Trailer Ramp will Lift up

Trackerjoe

Equipment
B2650
Oct 31, 2018
Spokane, WA
This will sound impossible, but it happens. Wish I had a picture. I have a 7000 lb GVW trailer with removable ramps. They have a piece of angle iron (with the leg pointing down), that nests in a piece of angle iron (with the leg pointing up) that is welded to the trailer frame. I back my B2650 onto the ramps to load onto trailer. There have been several times when as the wheel first contacts the ramp, the end of the ramp that is setting on the trailer will lift several inches off of the trailer bed. Of course as I continue to back up, the ramp drops back down onto the trailer. Might be OK, because the tractor has only started up on the ramps, but it makes me nervous. Thought about welding a tab on the up hill end of the ramp that would stop this, but didn't really want to modify a safety related feature on the trailer.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I am going to guess that the angle iron that is making up the sides of the ramp is cut square. As the tire rolls onto the blunt end of the ramp is forced down and the upper end picks up.

There are at least 2 easy ways to fix it. One is to cut the bottom of the ramp to make it like a knife edge. Or put the ramps where you need them and drill a hole through the up leg on the trailer, then the down leg of the ramp and through the frame across the back of the trailer. Drill at a slight downward angle and drop a pin into it when you are loading or unloading.

Look at the end that would touch the ground. https://www.discountramps.com/car-hauler-ramps/p/05-15-094-04-P/

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Set of stabilizer legs on the back of the trailer will likely help prevent that. If I’m reading it right it sounds like the back of the trailer is tipping down from the weight.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
For quick and simple, you could try to lay some 3/4 plywood about the width of the ramp and maybe a foot long or a little longer across the bottom of the ramps to smooth out the transition onto the ramp.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think you have a defective trailer and ramp. For your own safety, I think you should give the trailer and ramps to me and I will make sure they get properly disposed of and everyone will be safe.

Then you can go buy a new trailer that isn't defective. :D :p ;)

I think BigG hit the issue on the head, if you get a chance upload pictures and it may even prove more useful and confirm the answer.