Trailer plug add on.

Camera Man

Equipment
Kubota L5460, Kubota L2296Bucket,lde SGC1060 GRAPPLE, Landpride PFL2042 Forks,
Jun 27, 2020
Idaho
So I run a wood splitting buessnes and my splitter dumps into a 16ft dump trailer that I move with my Grand L5460 and a goose neck three point hitch. I have found I ether need to keep the dumps battery on a tender or jumped off another battery to dump more than a few times. The trailer is me,t to keep charging off the truck and even run off it. I want to install a 7 blade trailer plug just to run power from the tractor to the battery/power unit. Anyone have any thoughts?.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It would certainly be simple enough to do but I have a concern about running your tractor battery flat. You should consider adding a battery isolation circuit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee I can get 2-3 dozen dumps before my battery needs charging, so your battery sounds 'weak'. Big thing is all connections need to be clean and shiny.
Adding the 7 pinner to the tractor is a very good idea, as it would allow you to also have LIGHTS for the rare time you need to be on the road( neighbour needs a load of ponypoop).

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
gee I can get 2-3 dozen dumps before my battery needs charging, so your battery sounds 'weak'.
Just what I was thinking.

Camera Man

Equipment
Kubota L5460, Kubota L2296Bucket,lde SGC1060 GRAPPLE, Landpride PFL2042 Forks,
Jun 27, 2020
Idaho
gee I can get 2-3 dozen dumps before my battery needs charging, so your battery sounds 'weak'. Big thing is all connections need to be clean and shiny.
Adding the 7 pinner to the tractor is a very good idea, as it would allow you to also have LIGHTS for the rare time you need to be on the road( neighbour needs a load of ponypoop).
New larger battery. We are dumping anywhere from 6-12,000 lbs. We went from a 550cca to a 750 cca. It's a 14gx big text goose neck.
With the snow on the ground I just don't need to be running an electrical cord across my woodlot hahaha.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: With the snow on the ground I just don't need to be running an electrical cord across my woodlot

That's not a problem until the snowblower 'finds' the extention cord...... don't ask HOW I KNOW about that scenario.....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
re: With the snow on the ground I just don't need to be running an electrical cord across my woodlot

That's not a problem until the snowblower 'finds' the extention cord...... don't ask HOW I KNOW about that scenario.....
Sounds like my wife with her 110 volt hedge trimmer. That lasted oh, about 2 minutes until she severed the cord. It quit working honey... Gee, sweets, don't work with a 2 piece cord.... :rolleyes:

To the OP... Get a 1000 CCA deep cycle battery.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I want to install a 7 blade trailer plug just to run power from the tractor to the battery/power unit. Anyone have any thoughts?.
If lights are not needed, cheep jumper cables and these connectors may work

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Camera man, i tow my dump trailer with the tractor. I removed the factory ag style 7 pin and put on an RV style one. Had to get the multi meter out to figure out the wiring. If I recall, there was no 12v constant like a truck. Or if there was, it was powered off the same fuse in the cab as the headlights, my memory is foggy on that.
I also seem to have issues with batteries in my dump trailer, getting only a few dumps per charge.
so what I did was put a quick connect hose block between the cylinder and pump. Made up hoses for the tractor. So when tractor towing, I hook the hoses up to a remote and dump it with the hydraulics. Easy to swap around for truck (electric) or hydraulic (tractor).
On my truck, I ran a piece of 4ga welding cable from the truck battery (through a solenoid and fuse) to a big Anderson plug, on the dump trailer side I have 4ga wire and a 40a self resetting circuit breaker. Seems to keep the battery charged ok. Ive been through many batteries, the next one will not be a deep cycle, I’ll try a big starting battery instead. I don’t know why I kill batteries with this trailer, was like this for the previous owner too. Maybe the pump motor is going bad?
At any rate the 12v trailer plug will only give you a few amps at best. It will not charge the battery like you need.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: At any rate the 12v trailer plug will only give you a few amps at best. It will not charge the battery like you need.
On my F150 , I can get 15amps to the trailer,as long as the key's on, always 'tops up' the dump trialer battery. For a tractor setup, you'd need to run from the battery, though a 15A fuse then relay then the 7pin connector.Control the relay with 'switched' power form the ign sw. that way,trailer only gets power when tractor is running. Be SURE to connect tractor GROUND run the white GROUND wire of the connector !!! Without that ,you'll never supply enough current(power) to the trailer. The trailer ball is NOT a true ground.

603g5200

Equipment
Kubota G5200G, G2500 snowblower and a Massey Ferguson MF20 Industrial
Oct 27, 2020
New Hampshire
I believe that Kubota makes the plug connector for your tractor, it plugs directly into your existing harness in the rear. I know for the M series tractors they run about $30, cheap and easy way to get your power to your trailer. If the tractor is idling then it will charge your dump trailer battery. IF they do not make one then they are easy to make and you can buy all the connectors, wires and plug parts on the online store that starts with an A. all you need is your wiring diagram for your tractor , buy the same color wires, and build the harness.