Tractor model advice

psbhouston

Equipment
M 9540, ZD 331
Oct 10, 2010
Columbus Texas
I am looking to add on a Kubota M110GX. I think it is built more for the row crop guys but the cab changes and trans upgrade makes it interesting.
If you compare this to the Deere 6130D (not a real match to the Kubota but it is on my short list) the real difference is the transmission. The Kubota 24 speed seems like a lot of computor which is fine when things are new.
What is the reputation on these transmissions and are we looking at big worries after use and years?

Current price range is $68Kwith a loader. Does that seem right?
JD wants $67K + for the 6130 - air seat and basic 9and 9 speed trans.

We have the 95 series and it is simple compared to the 110gx.

I plan on keeping the next tractor until Jesus comes back - just dont want to spend time praying to repair a complicated tractor?

Anyone have any experience with these?

Many thanks

Greg

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't have any experience with the M110GX but have been around this new electronic controlled equipment for a good while. Like you said when it's new all the bells and whistles are nice. Finger tip controls are so easy to use it really spoils you when you get back on a mechanical machine it seems like a different world.

Now that being said I have seen more than once a single sensor shut down a machine and it cost several thousand dollars to repair it. I'm sure Kubota builds their tractors as good as any brand and better than some of the others. But IMHO if you want a tractor that will be ready for anything you can throw at it a standard tractor with real linkage instead of wires would be the way to go. My friend has a JD 8400 and it makes my 9000 seem like a kids toy. The cab is big enough to live in, air ride swivel seat and electronic everything. It's the nicest tractor I have ever been in but has already had a few small issues with the controls. If I was looking to buy one that would last from now on I really think I would sacrifice some comfort to gain the reliability. Not saying the GX tractors don't look great. I think the new ones look better than ever but if I was buying one for myself right now it would be the 108S.

psbhouston

Equipment
M 9540, ZD 331
Oct 10, 2010
Columbus Texas
Bulldog

Thanks for your reply. I think you are on target regarding the high tech end of the tractors. We operate some large HP tractors in our rice fields with the dial up trans / auto shift etc. - and when a sensor goes it is a real problem.

There are not too many Ag units out there that dont have a computor on board. Mid size or utility is different. Kubota is basic in the 9000 series but I need more weight on the ground.

I am looking at the Deere 6130D maybe the 6140 - as they are basic machines with no bells or frills - and I can still put them on a trailer if needed. When you get into their mid size Ag models - not only is trailering them get to be an issue - but Deere puts their aftermarket money makers on everything.

Having said all of that - with about 10 grand difference in price in the GX to Deere - I can afford to see a repair bill down the road?

And to reverse that thought - have you noticed the Deere resale values lately.
We just sold a 13 year old unit that was in good shape and it brought almost 80% of original purchase price. I dont get it.

Take care and thanks

Will look at the 108

QUOTE=Bulldog;57509]I don't have any experience with the M110GX but have been around this new electronic controlled equipment for a good while. Like you said when it's new all the bells and whistles are nice. Finger tip controls are so easy to use it really spoils you when you get back on a mechanical machine it seems like a different world.

Now that being said I have seen more than once a single sensor shut down a machine and it cost several thousand dollars to repair it. I'm sure Kubota builds their tractors as good as any brand and better than some of the others. But IMHO if you want a tractor that will be ready for anything you can throw at it a standard tractor with real linkage instead of wires would be the way to go. My friend has a JD 8400 and it makes my 9000 seem like a kids toy. The cab is big enough to live in, air ride swivel seat and electronic everything. It's the nicest tractor I have ever been in but has already had a few small issues with the controls. If I was looking to buy one that would last from now on I really think I would sacrifice some comfort to gain the reliability. Not saying the GX tractors don't look great. I think the new ones look better than ever but if I was buying one for myself right now it would be the 108S.[/QUOTE]