Took used oil and coolant to Advanced Auto

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
When they reclaim used oil, they vacuum distill it. Antifreeze and water would come out first even at atmospheric distillation.

Heavy stuff from the vacuum distillation would get discarded and would have any metals, etc. in it.

I've sometimes combined my brake fluid I replace with used oil.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The correct term is actually re-refined. It is a more costly process than using virgin crude due to vacuum distillation to remove dirt, water and used additives, and then hydro-treatments to remove any remaining chemical contaminants. At that point it can be sent for re-refining. But it looks great on paper for saving the planet, even though it uses more energy in the process.
The most common use for used petroleum products is industrial heating in power plants and factories.
The most sensible use is on site industrial heating due to EPA cradle-to-grave liability laws. Bonus to this is, I have never had a heating bill for my shop in 30 years of operation.
I knew quite a few businesses in the northeast that installed oil burners in there shops with the same results. No need to recycle the used motor oil and low heating bills for the shop and office 👍👍👍👍

Reactions: 1 user

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
My Kubota dealer accepts used oil. I've never taken it there, but every time I buy oil they remind me.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I knew quite a few businesses in the northeast that installed oil burners in there shops with the same results. No need to recycle the used motor oil and low heating bills for the shop and office 👍👍👍👍
My local repair facility heats wirh a waste oil burner. They have more than they need.

Dan

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
one other thing, who actually enforces this?

again, I’m not in Vermont, but I’ve dealt with public owned vehicles for 20 years and counting, never have had special fluids to dump in them…

(another side note, these tax payer owned vehicles aren’t electric 😉)
You reminded me of this (ok, so it's not a state vehicle):
0310201509a_Film3.jpg

Henry county is a rural county about 2 counties away. I laughed thinking about this as a pursuit vehicle.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Yeah I see you guys able to bring stuff in and honestly I get envious. But, apparently here in Illnausea they can simply turn their back on EPA rules. Only place I now have to bring oil back to is Walmart. Even the oil change places, auto parts stores and so on refuse it now. And as for coolant? Fuggedaboutit. After the last time I tried I've given up and the cars go to the dealership for full flushes and fills. As guilty as it makes me feel, for the tractor I simply open the petcock, flush and fill and wash it down the drive. Nothing else I can do. Gas being $5 gal and up not about to chase all over the county to find a place to take it back

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Where I live (Vermont) there are strict environmental laws.
There is a "Hazzardous Waste Depot" where we MUST take anything deemed hazardous.

It is always free to get rid of this stuff to encourage folks to not dump it in the environment.

As an example, here is website for the local "Hazzardous Waste Depot":
lol…why do you spell “hazardous” with two “Zs”? Is that sacred “Vermont” law as well?

• Haha

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Wow, that Prius has a prisoner cage! :oops:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yeah I see you guys able to bring stuff in and honestly I get envious. But, apparently here in Illnausea they can simply turn their back on EPA rules. Only place I now have to bring oil back to is Walmart. Even the oil change places, auto parts stores and so on refuse it now. And as for coolant? Fuggedaboutit. After the last time I tried I've given up and the cars go to the dealership for full flushes and fills. As guilty as it makes me feel, for the tractor I simply open the petcock, flush and fill and wash it down the drive. Nothing else I can do. Gas being $5 gal and up not about to chase all over the county to find a place to take it back
The waste oil recyclers used to pay businesses for used oil. But if the oil was contaminated with coolant, then you got charged for it.

Getting paid for used oil went away around 10 years ago. Now we/they get charged for it period. So I can understand why less and less places accept used oil.

I have the added benefit of being a service tech. So..... I would make sure and do my services on any equipment at home when I was on call for work and have my service truck there.

I would supply my own oil, and filters. But (shamefully) took full advantage of having the evac and waste oil storage of the service truck to dispose of the used oil.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For many years, have taken mine to a local auto repair/tire place. I kind of have run of the place.

They burn the waste oil for heat. I dump it in the tank at the back of the shop.

Not sure what they do with coolant, but I leave that where they want it.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I've sometimes combined my brake fluid I replace with used oil.
DOT 3&4 Brake fluid is glycol based, not petroleum. If anything it should be put in with antifreeze. That‘s the biggest problem with accepting DIYers used oil in a small shop setting for disposal, you never know what they contaminated it with. I’m very particular about who I’ll accept it from. Opened a drop off one day and all I could smell was Brakleen… which if burned creates dioxins. The customer admitted to cleaning off parts in his oil drain pan with a few cans of it. I had him take it to Auto Zone.

Last edited:

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
All gets shaken up and taken back in oil container. Advance takes it, they have a sheet you put your name and address on with how many gallons. Tractor Supply takes it also around here.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
All gets shaken up and taken back in oil container.
Yep, that’s great. They send away and clean it up with vacuum distillation. For those taking it to the little repair shop around the corner, you’re contaminating their heating oil supply. And… if it really is around the corner, you’re breathing it in when it gets burned!

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Dilution is the solution to pollution.
I recall back in the 1980's a large company in the Boston area paid to haul away hazardous waste was caught...

It turned out that they would "dispose" of the waste by driving on highways in the rain while and slowly draining their trucks.