Tractor shutting off!

Billy G

Equipment
Kubota L6060 50th Anniversary
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum. I just purchased my first tractor in March. I love it. It's a Grand L6060 50th Anniversary edition. I just completed my first 50 hour maintenance and everything went great (except for the paint holding on the HST filter). I was cutting with my flail mower and the tractor all of a sudden came to a crawl and then cut off. It had only done this once before and I cleaned the filter and it worked fine after that. I cleaned the air filter again (I thought good) and it has now happened again. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Thanks in advance for any advice or information given.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum. I just purchased my first tractor in March. I love it. It's a Grand L6060 50th Anniversary edition. I just completed my first 50 hour maintenance and everything went great (except for the paint holding on the HST filter). I was cutting with my flail mower and the tractor all of a sudden came to a crawl and then cut off. It had only done this once before and I cleaned the filter and it worked fine after that. I cleaned the air filter again (I thought good) and it has now happened again. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Thanks in advance for any advice or information given.
Hello Billy G,
Welcome to the forum. This is a long shot, but worth trying. Clean the air intake vents of the fuel tank cap. They can get clogged and then a vacuum is created in the tank and ................no air in, no fuel out. Yup, it is a long shot but it is so easy to check. Just take off the the cap and see if the tractor starts.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find out.

Bob

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

1st, Congrats on the new tractor!!!!!

So just to be clear, after the second time cleaning it, did it start and run again for a while?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
1st, Congrats on the new tractor!!!!!

So just to be clear, after the second time cleaning it, did it start and run again for a while?
Yes sir. It ran again for about 10 minutes. The oil pressure light is coming on as well. I did just change the oil and filter but the dipstick says i'm in range. Although I put in about 1/2 quart (450ml) less than it says it holds B/C it was in range. Has anyone had this happen to them?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Billy - that’s a pretty complicated engine with emissions and computer control, high pressure common rail injection, etc.

Always start with simple stuff though. Did it just shut off, like turning the key? Indicator of a safety switch…maybe seat switch?

Where is the regeneration system at; is it near or calling for a regeneration?

Is it throwing any codes?

Has it gotten hot?

I’m far from an expert with those machines.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Is the oil pressure light coming on when it is running. If so you need to hook up a manual gauge with a tee to verify engine oil pressure. I am not sure but some engines will shut down if oil pressure is low. Kind of a guard for warranty purposes against stupid people(Had a customer with a newish Equinox that the rear main seal popped out, customer was so proud that they drove it right over to the dealership instead of waiting for the tow truck--it was 18 miles away. Engine damage was terminal-needed new engine.)

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
Billy - that’s a pretty complicated engine with emissions and computer control, high pressure common rail injection, etc.

Always start with simple stuff though. Did it just shut off, like turning the key? Indicator of a safety switch…maybe seat switch?

Where is the regeneration system at; is it near or calling for a regeneration?

Is it throwing any codes?

Has it gotten hot?

I’m far from an expert with those machines.
No sir it shut off slowly. My PTO was engaged with my flail mower. All of a sudden the the PTO power drastically decreased and the tractor just slowed down and then kinda stalled out. Then the battery light and oil pressure light were left on.

It shouldn't be near a regeneration. I just had to do that about 10 hours ago.

It isn't throwing any codes.

It hasn't run hot either.

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
Is the oil pressure light coming on when it is running. If so you need to hook up a manual gauge with a tee to verify engine oil pressure. I am not sure but some engines will shut down if oil pressure is low. Kind of a guard for warranty purposes against stupid people(Had a customer with a newish Equinox that the rear main seal popped out, customer was so proud that they drove it right over to the dealership instead of waiting for the tow truck--it was 18 miles away. Engine damage was terminal-needed new engine.)
No sir it doesn't come on while running.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
What year is the 50 anniversary? Did you change/clean the fuel filter? Any chance that the diesel has water in it. Maybe some algae growing in the diesel, try some biocide in the fuel. Just wondering if cleaning the air filter gave the tractor some time to refill the fuel lines. Just so you know an air filter has to be really really dirty before an engine will not run, usually the engine will run just not rev up quickly.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
More clarifying questions…
So it dies like it ran out of fuel, ran again for 10 minutes.
How long did it sit before it started and ran the 10 minutes?
Will it idle for a long period and then die or does it die at higher RPMs only?

