Tire Mystery??

OH_FARMER

Equipment
B7300hst L5740hst
Nov 24, 2010
Southeast OH
Figure this one out...I ran over a 3/4" survey pin while bush hogging with my
L5030HST last week. It punched a large hole in the left front tire. I went to the local tire shop to see if they could fix it. They put a tube in it and said I better start looking for a tire. They couldn't locate a tire in any warehouse and suggested the Kubota dealer. I stopped and got some info. The tire (9.50-16 R1) from the dealer was over $400 each. After checking further he said he could order the tire and wheel for $264 each.
Anyone else had this experience??

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Several years ago we had an old school local tire guy that was set up to handle commercial tires. He could vulcanize large holes in tires. Not for hiway use but for off road vehicles. Especially tractors tires. Do you have any full service commercial tire shops in your area. It might not hurt to ask around if there is anybody that still does vulcanizing.

As far as the tire/wheel prices go. At one time I was thinking of getting an extra set of rims and tires for a L4330 I use to have. I wanted a set of A1's for some field work. I could get all 4 rims and tires for just over $1500. That's tires and rims. The dealer said it had something to do with the R1 tires where and option and Kubota's price to the dealers where a lot better than if they had to just order a tire. It didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I took him for his word.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
find out how much just the wheel is (wholesale price), buy the set, return the wheel to the dealer for 10% less than wholesale, and everybody profits

OH_FARMER

Equipment
B7300hst L5740hst
Nov 24, 2010
Southeast OH
I will continue to look around for a tire. I am back in operation right now and can get by. I have looked online to see what I could find. I guess Goodyear no longer makes ag tires. All 9.5-16's are Titan or Carlisle in 6ply.

Thanks for all the input

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Vic, thanks for the tire repairing tip. That's great! I'll have to remember that one because things like "holes in tires" only seem to happen on weekends when all the repair places are closed!

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
The tire/wheel combo are through Kubota Wholesale (KW for short). The tire is from the warehouse through Kubota parts.

KW is how I went from turfs to R1s on my B7300. My dealer had a set of the KW front tire/wheels in stock on which he gave me a pretty big discount. We then ordered the rears through KW. I got all four wheels and tires for not much more than the 2 front turf tires would have been through parts.

BTW, most dealers aren't set up so the parts department can look up KW, you have to talk to a salesman. Seems kinda strange but that's the way both of my local dealers are set up.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Oh Farmer, don't be afraid of Titan tires. They have been around since 1898 and a few years back Goodyear bought them out to be their off road tire manufacturing division. Lots of new tractors have Titan tires as OEM.

OH_FARMER

Equipment
B7300hst L5740hst
Nov 24, 2010
Southeast OH
You are right. Titan has been around for a long time and they look like a good tire. It kind of surprised me that Goodyear no longer produced an ag tire.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have Firestones, Bridgestones and Titans. Hands down I would go with the Titans over any of the others. They perform much better off road and the wear is 2 to 1 better in favor of the Titan. On my last new tractor I told the dealer if it didn't have Titans on it I wouldn't take it.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass