Tractor upgrade L6060, MX6000 or M7060 / M4

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
I am new member here, but owner of a Grand L-4240 for 10 years. My L-4240 has been a great tractor but always felt like it was a little under sized for my needs. I am at a point where I would like to upgrade to a more capable tractor.

I have 24 total acres that I maintain with about 18 acres of hilly pasture and approximately 4 acres of woods. I currently use my 4240 for tasks including mowing the pasture with a 6 ft rotary cutter, moving saw logs, processing firewood and general grapple work, clearing old fence rows, and other general chores around our hobby farm.

What I am looking for is more stability on the hills (mowing and loader work), more engine and PTO power for the rotary cutter as the 4240 bogs down on the hills fairly easily, and additional loader capability would be nice. My initial thought was to upgrade to the larger utility class tractor like the M7060 or M4. I know they would meet my needs with more power and more capabilities. My primary hesitation is that I really like the HST transmission for the loader work and ease of use in general when working in close quarters, but I am willing to give up the HST if that is what I need to do to get the capabilities that I need.

The alternative would be to upgrade to the largest HST model like the L6060 or MX6000. I have studied over the specifications of these larger HST tractors and comparing them to my 4240, I am not sure if they will really offer enough additional capabilities to make a significant difference for me. The 4240 is rated at 44 engine HP and ~35 PTO HP while the L6060 is 62 engine HP and ~53 PTO. The L6060 weighs about 4000lbs base tractor which is only about 500lbs more than the 4240. The loader on the 4240 (LA854) is rated about the same for lift capacity at the pins and 500mm. The L6060 is slightly longer and wider than the 4240, but not by much.

I would love to hear some real world feedback and experience from anyone that may have faced this same upgrade decision. Does the additional engine and PTO HP from the L6060 / MX6000 make a significant difference in performance when pulling a rotary cutter on hills? If you upgraded from a Grand L HST to a M-Series hydraulic shuttle, was the trade off in transmissions worth the extra capabilities and power of the M-Series?

I have done some research, but I am early in my evaluation process and open to suggestions or any considerations I have missed. I really appreciate any feedback you may have.

Last edited:

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I would say if a L6060 has the same loader specs as your current L4240 you will not be happy. It would just be more PTO power.

Cab model or open station?

I haven’t operated a Grand L HST, but I have a operated the standard HST, and gear drive for years. I’ve operated a hydraulic shuttle on a M6060 for a few years.

Id recommend the 12 speed version of the m7060, although 12 speed is standard on the M4. Also add creeper gears for 18 speeds

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
My current L4240 is open station and I will probably stay with open station. I do a lot of work in and around trees and get on and off the tractor frequently. However a cab would be nice for the mowing.

If I go with the M Series I would want the 12/12 hydraulic shuttle on the M7060 / M4. I have considered the creeper gear for the additional speeds, I don't do much plowing or other ground engaging tasks, but thinking it might be helpful when trying to hookup 3pt implements. How difficult is the hydraulic shuttle to operate when trying to line up the 3pt implements?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I am new member here, but owner of a Grand L-4240 for 10 years. My L-4240 has been a great tractor but always felt like it was a little under sized for my needs. I am at a point where I would like to upgrade to a more capable tractor.

I have 24 total acres that I maintain with about 18 acres of hilly pasture and approximately 4 acres of woods. I currently use my 4240 for tasks including mowing the pasture with a 6 ft rotary cutter, moving saw logs, processing firewood and general grapple work, clearing old fence rows, and other general chores around our hobby farm.

What I am looking for is more stability on the hills (mowing and loader work), more engine and PTO power for the rotary cutter as the 4240 bogs down on the hills fairly easily, and additional loader capability would be nice. My initial thought was to upgrade to the larger utility class tractor like the M7060 or M4. I know they would meet my needs with more power and more capabilities. My primary hesitation is that I really like the HST transmission for the loader work and ease of use in general when working in close quarters, but I am willing to give up the HST if that is what I need to do to get the capabilities that I need.

