Tiller and Flair RPM

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
I purchased an old tiller and flail mower. The tiller is a Kubota FL1000 and the flail mower is a Vemco which has Kubota stickers on it. An original owner traded in his mid 80s Kubota and these came with it. I am now running these on my BX1860 and I am wondering at what RPM the tiller tines and flail blades should spin at. I see that some older Kubotas had PTO speeds of 540/750/1000 and I am wondering if maybe these implements were originally meant for higher RPM PTOs.

The tiller is a forward spinning tiller so it doesn't do as good of a job as a reverse spinning one but it seems to leave very large sod lumps and just seems to be spinning slow when operating at 540rpm PTO. I have never owned a tiller other then this one so maybe its spinning at the right RPM but it just looks slow visually. Reversing with the tiller slowly does a much better job as its then acting like a reverse spinning tiller, just leaves tires tracks so I have to run forward over it again so maybe this is the issue. On a new garden running forward I have to do many passes.

The flail mower seems to need the blades to be freshly sharpened or it just rips the grass out in full lengths and tangles up into a ball of long blades. Thinking the same thing maybe its not spinning fast enough so its not properly cutting.

I am not near the implements right now but I will check when home what the ratio is by spinning the PTO by hand.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've not seen your equipment but 540 rpm is THE standard speed. Some tractors have other speeds, many do not. My Mitsubishi had four PTO speeds. Unless your implement specifically says it will work at the higher speed I'd avoid anything other than 540. I'm sure you know that the PTO speed is directly related to the engine RPM. If you determine the correct engine RPM for the 540 RPM PTO speed you'll need to select the proper gear for moving forward at that engine speed. That's what I like most about my HST!! I set my engine RPM then apply drive pressure to control ground speed. I can vary my speed and leave RPM set.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If there is a chain drive on the side of the tiller you may be able to get a different gear ratio and change the speed of the blades. I know on my tiller there are two gear sets discussed in the manual.

I was able to contact the manufacturer to get a copy of the manual

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
I realize the 540 rpm is the standard and thats all my BX has. Im just wondering if the older equipment was maybe designed for the 750/1000rpm pto that existed on the tracter the original owner had. Which would mean my tiller and flail are spinning to slow when operated at 540.

Wondering what rpm the actual drum on the flail and tiller should generally spin at. Like 200rpm drum speed which means the gearbox/chain/pulleys have a reduction of 1:2.7 to get the 540 input speed down to the 200 rpm drum speed.

If this tiller was originally design for a 1000rpm pto then it would have a 1:5 reduction for a 200rpm drum speed which means on my 540 tractor it would be running at 108 rpm.

Why did those older tractors have 750/1000 as an option? Was there implements that ran off this rpm?