Tractor Sizes over the years

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
So I had a moment of extreme boredom and looked at Kubota tractor sizes over the years. I started with my B8200 as point of reference.

B8200 (circa 1989)
60.4" WB
106.7" Overall Length
55.3" Width

L2501 (today)
63.3 WB
106.3" Overall Length
55.1" Width

The B series and LX series of today is smaller then b8200.......

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
LOL. Not disputing your numbers as a B owner...but so what?

Are you implying the B series shrunk over the years? Maybe true...still happy with my B2910 though.... :) (y)

Edit: you might want to add weight to the comparison...might be the same or different...don't know.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
LOL. Not disputing your numbers as a B owner...but so what?

Are you implying the B series shrunk over the years? Maybe true...still happy with my B2910 though.... :) (y)

Edit: you might want to add weight to the comparison...might be the same or different...don't know.
Not implying anything.......I just find it interesting. I was standing next to an L2501 and it just seemed like it should have been larger. I guess that's why they call them compact!

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just wish my B was about 6 inches wider in the arse end

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Tractor size and configuration has changed substantially over the past 30 years, even more over the past 50 years. 50hp and under tractors, at one time, were serious ag machines used by farmers for tillage duties on the many, many small farms so they were 2WD and designed primarily for pulling. Their HP to weight ratio was more skewed to weight. Loaders weren’t ubiquitous and hydraulics were sparse. All you needed was a 3 point and maybe one remote to run a cylinder on a plow or disc.

Now ag tractors are much larger, have complicated guidance and monitoring systems built in, and are almost exclusively front wheel assist or 4WD. The 75hp and under market spends a much lower percentage of their hours in tillage.

As the market has changed, lighter, smaller tractors with front wheel assist, loaders, and much more capable hydraulics have taken over the small tractor market. They’re much more “utility” than ag. For instance, my L at 47hp can be configured for anywhere from about 3,000 lb to more like 5500lb and has several tire choices for its width adjustable rear rims, all of which depends on what you plan to do with it. In physical size and weight it’s slightly smaller than our Farmall H which is only 26hp on the PTO compared to the L’s 39 PTO HP and is similar in weight. The L, however, is a much more versatile machine with a fully functional loader, third function, rear remotes, and lower center of gravity. The H was designed to pull, period. Modern tractors designed to pull, period start at MUCH higher HP. The L, and most tractors under 75hp or so, was designed to be a Swiss Army Knife of a machine; not great at anything in particular but good at a lot of stuff.

So, yeah it’s not surprising to see older tractors be physically larger than their than their modern counterparts of similar hp. Or older tractors being lower hp and less festooned with hydraulics than modern tractors of similar size/weight. It’s partly a function of technology but more a function of manufacturers reacting to changing markets for their products.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
There's an inverse correlation between tractor size and SUV size. The bigger the SUV the homeowner buys, the smaller the SCUT they buy.

My theory is that McMansion garage spaces haven't grown since the 1980's even though house sizes have doubled. In the 1980's homeowners bought Sears ride on mowers which easily fit in the back of the garage. There's just less room today to fit the latest trend of SCUTs with backhoe attachments in the garage. Hence the SCUTs are being made smaller to appeal to the market buyers.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Maybe "my issue" is due to the fact that I worked on a farm for a good many years. Tractors like the Massey 50 (one gas & one diesel) where in the barn as show tractors and the main one to use was a Deere 4440. The 8n Ford my grandfather had was a paint queen that didn't work much and the 9n on my first farm was just to turn the hay elevator. So when buying a tractor size was a fact rather I knew it or not....... Fast forward 10 years and I found myself helping buy a Kubota bx1800. My hopes were not matched by what it could do. My only saving grace was it was for someone else and I didn't have to use it.... they however were tickled pink. When it came time to replace my last piece of equipment, I went right to the 8200 size as a starter and found a nice one, even tho a 1750 or newer would have worked. I could have bought, thanks to zero % right now, a new Kubota. I looked at the B series and was really wanting the LX2610..... but maybe in my mind it all came back to size. My brother runs a Ford 1620. Nice machine...... I don't know, boredom is an interesting problem to have and a curse none the less. Thanks for letting me have my moment.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Size doesn't always tell the whole story. Here's an older post with a comparison between 3 tractors I have experience with. The largest is the most nimble:

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
This is for easy fact checking:
Ya, I use that list frequently to parse out 'families' of different sized Kubotas for a chosen interval of years.
It's not intuitive from the actual model numbers!

Like, just recently, I used that list to tease out tractor models that I then took to the Parts Catalogs to see the range of use for a differential gear set, both across different-sized tractors in an era and across model eras.

As with some other brands of machinery, with Kubota there is a fair amount of this overlap in component use in some assembly groups. This information is useful if you're chasing used parts!

In short, take a part, and ask, "What is the interchange"?

