Too much oil to the top of motor

mayco

Equipment
L185 DT Koyker 150 loader 4ft 3point mower
May 21, 2010
little compton ri usa
Hi VIC or anyone who can HELP. I have a L185 DT with a z751 motor it has the right oil pres called for in the man. But if you run it mowing with a 4ft field mower,or any exd. period of time it will push oil out the breather. The oil comes out slow but a steady stream. It has done this for along time, the motor was rebuilt and runs and starts great. I have the oil baffel in place and it still runs out. I have to keep a oil bottle on the breather hose to catch the oil. If i run the tractor for 2hrs. it will push out 1/4 of a qt. or more of oil. I have used 10-30 15-40 20-50 it still pushes out oil. Is there too much oil going to the top of the motor? and what can i do to help this problem. THANKS ALL REPLIES WILL HELP. Mayco:confused:

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
I have a B1750 HSD and had oil spurt out the breather tube for the first time yesterday. The oil level is high on the engine dipstick. The oil in the HST is not high enough to reach the dipstick. My reading on forums indicates that the seal between the transmission and the engine is shot. I gather I must now dismantle the entire tractor and change the seal.
I do not know if your tractor has the same problem, but if it does not have water and oil mixing, leaks out the breather and maintains a high level in the engine, the oil has to be coming from somewhere, e.g. the tranny.
Good luck!

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I have a B1750 HSD and had oil spurt out the breather tube for the first time yesterday. The oil level is high on the engine dipstick. The oil in the HST is not high enough to reach the dipstick. My reading on forums indicates that the seal between the transmission and the engine is shot. I gather I must now dismantle the entire tractor and change the seal.
I do not know if your tractor has the same problem, but if it does not have water and oil mixing, leaks out the breather and maintains a high level in the engine, the oil has to be coming from somewhere, e.g. the tranny.
Good luck!
I think you may only have a seal gone on the hydraulic pump. There is no connection between the engine and tranny except for a drive shaft. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hi VIC or anyone who can HELP. I have a L185 DT with a z751 motor it has the right oil pres called for in the man. But if you run it mowing with a 4ft field mower,or any exd. period of time it will push oil out the breather. The oil comes out slow but a steady stream. It has done this for along time, the motor was rebuilt and runs and starts great. I have the oil baffel in place and it still runs out. I have to keep a oil bottle on the breather hose to catch the oil. If i run the tractor for 2hrs. it will push out 1/4 of a qt. or more of oil. I have used 10-30 15-40 20-50 it still pushes out oil. Is there too much oil going to the top of the motor? and what can i do to help this problem. THANKS ALL REPLIES WILL HELP. Mayco:confused:
Do you have a lot of vapor coming out the breather? I don't see how you can have too much oil going to the top end. Something else is going on here.

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
Further research in the shop manual indicates that the seal on the hydraulic pump drive is indeed the most likely source of excess oil in the engine. It is the same fluid as in the transmission but the transmission does not have a direct connection to the engine. This should result in much less work to change the seal than I originally suggested.
Sorry for any confusion; I am becoming a confused old man, though there are those who would testify there was never a time when I was not confused.

mayco

Equipment
May 21, 2010
little compton ri usa
Do you have a lot of vapor coming out the breather? I don't see how you can have too much oil going to the top end. Something else is going on here.
The motor has no blow buy, it only does this if you run the tractor over i hr or more, over 2000 rpm. It has the right amount of oil and i even ran it a 1/2 qt low,it still pushed oil out the breather. :confused:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The motor has no blow buy, it only does this if you run the tractor over i hr or more, over 2000 rpm. It has the right amount of oil and i even ran it a 1/2 qt low,it still pushed oil out the breather. :confused:
Sounds quite odd. to be pushing that amount out. Double check the baffle is correctly installed in the breather.:confused:

Just another thought...try running the engine with the valve cover off just to see what is going on. Also I had this suggested to me for this same problem, put some steal wool in the baffle. It sometimes helps slow things up.

Last edited:

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
You said it was rebuilt, could someone have put the head gasket on wrong and blocked an oil drain back hole?

Also, how have you determined it has no blow by?

mayco

Equipment
May 21, 2010
little compton ri usa
You said it was rebuilt, could someone have put the head gasket on wrong and blocked an oil drain back hole?

