Top Link issue (BX25D-1)

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Went to install the box blade today and found one end of the top link virtually frozen (turns one turn only). The threads I can see (which is most of them as it's almost all the way out) are clean and rust free. I've WD 40'd it and tried to coax it around while in a vise with cheater. Much harder and something will break. Pulled the side plugs ran some compressed air and WD40 inside; still no go.

So, unless someone has another idea, I see cutting it off and drilling out the stuck section (or just buying a new one).

Other ideas?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are roll pins driven into the threaded rod inside the center section. They keep the threaded sections from coming out.

If the threaded rod was turned out too far it may have damaged the internal threads.

I suggest you use a better penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster and let it set for days. You can actually spray some into the center section and hang it vertically to get into the threaded section.

Then make sure you are turning it the correct rotation to make it go shorter. One end is RH threads the other is LH threads so make sure which way it turns.

Spray and turn if it will turn then stop and back it up, spray again repeat until you get more movement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Could be bent too. It doesn't take much deflection on the threads to render them useless.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I spent some time this morning to see if I could coax it free - nope. So I bought a replacement so I could get on with life, but I will keep playing with the old one a bit more just because I am curious if it's the roll pin or a bend or a thread issue.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Last time mine did that, I introduced it to my friend the 24" pipe wrench. No trouble since.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When mine was stuck, one end attached to tractor and a long bar through the other eye convinced it to rotate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For what it's worth, I think the Kubota top links are junk, at least the one that came with my BX2360.

I had a similar issue with mine, but not over-extended. Honestly, only part of the tractor I really disliked. Not a fan of the quarter-inching control, but learned to live with it.

Just bought another top-link for $25 that I'm much happier with. :D

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
For what it's worth, I think the Kubota top links are junk, at least the one that came with my BX2360. :D
I think your right. Compared to the replacement I acquired the OEM link is pretty puny.

Good to hear a little bigger wrench, tractor or heat may coax it. At this point, not much to lose. If it breaks, it obviously deserves it!