The alternative would be to upgrade to the largest HST model like the L6060 or MX6000. I have studied over the specifications of these larger HST tractors and comparing them to my 4240, I am not sure if they will really offer enough additional capabilities to make a significant difference for me. The 4240 is rated at 44 engine HP and ~35 PTO HP while the L6060 is 62 engine HP and ~53 PTO. The L6060 weighs about 4000lbs base tractor which is only about 500lbs more than the 4240. The loader on the 4240 (LA854) is rated about the same for lift capacity at the pins and 500mm. The L6060 is slightly longer and wider than the 4240, but not by much.

I would love to hear some real world feedback and experience from anyone that may have faced this same upgrade decision. Does the additional engine and PTO HP from the L6060 / MX6000 make a significant difference in performance when pulling a rotary cutter on hills? If you upgraded from a Grand L HST to a M-Series hydraulic shuttle, was the trade off in transmissions worth the extra capabilities and power of the M-Series?

I have done some research, but I am early in my evaluation process and open to suggestions or any considerations I have missed. I really appreciate any feedback you may have.

L6060 is a 1055 loader...that is in kg so we are talking 400+ lbs of lift difference.

Have you seen these machines beside each other? They are worlds apart.

I have a L6060 and my father has a M7060. These machines are very different. M7060 is MUCH more tractor. You would love it for mowing...but hate it for heavy loader work. Especially after owning a HST. I think the M7060 is less $$$ than the L6060.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
My current L4240 is open station and I will probably stay with open station. I do a lot of work in and around trees and get on and off the tractor frequently. However a cab would be nice for the mowing.

If I go with the M Series I would want the 12/12 hydraulic shuttle on the M7060 / M4. I have considered the creeper gear for the additional speeds, I don't do much plowing or other ground engaging tasks, but thinking it might be helpful when trying to hookup 3pt implements. How difficult is the hydraulic shuttle to operate when trying to line up the 3pt implements?
I have a Quick Hitch on the M7060...its no problem lining up implements at all. We have the 12/12.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
No quick hitch here but no problem hooking up with the extendable lower links.

Reactions: 1 user

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
L6060 is a 1055 loader...that is in kg so we are talking 400+ lbs of lift difference.

I have a L6060 and my father has a M7060. These machines are very different. M7060 is MUCH more tractor. You would love it for mowing...but hate it for heavy loader work. Especially after owning a HST. I think the M7060 is less $$$ than the L6060.
I almost purchased a M6060 when I purchased the L4240. I was afraid it was too much tractor at the time and opted for the smaller HST. I agree that the M-Series would be great for the mowing and the HST+ is awesome for the loader work. I really would prefer to not give up the HST for its general ease of use unless I have to. My biggest concern is the L4240 gets pretty tippy quickly even on fairly flat ground with what the loader can pick up. I have the tires loaded and always have ballast on the 3pt, but the loader is fairly strong for the tractor. It also does struggle some on the hills with the rotary cutter, but I just have to go slow.

I have thought about adding wheel weights and wheel spacers to widen the stance if I can, but not sure if that would make a significant difference or not.

I really need 2 different tractors, one for field work and one for loader work, but trying to determine if there is a sweet spot that I can compromise on for the larger and smaller tasks.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I almost purchased a M6060 when I purchased the L4240. I was afraid it was too much tractor at the time and opted for the smaller HST. I agree that the M-Series would be great for the mowing and the HST+ is awesome for the loader work. I really would prefer to not give up the HST for its general ease of use unless I have to. My biggest concern is the L4240 gets pretty tippy quickly even on fairly flat ground with what the loader can pick up. I have the tires loaded and always have ballast on the 3pt, but the loader is fairly strong for the tractor. It also does struggle some on the hills with the rotary cutter, but I just have to go slow.

I have thought about adding wheel weights and wheel spacers to widen the stance if I can, but not sure if that would make a significant difference or not.

