Tool Box

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I find the tool box that comes with my MX 5200 a little on the small side. Like I've said, it's 2 miles from the front to the back of my property, a little far to be running for tools. I can't seem to find a decent location for a larger box. Am I the only one with this problem?

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I replaced mine with one like this (except mine is black):http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-steel-hip-roof-box-16-in-l-red

I have the backhoe though so my tool box was moved to just in front of the right rear wheel (or else the backhoe seat would be in the way when the backhoe is on) to a bracket attached to the backhoe subframe and it fits nicely there. It should also fit on the original location on the ROPS. You just have to drill two holes in the tool box. It has a tray in the top and I keep various hand tools in the bottom and the wrenches to remove the 3 point linkage plus extra pins and bushings on the tray. I like that location for tools but would prefer something in the original location for the pins and bushings. I'm used to toolboxes being mounted on the right side where the loader would mount but with the loader that's not an option but the mount on the backhoe subframe is a nice alternative.

I also bought a ROPS clamp mount box from BXpanded but that dinky plastic box fell off and was eaten by the bush hog but I replaced it with a 30 Cal ammo can but it's kind of pricey to basically only get the BXpanded bracket for what the system costs, especially no larger than it is. I plan on using that to store bungee and ratchet straps and I have my SMV sign attached to it since the original one was moved to the backhoe.

I wish I had room for one of these:http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/ammo-cans-storage-containers/50-cal-ammo-can-holder.html. The only place to put one would be on the ROPS where the original one was but I doubt I'll have the clearance for it with the backhoe on but it would probably work on yours.

The other option I thought about would be to put a 50 cal ammo can on the left fender between the handle and the turn signal.

Do your loader mounts have the holes at the bottom to bolt the backhoe subframe to just behind the front wheels? If so maybe you could fab up a bracket to attach to that.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I'm sure your aware of the rain in South tx. I'm out at my cabin with intentions to check out your suggestions, wellwell to make a long story short, I need waiders to get out there and my balance is bad at best, I guess I'll just have to wait for the water to go down. Suggestions sound like solid ideas.

colej

Equipment
L2850
Jun 27, 2016
paige
as scdeerslayer noted, i have a 50 cal ammo box on the L2850 i just bought that the previous owner put on there years ago and it works great it seems.
he bolted it up off the fender with a couple pieces of 1x2 so it is not in direct contact with the fender - i suppose so water can evap and not rust out fender & ammo can.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
as scdeerslayer noted, i have a 50 cal ammo box on the L2850 i just bought that the previous owner put on there years ago and it works great it seems.
he bolted it up off the fender with a couple pieces of 1x2 so it is not in direct contact with the fender - i suppose so water can evap and not rust out fender & ammo can.
I've mounted ammo cans on just about every small tractor I own. I use the sawdust and plastic deck board lumber, it is easy to work with as it has no grain pattern, and since its mostly plastic, doesn't rot or check, and takes paint well...:D:D

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
Ditto for the Ammo Boxes, I have a smaller 30 cal. Ammo box on my BX, and a 'Fat 50' cal. box on the tongue frame of my trailer, hold any tools I might need, straps, pins, chain, etc. secure, weather-proof. Love them!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Hfrs7

Equipment
Grand L 6060 --- ZD 326
Nov 2, 2014
Alabama
I built this for my L6060 and mounted an ammo can for tools. You could mount whatever size box you need. I have more pics but don't know how to post multiple ones from my IPad.....

Attachments