing and clear that crap out.

You should be fine with the York rake, it will drop back down just fine. You dont want to much weight on the rake and tear the tines up or rip up the ground anymore then it already will.
I use the york rake each spring to remove rocks from the garden, old tractor with down pressure would sink tines about 8 inches, save me a ton of time. 4 years and the rocks just keep showing up.

Thanks for all the advice.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
One day if your feeling froggy and have a few bucks to spend. Rent yourself an Harley power rake for the day and try it out on the rock issue. Its a bad ass toy that has a debris shield to let the dirt roll threw and keep the rock and debris out front. You can angle the rake either left or right and run the trash into a windrow. Once you use one you'll never go back to a York rake ever again. Its twice as fast.