Tooth bar and tiller

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
I've got a bx2380 and I've been doing a lot of landscaping with it digging up honeysuckle and trying to regrade some areas. The loader really kind of struggles digging and I've heard toothbars help. The only one I've seen mentioned frequently is the piranha. Are there other options? My bucked is provisioned for bolting a blade to the bucket without drilling and I would like to take advantage of that if it's reasonable to do so.

I'm also looking for a tiller. The only thing I see when i search for things that work with the bx are land pride tillers. So again, are there other options you would recommend and what I should expect to pay. The 48" land pride I found runs about 2300 it's the rtr1242

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have a piranha tooth bar, so I can't answer your question on alternatives.

I bought my 5' tiller from Rural King. King Kutter brand, but listed as a Rural King model. They have 48" models that should work on your machine. I don't know where you are though.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Do you use a quick hitch? If so I recommend the 5' tiller. Rural King/King Cutter has 2 4' tillers. One model appears to be QH compatible and the tiller is offset (to the right???) The XB model needs to be modified for the QH.

I had to buy longer lift pins and used washers to space them out (added QH bushings. Top link, moved bushing to front hole and separate bolts in rear holes. You will need to size the pto shaft also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fu4KwtJG0o

Attachments

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Made my own tooth bar with replaceable teeth

Used bobcat weld on bucket adaptors. These are welded to 100mm x 10mm flatbar. The whole unit slips on and off in a few minutes.

These are really effective in heavy clay and for big tree roots.

Attachments

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Look up everythingattachments.com , they seem to take Land Pride equipment and "take it up a notch", they make things a little more heavy duty, but cost a little more, too. Checkout some videos on everythingattachment's site at each implement you're thinking of getting and other implement videos, too, its good info. heavyhitch.com has a toothbar , it costs more but its different than the piranha bar. Different uses I guess. Seems to me if somebody would get the heavyhitch bar for digging up underbrush that you could do the same thing with a grapple but then just pick it up with the grapple and finish the job without getting off the tractor. Just a thought. A grapple costs way more than a toothbar, tho.

XJman

Apr 12, 2020
US
Thanks guys. I'll browse around those mentioned. King cutter and everything attachments didn't even come up when i Google searched this to start.

I want the tooth bar for 2 things mainly, scraping out junk with the blade facing down and trying to tear root systems. It would be handy to drag across some areas I've dug up where a tiller may not reach to loosen and level the dirt but I don't know that it'll do any better at that than the flat blade.

I just know I've used other bucket equipment with teeth and it made it much easier to tear junk out and get under stuff.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have the piranha tooth bar and it serves me well.

Great for ripping up small trees, I place it near the bottom and ease for and out pops the tree with the roots in most cases.

Does great for digging, changed the game for me.

Thought when I bought it 4 years ago I'd take it off when not digging, ripping out trees, or digging into piles of rock and dirt. to date never been off the bucket.

I think you will be pleased with one and it will do the things you want of it.

Good luck.

Jay

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
With mine no, the way it interlocks with the bucket edge would make it difficult for that to happen.

If I got home today and mine had been stolen I'd order a new one tonight.

I'm sure other brands will do a fine job but for me no need to look further.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
I've got the piranha bar to do exactly the same stuff and it's amazing. I can't imagine a straight-up tooth bar or attachment of any kind would work as well, especially for brush because of the large spaces between the teeth. The piranha literally grabs the brush, scrub, weeds, etc. and tears it all out. It also made digging and scooping soooo much easier, and would do so for anything but really rocky soil.

For tillers I have a Taylorway 962-48 on my BX23S that has been outstanding as well. I recommend going through with a box blade (or disk) with the scarifiers down to tear out as many roots and find as many subsurface stumps as you can, just to save wear and tear on the tiller. I recently did that on about a half-acre of space on my land that used to be wooded and full of brush, to prep it for grass seed. You can see how cleanly it got the job done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
So you can kind of see the progression in this first photo. I had parts of the property hit with a forestry mulcher to take things to ground level, but roots and flush-cut stumps were left. I used the backhoe for big stumps and box blade scarifiers for roots and small stumps. Up front you can see the finished area; beyond that a number of trees with 5"-10" diameter trunks that were also left in the cleared area that I took down with the BX23S. Some were chainsawed and the stumps dug out, but I eventually got smart and started digging a trench in "front" and "behind" the trees and pushing them over, the piranha bar really stiffened the bucket lip and helped with that. In the back of the photo is virgin property,how it all started. Also in the back right side of the cleared area you can see the weed coverage that had grown along the whole right side - I was genuinely surprised at how well all that was cleaned up/tilled in.

Second photo is a close-up of how it started; all that brush and scrub, crepe myrtle looking stuff, comes out real easy with the piranha. Push it over from 4'-5' up, then use the bar to scoop/push the root ball out. Third & fourth pics show the small-ish trees where I used that technique.

I thought I had a pic of a spot where I just went through the brush using the piranha bar 2"-4" off the ground to rip it out, but can't find it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My order of preference is weld on teeth, then bolt on teeth, and I dislike tooth bars.

I bought a tooth bar for my tractor, tried it a few times, then removed it permanently because I find it just gums up too much due to poor design. The teeth aren't a tight fit around the bucket and it constantly gets plugged with roots and grass. With weld on teeth you can back blade to clear debris. With the tooth bar I have to climb off the tractor and clear debris stuck in the teeth by hand. I wouldn't buy another one nor would I recommend it.

I like the looks of the piranha bar and it looks like it would be cleaner and easier to use. I've never used one so I can't say for sure. I never have problems with welded teeth. Currently I use my root rake or backhoe if I need the teeth. Ideally I'd like a 4 in 1 bucket with welded teeth.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I love the piranha tooth bar. It's a game changer for digging, clearing, and back blading

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
+1 for the piranha tooth bar. I have a Land Pride RTR0550 that I bought off craigslist, and I’ve been very happy with it. I wanted one from everythingattchments but the wait was more than I could handle. I do have a grapple and box blade from them, and they have served me well.

When choosing a tiller, I do recommend you get one wide enough to cover your tire tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Kowalski

Equipment
L2550 DT
Oct 14, 2015
Illinois USA
Check into WoodMaxx. I have a WoodMaxx snowblower that is very well built and was a great value - Less expensive than other options.
They also make tillers, backhoes, etc. You can buy in Kubota orange too! Shipping is free.
The products are made in Italy - pretty good stuff.