Tiller for L3901

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Have been looking and considering landpride reverse tiller for my 3901. Anyone have suggestions or experience? Primarily gardening and preparing ground around house for seed.Comments would be appreciated

Thanks

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I have a LP forward tiller that works very well. I didn't go with the reverse model only because of large rocks. I was told that they can really mess things up when hitting big rocks.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Thanks for posting. I may opt for reverse cause no rocks here, fortunate to have good soil. Pleased to hear good report on forward rotation.

We were in SEA nearly same time

Thanks again

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Just noted your tiller 5ft, suppose it covers reel wheels fine. I just purchased L 3901 and lov'n it. Gotta remeasure, believe 55 inches wide, if so 5ft should work great, thanks

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Just noted your tiller 5ft, suppose it covers reel wheels fine. I just purchased L 3901 and lov'n it. Gotta remeasure, believe 55 inches wide, if so 5ft should work great, thanks
Yes it does otherwise I would have got a 6'.

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
I am running a Bush Hog RTG60 on a L2501. I went with a forward rotating tiller as I always found forward rotating walk behind tillers more useful. You can lower the back shield on my tiller and force it to churn and pulverize you soil. You can let the back shield up and let it scatter your soil. I find this useful for trying to level groud. I prepped a yard yesterday for seeding. I ran north/south and east/west. On my final pass I let the shield down and did not go as deep. It pulverized the soil. The yard only needed some minor smoothing with a landscape rake.

Reverse tines are great for deep tilling. I find the forward rotating tines much more flexible. Forward rotating walk behind tillers do have a nasty habit of lurching forward when you till too deep to soon or hit a rock. This is eliminated with a tractor powered tiller.

Even if you do not have rocky soil, large roots can get hung up in your tiller. I have had this happen once with the forward tine tiller. For the most part rocks and roots are just kicked out the back.

Last edited:

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
When I get the funds a reverse tine tiller will probably be my next purchase in a 5ft model for my L2501. Main use will be for prepping garden area and food plots. But I still wonder for my use should I get a forward tine tiller. I have a walk behind Husq, early garden season I use it in reverse for prepping. Later on in garden season I use it in forward for breaking up soil and weeds.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I am running a Bush Hog RTG60 on a L2501. I went with a forward rotating tiller as I always found forward rotating walk behind tillers more useful. You can lower the back shield on my tiller and force it to churn and pulverize you soil. You can let the back shield up and let it scatter your soil. I find this useful for trying to level groud. I prepped a yard yesterday for seeding. I ran north/south and east/west. On my final pass I let the shield down and did not go as deep. It pulverized the soil. The yard only needed some minor smoothing with a landscape rake.

Reverse tines are great for deep tilling. I find the forward rotating tines much more flexible. Forward rotating walk behind tillers do have a nasty habit of lurching forward when you till too deep to soon or hit a rock. This is eliminated with a tractor powered tiller.

Even if you do not have rocky soil, large roots can get hung up in your tiller. I have had this happen once with the forward tine tiller. For the most part rocks and roots are just kicked out the back.
Excellent post, thanks. Many good points.

I just worked the garden this am with forward turn engine powered rear tine. Worked great. Yes, it will surge, but three pt ought to eliminate that.

I will not dismiss fwd tine, another earlier post has good service with them and my ground is excellent.

Thanks....

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
When I get the funds a reverse tine tiller will probably be my next purchase in a 5ft model for my L2501. Main use will be for prepping garden area and food plots. But I still wonder for my use should I get a forward tine tiller. I have a walk behind Husq, early garden season I use it in reverse for prepping. Later on in garden season I use it in forward for breaking up soil and weeds.

I to garden, but i have so much uneven spots and divets i am thinking of tilling it up and running a rake or drag harrow over it. Walk behind tiller works good, but the area i need to do is quite large. Thanks for posting

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Earlier this spring I got a 6' forward tine tiller from TSC for my L3560 (28 PTO HP). I'm up north of you in Michigan and probably have similar soil to you except I am getting far enough north that I get a fair amount of field stones (which is why I went with forward tines). Since our soils are not to hard (not a lot of clay around here) the forward tine worked great. I tilled up a couple acres pretty easily, and reseeded with grass. I was a little worried going with a 6', but it turned out to be no problem... so your 5' should be no issue at all. Midwestern soil tends to be easier to till, which is why the 6' was not an issue for me. I wonder if it would have been a bigger issue in areas with a lot of hard packed clay (I am sure it would be a lot harder on it).