tire dilemma

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
We have the r4 industrial tires on our L3901 tractor and it looks like we need to chain the rear tires due to all four wheels spinning on hard snow and ice while plowing snow. We haven't had the tractor in the woods yet but I am speculating that we will have the same results. The problem is in order to chain the r4's we need to buy a wheel spacer kit to accommodate the chains. The cost of the spacer kit and chains would be about $1400 before taxes. My thought was to buy 4 r1 ag tires in which we can use the ice chains we already have off our 885 david brown which are nearly new, this would cost us a little more but would have a set of tires for winter and summer. I think the safety gained by chains for control is paramount and could save damage to the tractor and us in the event of a crash into a tree or a parked vehicle ( my wife's new van lol) in my yard as my drive is quite steep. thanks in advance for your input.
Jamie

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
We have the r4 industrial tires on our L3901 tractor and it looks like we need to chain the rear tires due to all four wheels spinning on hard snow and ice while plowing snow. We haven't had the tractor in the woods yet but I am speculating that we will have the same results. The problem is in order to chain the r4's we need to buy a wheel spacer kit to accommodate the chains. The cost of the spacer kit and chains would be about $1400 before taxes. My thought was to buy 4 r1 ag tires in which we can use the ice chains we already have off our 885 david brown which are nearly new, this would cost us a little more but would have a set of tires for winter and summer. I think the safety gained by chains for control is paramount and could save damage to the tractor and us in the event of a crash into a tree or a parked vehicle ( my wife's new van lol) in my yard as my drive is quite steep. thanks in advance for your input.
Jamie
NS.....

this topic has been ...well .....discussed .....and realllllyyy discussed! :):D

1st - I cannot believe that spacers and chains will cost THAT much ! wow!
I bought spacers from by BX - 2.5" like $225 .....worth every cent , every damn penny! Now mine spacers would not even go on your tractors front end !:D:eek::D...but still....

here is one place :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-L-Se...18b25e9&pid=100011&rk=3&rkt=7&sd=121100124984

and ONE set of chains should not be thatttttt $$$$$$$$$ - unless your are getting the ones that have the barbs and double loops and all that good stuff - and are gold plated:D.

2nd - even IF you sold your other tires/rims....the cost of the NEW tires/rims will get wayyyyyy up there fast - I would bet that from Kubota - the cost would exceed $1400.........

I would get YOUR current tires LOADED - I bet if you load your present tires - you will add (swag) at least 400# plus to the weight! AND this benefit last forever !:)

IF you do not want to spend the money on spacers........and chains..

GO with tire spikes......now they aint coming back out, but on ice and snow - make a hellva grip!

Recalculate - and do your research ..........my bx has R4 - aint never been stuck and yes I have had all four spinning.........use your diffy lock and go slow and the wife's van will be ......scratch/dent free!:):D:)

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just an update, I priced up a set of studded tire chains and rear wheel spacers 1350.00+hst. Picked up the chains yesterday afternoon and the spacers should be in on Friday. The extra set of tires and rims would have been 1800+ballast loading and than to find room to store 1 set all the time. the chains are a brand Trygg studded from Norway, they look just like the Norse studded chains we have for our David Brown. Thanks for the replies.