I’m guessing that the fuel is contaminated with algae and plugging up the fuel filter or something.

I would have the dealership repair it and claim warranty if they kept it outside and you kept it indoors since purchase. Water in the fuel is bad for the fuel system on that tractor and needs to be evaluated and eliminated if present.

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
What year is the 50 anniversary? Did you change/clean the fuel filter? Any chance that the diesel has water in it. Maybe some algae growing in the diesel, try some biocide in the fuel. Just wondering if cleaning the air filter gave the tractor some time to refill the fuel lines. Just so you know an air filter has to be really really dirty before an engine will not run, usually the engine will run just not rev up quickly.
It's this year. It only has 50 hours on it. Diesel shouldn't have water in it. The tank and the tractor are kept inside. Not under a shed, in doors. I have not changed or cleaned the fuel filter. I can definitely look at that and see.

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina

I’m guessing that the fuel is contaminated with algae and plugging up the fuel filter or something.

I would have the dealership repair it and claim warranty if they kept it outside and you kept it indoors since purchase. Water in the fuel is bad for the fuel system on that tractor and needs to be evaluated and eliminated if present.
It dies like within 10-15 seconds after the PTO power decreases. Sat for about 15-20 minutes then ran for another 10 minutes. I don't know if it will idle for a long period of time b/c I typically get in it and i'm running some sort of PTO implement.

I can definitely check the fuel filter and fuel system. Thanks

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yes sir. It ran again for about 10 minutes. The oil pressure light is coming on as well. I did just change the oil and filter but the dipstick says i'm in range. Although I put in about 1/2 quart (450ml) less than it says it holds B/C it was in range. Has anyone had this happen to them?
I don't know that model, but could low oil pressure be shutting it down? The manual may say.
Since you just changed the filter, it could be worth cracking the oil filter loose till it drips. Then tighten it again. I have seen them become air bound on gas motors.

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
I don't know that model, but could low oil pressure be shutting it down? The manual may say.
Since you just changed the filter, it could be worth cracking the oil filter loose till it drips. Then tighten it again. I have seen them become air bound on gas motors.
The manual does say that that could be the problem. I'm going to look at the fuel filter and then if that doesn't work i'm going to add the remainder of the oil the manual calls for. I just didn't want to put too much oil so I stopped adding when I was in the "full zone".

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The manual does say that that could be the problem. I'm going to look at the fuel filter and then if that doesn't work i'm going to add the remainder of the oil the manual calls for. I just didn't want to put too much oil so I stopped adding when I was in the "full zone".
If there is oil on the stick, then the level in the pan is high enough that the pick-up tube is submerged. I would not add any oil if it is between the marks. That's not the problem, IMHO.
What I should have asked- does the oil pressure light come on while the engine is running, or does it come on as it begins to shut down? If the engine is stalling out that could be causing the low pressure as the pump slows down.

Billy G

Equipment
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
If there is oil on the stick, then the level in the pan is high enough that the pick-up tube is submerged. I would not add any oil if it is between the marks. That's not the problem, IMHO.
What I should have asked- does the oil pressure light come on while the engine is running, or does it come on as it begins to shut down? If the engine is stalling out that could be causing the low pressure as the pump slows down.
It comes on as the engine is stalling out.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Shouldn’t be the air filter. It’s got an inner and an outer, correct? As well as a negative presser indicator?

How’s the screen in front of the radiator look?

Long ago when my L was still new, I overheated it without realizing it until the dash told me rolling some messages. I was brush hogging and grass, seeds etc plugged up the radiator screen. After I cleaned the screen, it had me idle the engine for a while before it was cooled down enough and good to go again. I sort of think it might have powered out and shut itself down when it overheated.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It comes on as the engine is stalling out.
Ah, ok. Ignore my suggestion of cracking the filter. As the engine slows to a stall, the oil pump is also slowing. Your oil level/pressure are likely not an issue. I misunderstood the sequence you were describing.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

I wish we’d quit using the word “algae” when discussing microbes in fuel. It may be expedient but it is incorrect and can be misleading.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I wish we’d quit using the word “algae” when discussing microbes in fuel. It may be expedient but it is incorrect and can be misleading.
Microbial contamination will be my new favorite terminology instead. It is more accurate so why not use it!