trading up from L3901

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi folks I haven't been on here much lately life is busy with kids work etc. we have a 2014 L3901hst w/loader and skid steer quick attach, but my Dad is finding the tractor too light for most of what we do, we have a norse 350 logging winch we use with the tractor on our woodlot and traction is a big problem its July and we still need chains on the rear tires to keep from spinning even with a load of logs on the winch, we have taken the loader off just to make it easier to get around in the woods so she is light in the front but I know that suitcase weights could be added to remedy that. Dad finds the loader very light also as there has been many times in the year and a half we have owned it that we couldn't lift what we wanted and for fear of busting/bending something on the loader. The power is good for the size of machine and we have had no issues mechanically with the tractor. I spoke to the dealer we bought from yesterday about trading for a larger tractor maybe a L4701 and he told me we should look at the MX5200, only a bit more than the L4701 but much heavier and will lift more and weighs more etc. The only bad thing about trading is taking a lose of about $5500 on our tractor to upgrade to a tractor we should have bought in the beginning, we have looked at the McCormick X1.35 a real heavy machine weighs about the same and will lift more than the MX5200 but with it being a Korean tractor which McCormick doesn't make and the engine whch is suppose to be a Cummins copy and with dealers that may not keep that brand in time I am a bit afraid of them for those reasons, Kubota may not be the heaviest or have the highest lift capacity and so on but they build all their own parts, engines etc. Any thoughts on this would be helpful, thanks

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
mdhughes we have R4 industrial tires that's the reason for the traction problems I think. They are wide and don't dig in like a ag tire would.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I don't believe I've ever seen a log skidder without chains on it around my area, so you shouldn't let that bother you....

Wormwood

Equipment
M5-111 SVL97-2 Sidekick
Oct 3, 2011
Little Rock, AR, United States
I feel your pain, We traded up from a BX back around last Sept to an L3901 & I've been miserable ever since. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Kubota brand, we have a bunch of great dealers locally, but specifically to the L3901 it's the hydrostatic whine & overall it's two jumps in size but only one jump in performance & strength. It's came at a good price point, so long as you understand what you're buying it'll be a win-win. I didn't do my research and really screwed up. I blame myself for it but I should have bought a TLB in the first place...

We just bought an M62 yesterday and will more than likely I'll just trade-in the L3901 next week when the new one is arrives at the dealership...

Wormwood

***Just a thought but you have the spacers on the rear wheels, filled them up, & flipped your front tires around so that it stands wider. Doing all this made a big difference when using the industrial tires.

Last edited:

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
mdhughes we have R4 industrial tires that's the reason for the traction problems I think. They are wide and don't dig in like a ag tire would.
I have AG tires and use my L3901 to drag logs during the winter months and I haven't had any problems yet. I have to say I'm very happy with the performance of the tractor.

I don't believe I've ever seen a log skidder without chains on it around my area, so you shouldn't let that bother you....
I ran a John Deere 548D log skidder for 2 1/2 years and we never used chains. We have some pretty steep hog backs that we worked on without any problems. We had replaced the tires a little after I started operating the skidder and that makes a big difference.

Wormwood said:
***Just a thought but you have the spacers on the rear wheels, filled them up, & flipped your front tires around so that it stands wider. Doing all this made a big difference when using the industrial tires.
The manual for the L3901 says not to flip the fronts as this causes more stress on the front end.

Last edited:

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I bought a little BX thirteen years ago to use on 16 acres for light duty. So many times, I wished I had a bigger tractor; but the BX is a darn good machine for a little guy. I am moving up to an MX5800 after looking at many others - even at now only having about seven acres to use it on. I'm getting older and less physically able, and I suspect this MX will long outlive me and enable me to do those things I no longer can without it. Of course, you may want to consider keeping your current tractor - you may get most of your money out of it if you want several years to sell it.

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
I also have an L3901DT with loaded R1 ag tires that I use for logging. I agree that at times the loader could be a tad bit stronger but the only time I've ever maxed it out was when trying to lift a 16ft 20+ inch diameter saw log. It lifted it but the rear end was light. I have no traction issues even in deep mud with this machine either. I suspect the main source of your problem is the R4 tires. Even with chains they aren't worth a shit in the woods unless it's dry ground IMO. Regardless moving up to an MX series would have obvious benefits aside from being less manuverable in tight areas and heavier in wet areas.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Not to pick a fight, or call anyones judgment into question....

Why would you pick a machine for logging that has R4s, and as far as L class loaders, a wimpy loader?

Any Grand L will have a loader that would rip the guts out of the LA525.

The machine is new, I got to believe the Dealer would have a set of AGs you can buy, or less likely, trade your R4s in towards?

A more crude option is to get a tire "groover"? I forget name, but you can melt off some hunks of tread, break up the solid R4 bars and groove the fronts. Ive seen a buddy with a Deere 3038e, R4s "groove" them and winter traction improved a bit. Sipes is the word?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Before trading the tractor, I would consider investing in another set of rims and getting a set of ag tires. ;)

We used to log with dads l2250 with a logging winch set up on the back. In the winter time in the snow. We would leave the fel on for extra weight on the front. Plus once I unhooked the logs at the landing, I would use the fel to push the logs into a pile. BTW, we never had a set of chains for the tractor.

The only time we would have an issue is if I latched onto a 36" round or above tree. Then it was one at a time.

If the were in the 20" x 20ft range I would take 3 to 5 logs at a time with that little tractor.

Usually I was waiting on dad to finish limbing up the last log i was taking for that run. To give you an idea on the turn around time. And we never once thought we needed a bigger tractor. That thing was a bloody beast for its size ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
If the budget allows, compare the Grand L models in the same horsepower range as the MX5200 while you are shopping. Some folks see just the "deluxe" aspect of those models and don't notice they also offer other work-related enhancements also. Particularly for your use, the GL models have a much stronger 3 point setup that would lift more and handle that logging winch better.

Either way, those should be a couple steps up in performance vs. your current tractor, without getting so big you can't operate in the woods.