Tow behind sweeper

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Hey guys,

So I don't have a bagger for my BX and rather then find the almost 3k they want for one, I was thinking about a tow behind sweeper.

The one I have in mind is sold at tsc here in canada and is made by agri fab. They also seem to be the supplier for jd & craftsman.

I'm thinking of the 44 inch model. Has anyone pulled one of these behind their bx? Am I wasting my money and time on this idea?

Thx in advance.

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
If you're near Hamilton or Branford I'll sell you one cheap. I've never really used it for grass but it picks up and leaves good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I had one of those (but a Craftsman brand) but same thing - and I pulled it behind my Craftsman Garden Tractor. Like this one http://www.sears.com/agri-fab-inc-4...p-07124644000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

It did a very good job picking up grass clippings and leaves and whatever was in it's path. I used it for a couple of years. Now I use a mulching blade/kit.

Mine did not have a greaseable axle shaft bearings/bushings (which is the same shaft that also turns the broom) and it would seize up sitting all winter. Then the tractor would drag it around with the wheels (and broom) not turning until I could get everything freed up. If I where to buy another one I would look for greaseable bearings (or be sure to have a place to park it inside).

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I use on to pick up chest nut hulls damned spikey things,, anyway I found that it would slip on the damp grass SOOOOOO I had a bunch of fasteners left over from the pole building and screwed them in the tires,, works pretty ok after that

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
If you're near Hamilton or Branford I'll sell you one cheap. I've never really used it for grass but it picks up and leaves good.

Thanks for your offer, but I'm east of ottawa :/

OBKubota

Equipment
2014Gr2120,Gr2728Snowblower,Gck5GrassCatcher,agri-FabSpreader
Oct 21, 2014
Ontario
It's too bad I just come back from Ottawa this morning. Rain rain rain LOL mine worked well but I have too many leaves I now have the grass catcher it does a great job. Like bumpkin said you have to keep them lubed up and preferably in a dry place and it should work well. Good Luck.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I believe the one I have is around 40" it's a Agri Fab, I've had it for 16 years and never spent a dime on it. My kids have the one from Princess Auto and it's much like mine. It works better on the solid hitch on the BX, if you use the 3pth when the weight of the grass increases in the bag it tends to lift the hitch and the brush changes height and doesn't pick up as well.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
I bought a Agrifab Husqvarna commercial 42" in 2007 & it has performed very well on the 6 acres of grass thus far. I have not had to replace any parts at all. None broken or worn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
Hey guys,

So I don't have a bagger for my BX and rather then find the almost 3k they want for one, I was thinking about a tow behind sweeper.

The one I have in mind is sold at tsc here in canada and is made by agri fab. They also seem to be the supplier for jd & craftsman.

I'm thinking of the 44 inch model. Has anyone pulled one of these behind their bx? Am I wasting my money and time on this idea?

Thx in advance.
I have the sweeper pictured. It does a great job picking up grass, leaves, pine straw and cones. It will even pick up a long neck budwiser bottle with out breaking it. The agfab 44" smart sweeper has been a good investment for me. I use it to clean up next to the highway as well as my usual yard chores. It has to be adjusted properly to the height of the tractor's tow hitch so it pulls level. It is limited to the slower speeds ( 5mph and below). According to the reviews I read on amazon, the wheels are the weak link. The wheel assembly is all plastic including the ring gear that drives the broom. The rest of the drive assembly is metal after the wheels. If it is pulled too fast or overloaded with wet grass. The replacement wheels are about $40 for a set of two. Despite those reviews I bought it and love it. I haven't had any trouble with it at all. (3yrs and counting) I don't tow it with my B7100. I leave the sweeping chore to my 67 model john deere 110. The sweeper was easy to assemble and adjust to the mower. Dumping from the tractor seat is also very easy. When not in use it is kept inside and out of the weather. Sorry this is so long.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Only thing with a sweeper, you need. Place to dump thats not a long ways away. My pile was so far from area i wanted to clean it was a pain. Even having a good size bin would fill quick. Oak leaves. Makes for many trips. Got rid of it as it wasnt satisfying my needs. I mow/mulch everything. It was a smaller agri-fab.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Only thing with a sweeper, you need. Place to dump thats not a long ways away. My pile was so far from area i wanted to clean it was a pain. Even having a good size bin would fill quick. Oak leaves. Makes for many trips. Got rid of it as it wasnt satisfying my needs. I mow/mulch everything. It was a smaller agri-fab.

I was given a lawn sweeper a few years back. Think it stayed at the house for a couple weeks then gave it to a friend. They use it to pick up gum balls in there yard.

I have 12 big oaks in the front yard. Would fill the sweeper up with half a pass. Then dump into the bed of my truck. Truck was filled to over flowing in a 1/2 hour, and hadn't come close to making a dent in the leaves.

Much easier to blow and burn, or chop them up :D

Last edited:

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
My Dad has a sweeper like that. It works very well... but the bag fills so quick... it's almost a pain to use. He originally got it for leaves, but since it doesn't mulch or break them up... it would fill with fluffy leaves in about 2 minutes, and he would have to stop to dump it 50 times before his yard was done.

SO.......

If this is just for grass clippings... then buy some good mulching blades, and don't worry. If it's for leaves... then look at other options. (basically, don't buy it for those 2 uses)

I too needed a bagging system for my fall leaves, and I also thought that the factory BX bagger was just CRAZY expensive. Plus, a lot of the reviews say it's a total pain to take on and off. So, I checked craigslist, and found a bagger off an Ingersoll tractor. With a little fab work... I mounted it up, and it works like a champ !! (I have less than $400 into it) SO... if you look around, you may be able to find a bag system that can be adapted. Or... just buy the ag-fab power bag system, or a cyclone rake. they have great lift, and have a big bag so you don't have to keep stopping. (My dad now has a cyclone rake)

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was looking to use it for picking up grass and thatch in the spring.

jriz65

Equipment
B2650,MMM,FEL, EA Pine straw rake, Bush Hog SQ148 cutter, LP 72" Rake, EA 55"Roo
Apr 11, 2012
Orchard Park,NY
I have an agri fab sweeper that I bought from TSC about 6-7 yrs ago. It works very well for grass clippings, leaves and small twigs. As others have said, if the yard is wet it won't work as well and I agree the angle of the 3 pt hitch adversely effects the sweeping effectiveness.

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
I have a White brand 48" sweeper, had used it with my baby MF316GTX, and now use it every fall with my BX25D to clean up all the Maple, Poplar leaves and pine needles from my and my neighbour's yard, and haul it over to dump into my 30' X 50' veggie garden plot before tilling under for the winter. In the spring, I give it one more pass with the tiller, and plant.

It works great, for the pine cones too.

houser52

Equipment
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600, LA680 Loader
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina
I use a sweeper to get up those d#*% balls off of gum trees and it's worked great for the last 10+ years.
That huge gum tree is in the edge of my back yard and if it didn't provide as much shade as it does, I'd cut it down. I hate those balls.

Forgot to mention that it's an agri fab sweeper from TSC.