Tiller or disc harrow

rgOO6

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT
Sep 12, 2021
Villa Rica, GA
Quick question for the disc harrow guys. Is there a benefit to buying a more expensive one? I see prices kind of all over the place. I am leaning towards one that is adjustable, but not sure if the extra money is actually worth it. Anybody have any experience comparing a nice expensive disc verses a cheaper fixed angle model?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bought a tandem set of F-B discs 18 years ago, old, adjustable and once the discs were shined up ,cut GREAT. I see no 'value' in buying new, Adjustable is nice though. You can set them for the type of ground you have and HP of the tractor. Every fall, I'd hand toss winter rye into the veggie patch, then run ONCE through it with disc set straight. Result was a field that looked like it'd been 'drilled'.
Sold the discs after I'd incorporated a LOT of compost and stuff into the soil.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Manitoba isnt that pretty much peatbog and muskeg to start with ?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
That's correct. I make no excuses for eating grocery store food, but we are walking by the vegetable department for most of the year because our veg needs are sitting in our cellar or freezer, from our non-machine-tilled for 15 years and very highly productive garden which is still producing food now.......
You completely missed my point.

Your small garden is < (less than) tens of millions of productive farm land acres.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
No opinion on roto versus disc, but you have to watch for flawed studies in magazines. I have been reading that US farmers were on the verge of losing all of their productive soil since the early 70s. Similarly, I have read since the 70s that we running out of: food, water, oil, clean air, ozone, land, forests and etc. These Malthusian predictions never come true, and they never seem to stop. We are always 10 years away from catastrophe. Yet, the people of the US and the world keep getting richer and having better lives.

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Quick question for the disc harrow guys. Is there a benefit to buying a more expensive one? I see prices kind of all over the place. I am leaning towards one that is adjustable, but not sure if the extra money is actually worth it. Anybody have any experience comparing a nice expensive disc verses a cheaper fixed angle model?
I just bought this one. Works fine and well built. I wish it was heavier though.

https://www.everythingattachments.com/Angle-Iron-Compact-Tractor-Disc-Harrow-66-78-p/eta-xdai-dh.htm

Here it is in action.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Once a year on a 1/2 acre or acres and acres a year?

Weight, Disc Size, Bearings and wear item availability.

Personally I have never adjusted my angle, only weight. I add weight when I want a more aggressive cut.

Your soil/vegetation conditions will be the main factor for what works best.