Also, how have you determined it has no blow by?
Did a comp ck all was good also no sign of presure at the oil cap or on the oil pan. and i have been a mechanic for 25 yrs. and have rebuilt all types of moters I had the oil filler cap off after running it for 1 hr.at 1900 rpm. and the oil was spraying out. The motor was rebuit by me and the head gasket can only go on 1 way to line up with the push rod and lifter holes. It's a 2 cly motor. It was a complete rebuild sleves pistons bearings ext. I used to rebuild oval track racing motors and when we put high pressure oil pumps in we would have to restrict the oil to the top of the motor or it would put too much oil in the valve covers. That's what is not making sence it is a stock oil pump. I did this post to see if anyone ever had this problem. Thanks for the comp back...:cool:

Allis180

Apr 13, 2011
Sunderland, MA, USA
I have the same issue with a b5100E The engine is completely rebuilt. It was taken apart by another mechanic I know to confirm everything is right. The oil at high rpm accumlates in the top of the engine until it starts to spill out the breather tube. Once you idle down the oil drains back to the pan. You can remove the fil cap and watch the level rise. Any ideas. Would the hydraulic pump seal being shot result in excess pressure building up in the crankcase. Anything would be helpful

golden321

Equipment
M5700, ZD-18
Mar 9, 2011
Shawnee, OK USA
Some motors have oil restrictors in them to limit the amount of oil that goes to the top end of the motor to prevent this very thing form happening. I know big block chevy's have this. If by chance your motor has this and it was left out during rebuild it could be what it causing your problem. Leave it out of big block and at higher RPM all the oil will get pumped up into the heads and some will go out the breather as well as starving the lower end. Jay

Allis180

Apr 13, 2011
Sunderland, MA, USA
We rebuilt the motor trying to solve the excess oil issue. The issue occured before ever being taken apart, so something happened that caused the operation to change and this issue develope.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
I would suggest that one or more of the oil return passages is plugged. Did you examine them closely when you rebuilt it? I'm not sure how many there are in that engine but some are pretty small and could plug --- take a close look. Rather than too much oil supplied to the top end, I would lean toward too little draining back to the pan.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I would suggest that one or more of the oil return passages is plugged. Did you examine them closely when you rebuilt it? I'm not sure how many there are in that engine but some are pretty small and could plug --- take a close look. Rather than too much oil supplied to the top end, I would lean toward too little draining back to the pan.
Ditto to that. More than likely that some sludge or something plugged a drain hole. Very rare that the oil supply to the top end is enough to fill the top end with oil to the point of overflowing.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
My only experience has been with a bad seal between the hydraulic pump and the engine where it mounts (shaft seal was shot, allowing hyd fluid into the case and overfilling it).

Is the motor oil level returning to the same mark on the dip stick after running and blowing oil out?

Dave

Allis180

Apr 13, 2011
Sunderland, MA, USA
The pressure in the crankcase is enough to not only push the oil up through the pushrod channels but will also push oil right out the dipstick tube. Squirts it out not a little drip. Something is causing too much pressure at higher rpms in the case. Can't run long enough to know if the oil level changes but I don;t think so. The transmission oil had gotten milky from water getting in so I think I would have noticed and did not. It certainly is not above the max oil level. I've run out of ideas. A bad pressue relief valve wonldn't cause it if that was an issue would it?

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
The pressure in the crankcase is enough to not only push the oil up through the pushrod channels but will also push oil right out the dipstick tube. Squirts it out not a little drip. Something is causing too much pressure at higher rpms in the case. Can't run long enough to know if the oil level changes but I don;t think so. The transmission oil had gotten milky from water getting in so I think I would have noticed and did not. It certainly is not above the max oil level. I've run out of ideas. A bad pressue relief valve wonldn't cause it if that was an issue would it?
Same thing was happening to the L295 I rebuilt....it was the seal on the hydraulic pump that had failed allowing hyd fluid to enter the motor and pressurize it - blowing it out the dip stick and out the breather tube on the valve cover.

Pic's of my rebuild are in my sig link!

Dave

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
As I recall the original poster said there was no crankcase pressure. I believe he has a drainage problem not a pressure problem.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I had oil coming out of the valve cover under pressure on an old L4150 I had some years ago. I was ready to tear down the engine but was saved when an old timer mechanic found that the oil vent tube was stopped up by a mud daubber nest. Cleaned it out and all my oil leaks disappeared. Hope this helps.