I really need 2 different tractors, one for field work and one for loader work, but trying to determine if there is a sweet spot that I can compromise on for the larger and smaller tasks.
Spacers would definitely help If they are ok for your axles.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I have a similar situation with tasks based on your description. A couple differences is I have multiple properties and I have two machines…B and MX. I mow at my residence with the B as well as use for wood and most all chores at home. The MX is used primarily on a larger property. I had a hard time choosing between the MX and the M personally and for me I gave up what I believed to be a different class and capabilty for HST. I wanted the largest HST for two reasons, loader work and safety for my spousal unit to operate…they are just safer. I am very happy with my decision. If I just had one larger property then I would most likely have one tractor and one tracked/wheel loader. Personally I think you can put the larger Ls and the Mx in similar capability bucket…comes down to your preferences or if you have specific tasks…the M I think is getting to be more of a utility tractor and just is bigger/stronger…the Mx and Ls are great but the M is just heavier and more capable…they are just different IMO. I think figure out the transmission you need and size the implements to the power. If the M was available with HST it would have been the M for me. From what you have already I’d question what you really get in weight with another L or MX…sure it’s bigger but not much(how much more does it really let you lift?)…to me the weight and stance is what gets the work done. Then I think when you compare that IMO a negligible difference in weight/stance vs the difference to the M there is a really big difference. Just my thoughts. transmission vs capability IMO…at least it was for me. That being said the MX has great capability within its limit which is fine for me, and I can use it for most all chores…it’s great in and around a building, any type of loader work, tilling and brush hogging, pulling a wagon, skidding logs etc….it’s great….in all those tasks I value the HST…and I dont have to worry about spouse foot slipping off a clutch…in that case it just stops 😂

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee

The M7060 is a lot more tractor for the money which is one reason it is hard for me to pass that up for less capable L6060. It really is just a matter of if I am willing to trade the HST for the more weight and power. I am really looking for overall more stability. How stable is your L6060 on slopes and hills for its size?

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
Good day. I have a similar situation with tasks based on your description. A couple differences is I have multiple properties and I have two machines…B and MX. I mow at my residence with the B as well as use for wood and most all chores at home. The MX is used primarily on a larger property. I had a hard time choosing between the MX and the M personally and for me I gave up what I believed to be a different class and capabilty for HST. I wanted the largest HST for two reasons, loader work and safety for my spousal unit to operate…they are just safer. I am very happy with my decision. If I just had one larger property then I would most likely have one tractor and one tracked/wheel loader. Personally I think you can put the larger Ls and the Mx in similar capability bucket…comes down to your preferences or if you have specific tasks…the M I think is getting to be more of a utility tractor and just is bigger/stronger…the Mx and Ls are great but the M is just heavier and more capable…they are just different IMO. I think figure out the transmission you need and size the implements to the power. If the M was available with HST it would have been the M for me. From what you have already I’d question what you really get in weight with another L or MX…sure it’s bigger but not much(how much more does it really let you lift?)…to me the weight and stance is what gets the work done. Then I think when you compare that IMO a negligible difference in weight/stance vs the difference to the M there is a really big difference. Just my thoughts. transmission vs capability IMO…at least it was for me. That being said the MX has great capability within its limit which is fine for me, and I can use it for most all chores…it’s great in and around a building, any type of loader work, tilling and brush hogging, pulling a wagon, skidding logs etc….it’s great….in all those tasks I value the HST…and I dont have to worry about spouse foot slipping off a clutch…in that case it just stops 😂

