Tractor stalled, but when tapped the brake, ran normally

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Had been moving an implement off a trailer with the FEL today. When done, I parked tractor for 15 minutes or so before moving into barn. As I pulled in and stopped, with clutch depressed, started to lower the empty bucket to ground, the tractor began to stall. Was at roughly 1700 rpm prior to stuttering. Before it fully died, I happened to hit the brakes and then engine resumed running normally.

I am new to this tractor (MX4800DT), so wondering if this is a safety switch, or any other thoughts.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Had been moving an implement off a trailer with the FEL today. When done, I parked tractor for 15 minutes or so before moving into barn. As I pulled in and stopped, with clutch depressed, started to lower the empty bucket to ground, the tractor began to stall. Was at roughly 1700 rpm prior to stuttering. Before it fully died, I happened to hit the brakes and then engine resumed running normally.

I am new to this tractor (MX4800DT), so wondering if this is a safety switch, or any other thoughts.

Thanks!
It could be a safety switch that is loose or malfunctioning. Could also be a lot of other things, too. Tapping the brakes could have jarred it back to working position, or your butt could have shifted in the seat, or fuel in a water containing filter could have moved into the right place... Check the safety switches, first, is my first thought...:D:D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The PTO switch has an interlock with the parking brake, allowing the PTO to work as long as the parking brake is on. Wiggle the PTO switch and see if that solves the problem.

One day, I parked mine after working for an hour or so. Came back and it was dead/mort/toast. I finally got to the PTO lever/switch and it was an RCH out of the OFF position. That was all it took to kill the magic. Cycled the switch a couple times and the magic came back. I musta bumped it getting off the machine.

Good luck!

Ray