Tires tearing up the lawn, go wider?

wickwack024

Equipment
1985 Kubota L355ss, L1720 Loader, Woods RM600 72" finish mower
Jun 24, 2023
Western New York
I'm just getting used to my first real tractor 1985 L355ss w/ L1720 FEL. I have 13.6 - 24 Ag tires on the back, iv noticed that Ive been tearing up my lawn A little more than I'd like to. I don't go out after rain. My property is on a big incline so traction is important. I was wondering if there would be any complications if I went wider than 13.6

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I'm just getting used to my first real tractor 1985 L355ss w/ L1720 FEL. I have 13.6 - 24 Ag tires on the back, iv noticed that Ive been tearing up my lawn A little more than I'd like to. I don't go out after rain. My property is on a big incline so traction is important. I was wondering if there would be any complications if I went wider than 13.6
You will need new wheels, but there are several tire design options that are less rough on the lawn than the R1s you have.

Reactions: 1 user

wickwack024

Equipment
1985 Kubota L355ss, L1720 Loader, Woods RM600 72" finish mower
Jun 24, 2023
Western New York
You will need new wheels, but there are several tire design options that are less rough on the lawn than the R1s you have.
So if I have a few inches of clearance in my wheel wells, I could go slightly bigger if I found the right tires and rims? Would I have to do anything else to install them? What are some tread patterns that are less destructive as you suggested? Also thank you for your reply.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Perhaps you need to adjust the tire pressure which may lessen the damage to the lawn. I have had several different tractors across different lawns without damage unless I spin the tires tryin to scoop up some dirt or the like or pulling out a bush. Low speed and slight curves will help to minimize the marks in the yard.

I grew up in SE Ohio with a lot of hills. R1 tires are the norm for lawn tractors. With turf tires you spin the tires. On our Wheel Horse lawn tractor I ran chains all year round to prevent damage in the yard.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So if I have a few inches of clearance in my wheel wells, I could go slightly bigger if I found the right tires and rims? Would I have to do anything else to install them? What are some tread patterns that are less destructive as you suggested? Also thank you for your reply.
R4, R14 and turf tires are all easier on the lawn than the R1s that you have. But they won’t fit on those R1 wheels, so you’ll need to buy new ones. Not really a cheap change over. Also, don’t use 4wd on the lawn.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If the tearing is due to 'tight turning on corners', rework the 'mowing pattern' for less tight turns
I learned the 'trick' to plan ahead when JEEP had 'armstrong' plow angling.

Hyperborean

Equipment
L3902, LP FM2560, EA WRG 55, Split-Fire 3403, Wallenstein BXM42, and more
Apr 26, 2023
Texas
You'll want R3 (aka Turf) tires on the tractor for not tearing up the lawn grass but will most likely require getting new wheels also but you should confirm that. Those tires have the least amount of traction in the mud and such. R4 is a little more aggressive tread to give better traction in mud but won't do damage to lawn grass R1s but more than R3.
TractorTireTypes-R1-R3-R4.png

tractor-tire-types.jpg

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I have R4s on mine and use it every week with a finish mower. They seem to do little damage as long I run in 2wheel drive and not take to sharp of turns.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I wonder why the ruts / marks? Is it because so much traction necessary the tires need to grab? Operation in 4WD and turning? I don’t have ag tires, but in some cases I wish I did. To me the question to the OP is regarding the traction they need. The reason I say that is I have a 2 hilly properties and if you need the traction for the hills I’d be cautious to swap tires to something less aggressive unless sure you do not need the traction. In some cases my R4s can leave marks, but I also need the traction. Depending on all the OP uses (I did not see mentioned I guess I wonder OP doing(match tires to the work) and is less traction helpful vs marking up the lawn). Anyway my thought is be cautious to give up traction on a hilly property.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree with R14s or (Turfs, R3s, or similar). Fwiw, R14s will swap out with some R1s and R4s. I would check with a tire reseller if you have the type that can swap.

Also, if your tires are loaded, that might be making some difference. R1s are the worst possible for a yard.

I stay out of my yard/fields when it's wet or snowing unless there is something that really has to be done right then. I think that's a good idea no matter what type of tires you have.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
R1's will mark nice grass up no matter how careful you are. Going wider probably isn't going to give you results you're hoping for. That's the nature of the beast for cleated tires.
I've had great results with the multi-trac turf design. My sandmound has around a 15 degree grade to it. As long as the grass is dry, it will crawl up that grade (in 4x4). and not damage the grass. The same goes for descending.