I have not really considered the safety component of HST. I am the only operator but I do work around buildings and close to banks and ditches that require fine control. I am sure it would just take some seat time to get the same level of confidence with the hydraulic shuttle, but I can see where HST provided a level of safety. Good point!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Not much talk about the MX. It's quite a bit bigger than the L I think. It's not an M, but it's more lift and weight and still an HST. Anyone have experiences there to share with OP?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have not really considered the safety component of HST. I am the only operator but I do work around buildings and close to banks and ditches that require fine control. I am sure it would just take some seat time to get the same level of confidence with the hydraulic shuttle, but I can see where HST provided a level of safety. Good point!
Personally I’ve never used in a way that I felt it was short on traction or power. I’ve not mowed a pasture with it though….when mowing, it’s mostly just trails (it’s usually tall and wet) and saplings/brush (creating new trails) all with a brush cutter (it’s does really well for those tasks especially creeping around trees rocks or stumps or other obstacles like operating around a deer blind / out buildings and fences). It does not have tilt steering if that matters…I have that on my B and I do miss it on the MX. it’s not a deal breaker but be aware I believe the cabbed model may have it…so if you set in a cab for your fitting, you may be surprised or disappointed on honey moon. I use my forks a lot, I wish I would have test driven one using the forks..the HST is awesome for loader work, there is no question about that, but the front tires cover most of what I can see (visibility) so I wish I would have gotten longer forks(I use them a lot - palletize my implements and palletize firewood)…again I don’t think a big issue but it’s a consideration.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
Not much talk about the MX. It's quite a bit bigger than the L I think. It's not an M, but it's more lift and weight and still an HST. Anyone have experiences there to share with OP?
Just checked tractordata the MX6000 has more breakout force but actually less lift to full height than his current L4240. The grand L series are similar to the MX series.

If the OP is stuck on an HST than MX6000 or Grand L6060 it is. The best value per capacity would be the M series.

I’ve ran gear drive tractors for years in close quarters, in woods, along buildings, fence lines, and doing loader work, they do just fine.

Also I haven’t seen it mentioned but the M series has a two position loader, power position and full height position, the 12 speed has Economy PTO with higher hydraulic fluid flow rate and wide radial tire upgrade.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
How difficult is the hydraulic shuttle to operate when trying to line up the 3pt implements?
Can't help much in this discussion but, having used an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle, I can tell you the foot clutch is smooth. So inching in to hook up is easy. You would have to get used to using the other foot.

The M is class 2 and has extendable arms which is nice.

I like the M, but I don't think it's right for you, for two reasons:
1. It's big. You mentioned climbing on and off a lot, which I can identify with. Compared to what I use most, I feel like king of the mountain on the M7040. But getting on and off seems like climbing that mountain.
2. Stability. The M is fairly tall. By the time you pull the wheels in to stay within a 6' cutter width, I think you'll be giving up stability.

I've only looked at them in passing, but the MX seems like it would be a good utility tractor for someone like you (or me).

I guess this is the place to mention tires. You might consider R4's or shorter R1's to keep the height and CG down.

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
Can't help much in this discussion but, having used an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle, I can tell you the foot clutch is smooth. So inching in to hook up is easy. You would have to get used to using the other foot.

The M is class 2 and has extendable arms which is nice.

I like the M, but I don't think it's right for you, for two reasons:
1. It's big. You mentioned climbing on and off a lot, which I can identify with. Compared to what I use most, I feel like king of the mountain on the M7040. But getting on and off seems like climbing that mountain.
2. Stability. The M is fairly tall. By the time you pull the wheels in to stay within a 6' cutter width, I think you'll be giving up stability.

I've only looked at them in passing, but the MX seems like it would be a good utility tractor for someone like you (or me).

I guess this is the place to mention tires. You might consider R4's or shorter R1's to keep the height and CG down.
I run R4's now and would want to stay with them or I like the R14's. Not sure if they are available from Kubota on the MX or L6060 though. Anybody currently running the R14's?

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
I have only had open station tractors, so I have never experienced a cab. Does the extra weight from the cab typically help with overall stability or does the added height negatively affect the stability on hills?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Some of these tractors are offered in a low profile variant. These would no doubt provide more stability on the hills. Try searching under 'low profile' or 'orchard' on tractorhouse .com. Might give you some ideas. Good luck

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'd never buy without a cab again. I'd want A/C, quiet cab, air ride cloth seat, lots of creature comforts. Life's too short to be spending thousands of hours being uncomfortable. HST is nice if you have cruise control. I prefer the biggest wheels I can get for a smoother ride over rough fields. Some sort of ride control hydraulic accumulator for the loader makes life more comfortable. And a quiet cab.

Go for as much PTO HP and tractor weight you can get. Front and rear hydraulic remotes.

The L6060 has a slick QA system for snowblowers blades etc check out the Messicks videos. I'd probably go that route for a little CUT.