Tires for my L1500

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
I am looking to replace my rice tires with turf tires what size rims do I need to buy to change over to the turf Tires. Also what if I find rims for the L175 is the bolt pattern the same as with the L1500 with the rice tries. If I go to the dealer and tell them I need rims for a L175 are they going to ask the year or will they just sell them to me. Another question about the PTO is it live, do I need to get one of those clutch over run deals like my old Ford 2n had? If so what size do I need to get. I know its a lot of questions but I've been trying to find the info myself but have had no luck. Thanks
Mike

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Is this tractor two wheel drive or four wheel drive? If it's four wheel drive you're looking at changing all four tires and rims. Do you have a standard transmission or HST? If it's standard you should get an over run clutch. Normally they're just a six spline PTO extension thing. Check your driveshaft length, you need a little bit of free play so it can slide in an out with vertical movement across the field.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
You don't have live PTO. The over running clutch is the standard size 540 PTO. If there is a pertinent serial number break the dealer will ask for the serial number. I always tell them that I don't have it on me and that it's before the break . There is no HST variant of the L1500.

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
Is this tractor two wheel drive or four wheel drive? If it's four wheel drive you're looking at changing all four tires and rims. Do you have a standard transmission or HST? If it's standard you should get an over run clutch. Normally they're just a six spline PTO extension thing. Check your driveshaft length, you need a little bit of free play so it can slide in an out with vertical movement across the field.
The tractor is 2 wheel drive. I am guessing it is a manual but it has a throttle pedal that can be used or a lever. Not sure if that would be considered HST or not.
Thanks

Mike H

Equipment
L1500
May 19, 2020
Andersonville
You don't have live PTO. The over running clutch is the standard size 540 PTO. If there is a pertinent serial number break the dealer will ask for the serial number. I always tell them that I don't have it on me and that it's before the break . There is no HST variant of the L1500.
Thanks for the information. Just one more question at 17hp will this be able to use a 4ft brush hog for small stuff (1in to 2 in diam)
thanks again

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Thanks for the information. Just one more question at 17hp will this be able to use a 4ft brush hog for small stuff (1in to 2 in diam)
thanks again
I have one on mine. It's a King Kutter with dull blades. I could run it faster with more hp. When I was clearing my lot I avoided anything bigger than an inch and a half on the first pass then took half passes to finish . That was with a lot of spindly buckthorn up to 8feet tall. Now that it's just weeds and saplings less than waist high on rough ground with a little slope I can go about as fast as I care to.
The front is pretty light when you lift the tail wheel and the front wheels just skid if you turn it more than half way to the lock. It's a sketchy steering in high range. I actually like it on my building site though. It's like having power steering and if you're comfortable steering with the brakes it will pivot right around the inside wheel.
Before I bought the brush mower I I started a thread asking about weight on the front. I think that the lightest that anyone was running was 150 lbs on the front. If you were to road it I think you'd want North of 200 lbs on the front . If you can just putt around and can steer with the brakes you can get by without front weights as long as your brand isn't a lot heavier than my King Kutter.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The accepted rule of thumb is five PTO horsepower per foot of mower width. You're a bit under that but in my experience that's a conservative estimate of power required. You should be okay, though you may have to slow down in places. If you don't have a front loader you may have to add weight to the front end.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It isn't the optimal amount of power for that implement but the track width is 48 inches and it might get a little wider if you go to turfs . There's enough torque to get it spinning and enough lift to get it off the ground. Weight on the front is iffy but can be fixed. To me having to shift down and steer with brakes is a solid trade off for being able to mow to the tracks. If you're buying used 4 foot is as small as you can easily find.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
I am looking to replace my rice tires with turf tires what size rims do I need to buy to change over to the turf Tires. Also what if I find rims for the L175 is the bolt pattern the same as with the L1500 with the rice tries.
If you are going to go with turf tires I would look for a 15" 16" or 17" rim because that will give you the widest range of choice for tires for the rear, You indicate the machine is not 4wd so if the rear tires are slightly smaller or larger diameter it will not matter, with a 15" or 16" rim you can choose an automotive tire or a Light Truck tire and you can choose between basic street tread tires to snow tires to all terrain.
I believe the 8.3/8-22 on your tractor is apx 37" tall so you will need a 15" ,16" or 17" rim tire that is close to that height, A quick search shows a number of different tires in those rims sizes that are available in 37" height

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
thanks again
Hi, yes that tractor WILL pull a 5ft brush hog, we have worn out 4 of them with our 1500, but we finally scaled back to a 4', but we could run that thing all day long, 8 full hrs with a 5 ft on the back and only use 1 tank, (5 gal) of fuel.

If you have not found tires and wheels yet let me know and I will post the info on where we got ours, DT model, I have already post all kinds of info for the L1500DT on here so search for it.

Cheers
Samantha

Cbo408

Equipment
Kubota L1500
Mar 21, 2023
Hollister California
I am looking to replace my rice tires with turf tires what size rims do I need to buy to change over to the turf Tires. Also what if I find rims for the L175 is the bolt pattern the same as with the L1500 with the rice tries. If I go to the dealer and tell them I need rims for a L175 are they going to ask the year or will they just sell them to me. Another question about the PTO is it live, do I need to get one of those clutch over run deals like my old Ford 2n had? If so what size do I need to get. I know its a lot of questions but I've been trying to find the info myself but have had no luck. Thanks
Mike
Did you get this taken car off? Mine has turf tires that I want to get rid of and out ag r1 style tires. The size is 13.6-16

Attachments