Tiny toolbox for tiny tractor

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Having an older BX23 scut doesn't give you a lot of options for toolbox location, seeing as the tractor is so small. This is where the toolbox seemed to fit the best. It does not stick out from the tractor very much, is portable, or totally removable.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
What is the big square button thingy just below joystick...Emergency Stop...flip lid for launch control key lock?

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
That is actually a hinged cover for a set of 4 switches that control the led lights on the ROPs, the snowblower chute rotation, and chute deflector.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I want that tool box carrier, wingnut! Really nice. Got any extra parts? :) A fishing tackle box would fit great.

Tractor Gal

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I want that tool box carrier, wingnut! Really nice. Got any extra parts? :) A fishing tackle box would fit great.

Tractor Gal
Try something like what I did. I bolted a 30 cal ammo can on the tractor deck. See that green ammo can just forward of the foot brake? There is one ammo can at the same position on each side of the deck. If you are interested I will take a better picture showing how it is mounted.
20200404_125906.jpg

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Try something like what I did. I bolted a 30 cal ammo can on the tractor deck. See that green ammo can just forward of the foot brake? There is one ammo can at the same position on each side of the deck. If you are interested I will take a better picture showing how it is mounted. View attachment 60963
Yes, armylifer, I'd like to see a closer picture. I don't think there is that much room at the side of my BX23 but I'd like to see what you did. After I see what are the dimensions of the proposed box, I might get some ideas. Thanks for offering.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Yes, armylifer, I'd like to see a closer picture. I don't think there is that much room at the side of my BX23 but I'd like to see what you did. After I see what are the dimensions of the proposed box, I might get some ideas. Thanks for offering.
The top of the box measures 10.75" x 3.75". The body of the box is roughly 10.5" x 3.5". These are known as 30 caliber ammo cans. They are made of metal and are sold at most Army surplus stores. The hard plastic ammo cans sold at many sporting goods stores are not the same. They are typically too big for this mounting position.

There is one existing hole in the deck of your tractor that is square, on each side of the deck, if I remember correctly. I used that hole and drilled one extra hole in the deck to mount these boxes. I used locking nuts and fender washers to mount them.

Make sure that you mount the boxes with enough distance away from the engine cowling to allow the tops of the boxes to stay open and not close on your hand when you are putting things in or out of the boxes.

These boxes do not interfere with where you put your foot on either side of the deck. Depending on which tractor you have, the brake pedal may be on the left side and that may interfere with placement of the box. The brake and treadle pedal on mine is on the right side of the deck and the box does not interfere with either one of those pedals.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

20210604_182700.jpg
20210604_182420.jpg
20210604_182229.jpg
20210604_182328.jpg

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
The top of the box measures 10.75" x 3.75". The body of the box is roughly 10.5" x 3.5". These are known as 30 caliber ammo cans. They are made of metal and are sold at most Army surplus stores. The hard plastic ammo cans sold at many sporting goods stores are not the same. They are typically too big for this mounting position.

There is one existing hole in the deck of your tractor that is square, on each side of the deck, if I remember correctly. I used that hole and drilled one extra hole in the deck to mount these boxes. I used locking nuts and fender washers to mount them.

Make sure that you mount the boxes with enough distance away from the engine cowling to allow the tops of the boxes to stay open and not close on your hand when you are putting things in or out of the boxes.

These boxes do not interfere with where you put your foot on either side of the deck. Depending on which tractor you have, the brake pedal may be on the left side and that may interfere with placement of the box. The brake and treadle pedal on mine is on the right side of the deck and the box does not interfere with either one of those pedals.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

View attachment 61022 View attachment 61023 View attachment 61024 View attachment 61025
Now I see, armylifer. The other picture looked as though it was mounted vertically against the actual tractor frame. I'll look at the tractor more closely at that spot today. Thanks for taking time for the pictures and the info!

TG

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Very nicely done. Too bad those locations would not work on mine, as they are already in use for other things like a chain carrier, tool carrier, chainsaw carrier etc. Your toolbox location is probably handier than mine, as well as holding more stuff. Can't ever carry enough stuff.