Tire Valve Stems

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I'm thinking about replacing my rubber valve stems with metal. After a little research, it seems there are many types and it is not a simple matter of 'one size fits all'. Anyone know what specs I need to follow? Going on my little BX25D
BTW, I looked and did not see what diameter hole or rim thickness I have. I saw pricing from $5 each to $25!!!!

Last edited:

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Had the rubber stems replace with metal when loading with rimguard/beet juice. Had my local tire dealer do it. Didn't think there is alot of different sizes. Not much help.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I got these on Amazon:

I replaced the stem assy in the tire that was leaking. The leak was tiny, a thread of near invisible bubbles rose from the old stem.
Job was easy. A few boards on the cement shop floor to protect the floor and the rim. removed the valve core, a large clamp to squeeze the bead away from the rim and a few wallops from a rubber mallet and the bead was unseated. I carefully cut the rubber valve stem right at the rim and removed it. New stem in, nut cinched.
I put exactly 20 PSI in and will wait a few days, assuming it holds (and I am 99.9999% confident) I will probably change out the stem on the other front wheel.
The wheels/tires on the BX so small that the stems are somewhat exposed to logs/sticks/rocks and I suspect this is a good 'prophylactic fix' that anyone should do especially with tiny tires and an exposed valve stem.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I got some more stems and replaced them all with metal. Man I wish I had a bead breaker. I should of just sucked it up and gone to a tire shop. But... it was the challenge. I did the Kubota tires and my garden tractor tires. Five hours!!!
One of the Kubota wheels had exterior rust on the inside of the rim. I sanded the rust away, feathered the edge, got out my can of Kubota orange and... nothing. Valve clogged. So I sprayed the now clean bare metal with some clear lacquer. No biggie, you cannot see the area as it is inside near the bevel housing.
So I put this wheel on. Mind you I am a tad tired. I'm thinking... 'Huh, I do not recall the rust spot being on the out side...' Dumb me, put the wheel on in side out!!!! Drive out of the garage and discover the instant flat. The new valve stem got snapped off!!!
So wheel off, 40 minutes fighting the bead, new valve in, aired up and put the wheel back on, valve side out. "Green side up fellas, green side up..."