Tiller use question

timma11

Equipment
bx23s
Mar 8, 2022
ma
Hello, Thanks for having me, first post. I am toying with the idea of getting a tiller for my bx23s to till my garden and was wondering if it could do more. Can they be used to chew up pricker bushes, small vegatation, small roots and the like? I actually have more use for it to chew stuff up than till so if it could do both, that would be great.
Thanks

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
absolutely!

can till garden as well as roughing up the ground around newly planted tree lines, etc... if your budget allows consider a counter rotating tiller so you can reverse the tine rotation. One way helps you dig deep while changing rotating lets you "scuff up" the top ground more easily.

youtube search counter rotating tiller if you have the time.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Vegetation will often wrap up in the tiller if it's too long.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you are going to do a food plot or a garden, run the MMM all the way up and make a few passes where you want to till,, once that is done set your tiller onthe ground and fire up the PTO and let it drop down about an inch or so,, this does several things, it chops up stuff and starts to level out the ground, second pass low range 4WD and go SLOW there are rocks and roots in there and you want to kick them out and not jam inthe tiller,, and on each pass go a little deeper untill she is all the way in. and make several passes back and forth then side to side, and this is of course on ground thats never been tilled before. And yes the more you work/play you are going to find out that BX is a beast for its size. And as always look things over and think about what you are going to do, sit and then think about it again and do it SLOWLY. And the most important thing is to enjoy it

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
tillers are GREAT at making compost for the veggie gardens very quickly !!!!

Using a tiller to turn 'sod' into 'garden soil' is extremely hard on the tiller and tractor. If possible PLOW and DISC the field first. Consider the tiller to be the FINAL prep before planting, not the first.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Spr
tillers are GREAT at making compost for the veggie gardens very quickly !!!!

Using a tiller to turn 'sod' into 'garden soil' is extremely hard on the tiller and tractor. If possible PLOW and DISC the field first. Consider the tiller to be the FINAL prep before planting, not the first.
Easy way!
Spray with Roundup three or more weeks before tilling!

Reactions: 1 users