-Paul

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
This trend has developed due mostly because of marketing and the manufacturer's knowledge that most of their targeted audience doesn't really understand anything about equipment. They (customers) recognize "HP" because they've heard that about cars and motorcycles and pickup trucks but they really don't understand what it means in terms of overall tractor performance. They just think more is better.
We run into it all the time at the office with our no-till drill rental program (1590 JD drills 10 ft). I have a well ballasted M4500 2wd. It handles one of those drills in gently rolling terrain just fine. It's only 55 HP. If you put a modern day 55 HP compact in front of one of those you're going to get yourself killed because the mass of the tractor is inadequate to safely pull the implement, if it will pull it at all.
Besides weight folks also don't understand the relationship between HP and torque.
I have only two tractors, the M4500 and a Farmall 340 gas. The Kubota 55 HP and around 111 ft lbs of torque at the rated HP rpm. The Farmall? Only 47 HP, but the torque is something like 128 ft lbs, and is available at a lower, much lower, rpm.
Likewise, almost everyone I know would say that the 55 HP Kubota has more power than say, a 45 HP Farmall Super M. Having run both I can tell you that a Super M will flat out bury the M4500, I mean, it's not even going to be close in terms of the amount of "work" each tractor could do.
Just be careful succumbing to the HP marketing numbers. It's really much more important to consider the weight of the machine when matching tractor "size" to the type of tasks you'll expect it to perform.

Reactions: 4 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Agree HP can be very misleading in general because it includes two variables: time and power (in the case of engines “power” would be torque). So a 200hp boat motor won’t pull nearly as much as a 200hp tractor engine as the boat motor has a LOT more RPM (time) and a lot less torque (power) contributing to the aggregated HP rating. PTO HP at 540 RPM fixes one of the variables (time) so it’s a valid comparison for PTO functions such as running a chipper, pump, etc. where weight is irrelevant. In cases where one of two variables isn’t fixed, HP may be useful for marketing, but little else.

For tractor functions which involve lifting or pulling, weight is an important factor as maximum drawbar is related solely to how much torque can be applied to the dirt and, of course, lifting on either end depends on how much weight you have on the opposing end.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe "my issue" is due to the fact that I worked on a farm for a good many years. Tractors like the Massey 50 (one gas & one diesel) where in the barn as show tractors and the main one to use was a Deere 4440. The 8n Ford my grandfather had was a paint queen that didn't work much and the 9n on my first farm was just to turn the hay elevator. So when buying a tractor size was a fact rather I knew it or not....... Fast forward 10 years and I found myself helping buy a Kubota bx1800. My hopes were not matched by what it could do. My only saving grace was it was for someone else and I didn't have to use it.... they however were tickled pink. When it came time to replace my last piece of equipment, I went right to the 8200 size as a starter and found a nice one, even tho a 1750 or newer would have worked. I could have bought, thanks to zero % right now, a new Kubota. I looked at the B series and was really wanting the LX2610..... but maybe in my mind it all came back to size. My brother runs a Ford 1620. Nice machine...... I don't know, boredom is an interesting problem to have and a curse none the less. Thanks for letting me have my moment.
My little Ford 1920 FEL (32 HP) is truly a sweet little machine.
My L48 TLB is a much larger, and very different animal, but the little Ford holds a special place in my heart, and I use it more often.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Kind of related - - few years ago a co-worker bought a Mahindra tractor/loader/backhoe package.

Don't recall model, but similar to B or LX series....so kind of small at 26 +/- HP. Maybe bare tractor 1,600 pounds +?

He repeatedly recited the rated lift capacity of the loader at 1,800(?) pounds. Guessing it was at pins, and not to full height. 😳

I asked if he was confusing the 3PH with the FEL. He was sure it was loader, and he knows what each is....:unsure:

I explained while it may be rated at 1,800 pounds, I was doubtful his small tractor could actually lift 1,800 pounds.

I never saw the brochure he referred to. Surprised me maker would publish such claims....but maybe I was missing something.......

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
My b8200 is over 1500+lbs with a lift rating at 1015 lbs at 24". Most sub compacts run in the 6-800 lbs range. You would have to have a good size tractor to be over 1800 lbs.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My b8200 is over 1500+lbs with a lift rating at 1015 lbs at 24". Most sub compacts run in the 6-800 lbs range. You would have to have a good size tractor to be over 1800 lbs.
Are you talking 1000lbs lift 24" behind the 3PH?

No way you will lift 1000lbs on a FEL with a 1500lb machine and have 4 wheels on the ground. A good Rule of Thumb is 2 to 1 machine weight to FEL lift ratio.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Are you talking 1000lbs lift 24" behind the 3PH?

No way you will lift 1000lbs on a FEL with a 1500lb machine and have 4 wheels on the ground. A good Rule of Thumb is 2 to 1 machine weight to FEL lift ratio.
Behind the 3pt. I will not own a FEL.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
For tractor functions which involve lifting or pulling, weight is an important factor as maximum drawbar is related solely to how much torque can be applied to the dirt and, of course, lifting on either end depends on how much weight you have on the opposing end.
Yes, and wheelbase is a factor in that.
Short wheelbase + heavy implements front and back = lots of 'porpoising'.
There's too much weight transfer between the front and rear axles with a too-short wheelbase.

-Paul

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
As you say there are differences for uses by the average homeowner now. My old 1974 L260 is diffidently an AG tractor.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
It also begs the question of size for sub/compact/utility tractors, should it always boil down to HP? Also the fine line between garden and sub........I was once told sub compact had to be shaft or gear direct drive, but a simplicity legacy was shaft drive.......

-B5000 46" WB / 75" Length / 770 lbs weight - Sub Compact Tractor
-Simplicity Legacy 55" WB / 79" Length / 802 lbs weight / 450 lbs Cat 0 rear lift - Garden Tractor
-JD 1025R 57.1" WB/ 87.6" Length / 1444 lbs weight - Sub Compact (x949 almost the same size / same Cat 1 Limited yet it is a garden tractor)
-BX2380 55.1" WB / 95.5" Length / 1443 lbs weight - Compact

Clear as mud.....

Last edited: