Trailering my L3560 LE 800 miles…my set up. ** New photos**

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560LE, Grapple, bucket, snow plow, forks, stump bucket
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
hmm..does that trailer have brakes on BOTH axles ? didn't see that in the posted 'spec sheet'. Usually it's not a problem getting a full load up to highway speed , its STOPPING that becomes the issue !
Since you're close to 'max weight', consider 2nd axle brakes if not already installed.
It's a roll of the dice around here if a tendem trailer has both..not required by law,mfrs derate lil hauler to skirt the laws on SA trailer as well.
Yes, both axles have electric brakes. I called the mfg to confirm.

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
Thank you to all who provided comments. Made some modifications including moving the tractor towards the trailer tongue about 12” or so. Here are new photos…

IMG_9588.jpeg

IMG_9593.jpeg

IMG_9600.jpeg

Mirrors removed…
IMG_9592.jpeg

IMG_9589.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
On the tractor front you have the straps at a good angle to help prevent side to side movement. If you could cross the straps on the tractor rear, or add additional straps that are crossed, that would help prevent the movement. A metal deck doesn't get a real good grip on the tires.

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Don’t know…
You’ll want to know. My eye suggests it’s well over 15% tongue weight with the front axle of the tractor only being about 8 inches from the center of the tandem axels on the trailer and the rear axle of the tractor being over 5’ from the center of the trailer axels.

Why Does Tongue Weight Matter?

“Too much tongue weight could overload the rear tires of the towing vehicle, pushing the rear end of the vehicle around. When this happens, the vehicle is difficult to control; corners or curves may become more difficult to maneuver and your vehicle may not be as responsive when you try to brake.“

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Sorry, long post...

Your set up looks pretty good, even at max rating of the trailer.

As long as you cinch up your straps every few hundred miles, keep an eye on her in your rear view, and no trailer sway ..... and carry a spare tire for the trailer. Especially since your rolling at max rating for the trailer.

The biggest issue I've had trailering flat beds with equipment on them, (once I get the tongue weight right), or toyhauler travel trailers.... is tires. Most trailers of any type, come new from the factory with what are known as "China bombs". Which are Chinese trailer tires.

I run the best trailer tires I can find. Recently it's Goodyear brand. And I replace them every 4 years on trailers I do long runs with. No matter how good they look!

Since you're at max capacity on your trailer, I'd recommend setting your PSI at about 90 percent of the tires rating. Not 100 percent, because the tires heat up as you roll. And the air expands. Unless its zero degrees outside.

The best luck I've had on NOT-maxed-out capacity trailers. Is 65 to 70 psi on 80 psi max rated tires.

If your tires are old, do not run max psi. You'll risk blowing the tread off the tires. Don't ask me how I know.... it was a bad day. Or actually 2 days of anguish... blew 2 tires in less than 1/2 a mile. I now try to carry 2 spares.

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I may have missed your answer, if so I apologize. Are your rear tires loaded?
I just have a nagging feeling you’re bumped right up to or possibly exceeding gross weight limits. 800 miles is a long haul. Normally I would not be concerned but your safety (trust me, i do not consider myself a safety sally) and others that share the road are at stake.

I personally think it would be wise to revisit the possibility of using your friends 10k trailer.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
You’ll want to know. My eye suggests it’s well over 15% tongue weight with the front axle of the tractor only being about 8 inches from the center of the tandem axels on the trailer and the rear axle of the tractor being over 5’ from the center of the trailer axels.

Why Does Tongue Weight Matter?

“Too much tongue weight could overload the rear tires of the towing vehicle, pushing the rear end of the vehicle around. When this happens, the vehicle is difficult to control; corners or curves may become more difficult to maneuver and your vehicle may not be as responsive when you try to brake.“

Respectfully, better too much than too little tongue weight. His truck is a big bad boy and can handle it.

I just have a nagging feeling you’re bumped right up to or possibly exceeding gross weight limits. 800 miles is a long haul. Normally I would not be concerned but your safety (trust me, i do not consider myself a safety sally) and others that share the road are at stake.

I personally think it would be wise to revisit the possibility of using your friends 10k trailer.
I gotta say, that I agree. Running a trailer at max capacity for a few mikes.... is not the same as 800 miles.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Pictures of OTT Tractors on Trailers

Just a point of reference. There might be a photo in there like the new load position. Not saying all those pictures are 100% correct, but I’d doubt they are all 100% wrong?

Personally, I don’t care much too what anyone might chose to attempt. To the extent no one else is put at risk. Like 60 mph on a multi lane interstate for a couple days could lend itself to.

Too much tongue weight takes weight off the tow vehicle steering axel.

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
On the tractor front you have the straps at a good angle to help prevent side to side movement. If you could cross the straps on the tractor rear, or add additional straps that are crossed, that would help prevent the movement. A metal deck doesn't get a real good grip on the tires.
I will see what I can do with all the items that might be in the way of crossing. Not worried about the front as the wheel nets have the front “trapped”.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Don’t know…
It would be a very good idea to find that out.
Tongue eight can be measured with a set of bathroom scales, and a simple ratio formula.
Look it up on etrailer.com, or google

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine

Tires are not loaded.

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
Made it to Maine, no problems. Tractor safely tucked away in new garage. Thank you everyone!

IMG_9611.jpeg

IMG_9608.jpeg

IMG_9605.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users