danmorea

Equipment
kubota b7100 loader/backhoe Kubota B2650 loader John Deere x540
Oct 25, 2013
narrowsburg ny
I consider a trailer an implement
Question
If you have a trailer with brakes 7 way plug
Without a brake controller does the brake on the trailer work?
I have a brake control on my truck
Just
If my neighbor borrow my trailer and the truck has a 7 way plug but no brake controller will the trailer brake work?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Assuming that you have electric brakes on your trailer and not surge brakes...nope. There won't be any voltage on one pin to apply braking effort.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
No....unless..
1) he powers the 'blue' wire somehow...
or
2) the trailer disconnects ,then the brakes will come on( providing the 'breakaway' system is working...)

Most (all ?) PUs have prewired connections for trailers these days, controllers are cheap( I have 7 free ones here,from scrapped PUs...)

There could be a 'liability' problem..hauling a trailer without brakes and a 'booboo' occours.....

Reactions: 1 user

danmorea

Equipment
Oct 25, 2013
narrowsburg ny
Most older trucks that have a 7 pin connector factory with the hitch
I thought that will work with the trailer brakes
Than I read an article that is not
I install myself on my truck a brake controller because I needed to control the trailer better when I tow something heavy
And I have lots of hills

danmorea

Equipment
Oct 25, 2013
narrowsburg ny
Most older trucks that have a 7 pin connector factory with the hitch
I thought that will work with the trailer brakes
Than I read an article that is not
I install myself on my truck a brake controller because I needed to control the trailer better when I tow something heavy
And I have lots of hills
And
Just got a used stock /horse trailer 16 feet long steel
It has brake in the rear but a 4 way plug
I redo the wire to a 7 way
This trailer weighs like 2500 empty
Amazing how some people are towing

TWP1954

Equipment
ZD 1211
Nov 17, 2020
Mississippi
I consider a trailer an implement
Question
If you have a trailer with brakes 7 way plug
Without a brake controller does the brake on the trailer work?
I have a brake control on my truck
Just
If my neighbor borrow my trailer and the truck has a 7 way plug but no brake controller will the trailer brake work?
You have to have a brake controller for the electric brakes to work. Either after market or factory controller

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One day I bodged a 60A 'starter pushbutton' to the blue and red wires under the dash 'brake controller' wiring of my old F150. taped the switch to the gearshift. hauled all day, full loads of fill. got real good at 'press,release' to engage the trailer brakes.
when you get a controller, be sure to buy the 'adapter' so it's a quick, goofproof install that WORKS firsttime. also be sure to check which fuse IS the trailer brakes. some PUs don't have fuse/and relay installed at factory.saves them 25cents ,causes you a lot of grief !

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Is your neighbors truck a newer Ford? If so there is a way to install a Ford Brake controller and turn it on so you can run it though the dash trailer screens. On the newer trucks the brake controllers are intagrated into the instrument cluster, so a factory controller is the better way to go, in my opion.

danmorea

Equipment
Oct 25, 2013
narrowsburg ny
I have a brake controller on my truck
A good one
It works wonderfully
Just I was wondering if without if the 7way plug apply the brakes on trailer
My neighbor doesn’t have a brake controller just a factory 7way plug on 10 year old gmc

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a brake controller on my truck
A good one
It works wonderfully
Just I was wondering if without if the 7way plug apply the brakes on trailer
My neighbor doesn’t have a brake controller just a factory 7way plug on 10 year old gmc
If the 7 way plug is relying on the tractor brake light circuit to apply the trailer brakes, I think you will find most North American Kubota's do not have brake lights nor brake light switches although some WSM's printed for a number of countries may show the switch.

Dave

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Most brake controllers are 'switched on' by the brake lights and then an internal inertia sensor determines how much current to apply to the brakes, keeping the application proportional. I have a 'Prodigy' controller and it woks pretty good.
If you want to skip the electric brakes you can have a trailer tongue activated hydraulic system installed. They typically only need a switch to deactivate the braking function when backing up.
The seven way plug provides brake current to the trailer You could run a brake current and a ground cable to the trailer and have the electric brakes work at a minimum, you would have to have a switch on the brake pedal (or perhaps a momentary contarct dash switch (like a horn button) to activate the brake controller. Hold the button down and step on the trailer brakes.

Reactions: 1 user