timing marks

hilljred2

Jan 20, 2013
Hawk Point, MO
have a bad rod bearing on a tg 1860 diesel ryder need to remove the crank shaft what is the procedure fo getting all of the timing marks on the gear trane back in the correct timing? i can turn crank shaft and not get the timing marks to ever come into proper registure before removing the crank. i ran the engine before tare down.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
have a bad rod bearing on a tg 1860 diesel ryder need to remove the crank shaft what is the procedure fo getting all of the timing marks on the gear trane back in the correct timing? i can turn crank shaft and not get the timing marks to ever come into proper registure before removing the crank. i ran the engine before tare down.
If its the crank or rod bearrings siezed?
can you not back off the cap nuts untill the crank will turn enough to line up the marks.
Dave
Edit: I must find my specs,I thought you wrote Can't turn the crank

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Turn the engine until the marks on the crank gear ,the camshaft gear and the inj. pump gear all are towards the center idler gear. remove the idler gear and turn it until it will go on with the marks lined up. Because the center Idler is not an even ratio with any of the other gears it will take forever to turn the engine until they all line up! I guess they probably eventually would though.
Ed

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yep. As long as the marks are aligned at the same time when you put it back together you're good. I tried to turn it a bit to install the valve cam after cranking it to prime the oil pump. Gave up after about 20 revolutions and removed the idler. That's how the Z750 on my L175 works anyway, as well as the other engines in my book.