Time for tractor!?

K7G

Equipment
L2501HST, LA526 w/ L2248, BB1260, RCR1860, EA Disc Harrow
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Sounds like good choices, and it'll be a great machine. I think the L is more stout than competing models at a similar price point, sounds like that's what you felt sitting on it. The JD 3 series I think is more comparable to the LX machines.

72 months 0% sounds good. Perhaps if you stay well under budget the wife won't have to find a job....that'd make the home front much happier.
I absolutely appreciate the thoughts but MrsK7 is wired differently. Her first name is Work, her middle name is For and her last name is Pay. She wants to work another 2 or 3 years.

She gave up her career, family and friends to marry me & start over in the US some 20 years ago. It hasn’t been easy but she’s succeeded and therefore, I’ll support her efforts until she decides it’s time! It’s coming, she’s almost ready to retire….just not quite yet.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I
I absolutely appreciate the thoughts but MrsK7 is wired differently. Her first name is Work, her middle name is For and her last name is Pay. She wants to work another 2 or 3 years.

She gave up her career, family and friends to marry me & start over in the US some 20 years ago. It hasn’t been easy but she’s succeeded and therefore, I’ll support her efforts until she decides it’s time! It’s coming, she’s almost ready to retire….just not quite yet.
I’ve encouraged my spouse to continue working well past me…I just assume I’ll need some walking around cash for implements and I suspect she wants me to have nice ones even though she ‘acts’ like I don’t need them. 😉. Maybe you will have better luck than I have with that line. It’s not working over here, that’s for sure. 🥃

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
I

I’ve encouraged my spouse to continue working well past me…I just assume I’ll need some walking around cash for implements and I suspect she wants me to have nice ones even though she ‘acts’ like I don’t need them. 😉. Maybe you will have better luck than I have with that line. It’s not working over here, that’s for sure. 🥃
My problem is I can’t get her to buy hardly anything for herself. Many men would kill for that.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My problem is I can’t get her to buy hardly anything for herself. Many men would kill for that.
Yup. My better half stopped working before me. Declared one day she was done. I said "what about me" and she said "you can stop working too if you want." Small things like funding our lifestyle not all that important apparently.

Drinking money is important, and once you're at a point where you theoretically could stop working, working becomes more rewarding:
1. All the money you earn can be spent - because you don't need to save any more, and just by earning money you're avoiding dipping into those savings
2. When you're doing stuff you don't like, you can always think "I don't have to do this if I don't want to." That got me through many situations I didn't enjoy - knowing I had a choice made it OK
3. Actually, it's nice to get out of the house and see people. When I'm not working (I'm working about 50% of the time) I can go a week without leaving the property, and seeing almost nobody other than the missus. That's not really healthy

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks all.

I’ve had several calls with the dealer today looking at various options and opted for the L2501, loader, RCR1560 and a box blade. With the rebate on the second implement, the box blade net price was $300. A land plane would have been nice but it pushed me over my intended budget . My friends have plenty of other rear implements including the planes/graders and make it clear that I’m welcome to them anytime.

72 months at 0%, healthy rebates, a better price than the local guys and I don’t have to dig into our cash to pay for it. All things considered, I feel good about everything especially being retired with a wife that’s looking for a job. We lived such a conservative lifestyle to get to this point and now, we can enjoy a few nice things.

Again, appreciate everyone’s advice!
Good for you!

You're gonna love that 2501, I do.

I would seriously consider forks though....They might be the the "best/most useful" attachment there is.

Reactions: 2 users

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Yup. My better half stopped working before me. Declared one day she was done. I said "what about me" and she said "you can stop working too if you want." Small things like funding our lifestyle not all that important apparently.

Drinking money is important, and once you're at a point where you theoretically could stop working, working becomes more rewarding:
1. All the money you earn can be spent - because you don't need to save any more, and just by earning money you're avoiding dipping into those savings
2. When you're doing stuff you don't like, you can always think "I don't have to do this if I don't want to." That got me through many situations I didn't enjoy - knowing I had a choice made it OK
3. Actually, it's nice to get out of the house and see people. When I'm not working (I'm working about 50% of the time) I can go a week without leaving the property, and seeing almost nobody other than the missus. That's not really healthy
1. It’s quite an adjustment to go from saver to spender. I’m told that I excel in this category. Actually, our budget allows for X in discretionary and unplanned spending each month and tracks with the credit card cycle. Last month we had .4X left and we’re tracking about the same this month.

2. People always ask, “What does Gerry do all day?” Many days, there are no plans but, having built a new home on 10 acres, there’s always something to do. My typical response is lighter: “I do what I want, when I want for as long as I want….with my wife’s permission.” That’s not too far from the truth. I enjoy being outdoors but, doing stuff manually with a rake, a shovel, a weed wicker, a backpack sprayer, etc takes its toll hence, the tractor.

3. Socialization as you age is hugely important. “Mind games” impact us more than we realize otherwise. Church, being in the south, has played a role in introducing us to new people, being a volunteer fireman does also. One of our wealthy neighbors has huge gatherings for the locals two or three times a year. Potluck supper although they typically provide the proteins. We have a potluck on Sunday for the volunteer firefighters also. We have more time to join others for dinner. We’re been to others‘ homes for lunch or dinner more in the last 18 months than the last 18 years. We may live rural but we’re more social now.

Reactions: 1 users

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
All my vehicles are manual (motorbike, DD cars, classic car) but I prefer the HST on the tractors.

I say buy the biggest tractor that you can afford -and- fit between your door frame !

Good luck !

(pix or it didn't happen) ;-)
Arrived today. Again, thanks for everyone’s input.

IMG_6307.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Congratulations! A new tractor, a thing of beauty.

Reactions: 1 user

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Back in June, I joined the forum looking for advice for a tractor. The L2501HST is perfect for my needs.

One of needs is cutting the brush that’s surrounds our house. When I retired, the plan was to have a small lawn surrounding the house but, I wanted the area under the trees to be open. Spraying glyphosate didn’t seem to be a good option- it strips all the vegetation and rain erosion was the result.

Enter the rotary cutter. This was taken at 6:30 this morning, just before I began cutting.

IMG_6497.jpeg

At 6:53, I was deep into it, watching for stumps, lots and lots of stumps, slow going.

IMG_6498.jpeg

Not finished, the portion to the east needs more work but I’ll do that tomorrow or Thursday morning.

IMG_6499.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
She NEEDS a new Mercedes!

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
She NEEDS a new Mercedes!
We support her mom 100% financially. Her mom is 87 and has outkicked her coverage in Brazil by years. Until her mom passes, she wouldn’t accept one even if I parked it in the driveway. She also hates big surprises!