Tractor washing.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Dang, guess I’m not as bad as I thought. Blowing my tractors off after every use and washing them by hand with a rag and dish soap once or twice a year.

I’ve never heard of the WD-40 wash before. That’s interesting.

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
This will be the first time I've used wax and tractor in the same sentence. I clean mine with a steam cleaner at low pressure. The paint on my L45 has faded into different colors on the tractor, backhoe, and loader.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I like the idea of keeping machines clean. Wax helps the dirt fall off for years. A clean machine makes it easier to identify new leaks before they become a problem.

Just a couple caveats...
  • Pay attention where you spray water. Stay away from electrical connections, switches, vent-tubes, alternator and bearings. It is fine to allow NON-pressurized water to flow over things.
  • It is a good idea to RUN the machine for awhile after washing to drive moisture out of nooks-crannies.

I would advocate using COMPRESSED AIR WAND to clean the machine between monthly washings. There is less likelyhood of water getting into bearings or electronics and sitting there for days.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ok I plan on trying to shine up my used BX2200. This is how I plan on doing it.

1. Wash with Dawn (I know your not supposed to but this could get the surface dirt and grease free) but the tractor is pretty clean on the body.

2. Wash with Meguiars car wash

3. Use a polish,

4. Wax.

Any other tips?
I never wash any of mine but do blow off with Milton compressed air wandafter each use and wax with Nu Finish about twice each year.

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
Just washed mine today.

I like the Lucas spray speed wax. Fast, cheap, can use it on everything. Not the best ‘wax’ in the world, but it sure is easy to use.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I use this foam cannon and detergent on tractor, mower, side by side and atv. The detergent has an additive that coats everything and helps reduce mud sticking to the equipment. Leaves a nice shine.

Foam cannon

Reactions: 1 user

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Dang, guess I’m not as bad as I thought. Blowing my tractors off after every use and washing them by hand with a rag and dish soap once or twice a year.

I’ve never heard of the WD-40 wash before. That’s interesting.
A friend of mine had his Ranchero painted 1980. Paint shop owner told him add Kerosene and a small amount of car wash soap to the wash water and if possible blow dry the Ranchero. Last I saw the Ranchero in 1987 the paint still looked great.

evantwheeler

Equipment
L305dt, L345dt x2
Apr 19, 2023
Menifee, CA
No soap. 3 cups WD40 in a 5-gal bucket….forcefully add water…used for soap/detergent. It dissolves grease, and leaves a “chamois” finish that water beads-up and runs off. Lubricates rubber weatherstripping and gets into crevices, lubricates hinges/latches and prevents rust. (This is an old “Hints from Heloise” trick…only she recommended kerosene in water instead of WD40 for car wash. I use this same formula on my never-polished in over 20+ -years, 1953 airplane instead of soap (which dulls aluminum.) Blah! No Soap!)

View attachment 106814
Does the left over "coating" from this process attract dust? I've got my tractor torn down with no sheet metal on it and I want to "detail" everything clean and fresh. I'm here searching for solutions for a finish/protectant after all this work. This formula is intriguing. Whatever I use, I don't want it to hold onto dust as it will just immediately go dirty again. Thanks for feedback.

Evan

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck.

I use a foam cannon and a brush on an extendible pole. Never waxed it, too lazy I suppose. Let us know how it goes, maybe I can find a young fellow (don't mean only a male I seen plenty of young ladies out work the fellas) in the neighborhood that will give mine a coat of wax.
Maybe try some of the car wash products that include wash and wax products together?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Something that removed grease for me exceptionally fast (especially the really sticky grease) is Gunk engine cleaner (not the foam kind).
I've only found it in spray cans, so I remove it from the spray can and put it into a spray bottle.
More control and less needed on a rag or paper towel.
I guess diesel, kero, or WD40 would also work.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No soap. 3 cups WD40 in a 5-gal bucket….forcefully add water…used for soap/detergent. It dissolves grease, and leaves a “chamois” finish that water beads-up and runs off. Lubricates rubber weatherstripping and gets into crevices, lubricates hinges/latches and prevents rust. (This is an old “Hints from Heloise” trick…only she recommended kerosene in water instead of WD40 for car wash. I use this same formula on my never-polished in over 20+ -years, 1953 airplane instead of soap (which dulls aluminum.) Blah! No Soap!)

View attachment 106814
Sweet looking 170B !!!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’m very impressed by those who keep their tractor squeaky clean. I blow mine off with compressed air and select portions with a pressure washer sufficient to make sure it cools appropriately, doesn’t catch fire, and doesn’t have enough excess grease to keep me from using it without getting grease on me. Otherwise consider it a work tool and don’t get wound up about a little dirt or dust.

Reactions: 2 users

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Detailing nut here...

Those Jr. chemist tricks were great back when there weren't commercial options. Plenty of great wash and wax in one products these days. I've had really good luck with TW ICE Wash and Wax.

Back to the OP's plan, just use the Dawn. All the anti Dawn stuff from back when waxes weren't really durable and Dawn did indeed strip them. Any reasonably modern "wax" will laugh at Dawn.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Does the left over "coating" from this process attract dust? I've got my tractor torn down with no sheet metal on it and I want to "detail" everything clean and fresh. I'm here searching for solutions for a finish/protectant after all this work. This formula is intriguing. Whatever I use, I don't want it to hold onto dust as it will just immediately go dirty again. Thanks for feedback.

Evan
No, it does not attract dust.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060, ZD21, ZD28, ZD331, RTV X1100C, Branson 3820, JD 1020, JD 50
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
Detailing nut here...

Those Jr. chemist tricks were great back when there weren't commercial options. Plenty of great wash and wax in one products these days. I've had really good luck with TW ICE Wash and Wax.

Back to the OP's plan, just use the Dawn. All the anti Dawn stuff from back when waxes weren't really durable and Dawn did indeed strip them. Any reasonably modern "wax" will laugh at Dawn.
Will the wash & wax work in a foam cannon?

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Will the wash & wax work in a foam cannon?
Yes, though if you are looking for a touchless wash with the foam canon, its not going to work well. The Wash and Waxes are really mild soaps and require physical agitation to remove dirt.

The_Wingnut

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060, ZD21, ZD28, ZD331, RTV X1100C, Branson 3820, JD 1020, JD 50
Dec 8, 2021
Tyner, NC
Yes, though if you are looking for a touchless wash with the foam canon, its not going to work well. The Wash and Waxes are really mild soaps and require physical agitation to remove dirt.
Thanks....I think I have come to that same conclusion even with the so called "balanced foam wash agent." If it's just dusty works great, if it's dirty nothing beats the rag and brush.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Thanks....I think I have come to that same conclusion even with the so called "balanced foam wash agent." If it's just dusty works great, if it's dirty nothing beats the rag and brush.
Agreed. Same reason touchless automated car washes have to use very harsh chemicals. Works great to get the paint clean, but those chemicals are really hard on trim and other non painted surfaces.