Thumb pedal update

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
The stock foot pedal for thumb control was always awkward for me. Small and slippery since excavation usually involves mud. Big feet, age and poor dance abilities in need of solution.
First added cleated pedal extensions. Simply cut from 2x5” rectangle tubing. This gave height, length, width increases and boot traction. Length gave longer lever arm control from the pedal’ s return spring. Made the toe cleat slightly higher for better position. Made a world of difference in control.
Also added a hand control lever. Nice feature that gives good
4DD6DF8B-67F1-4084-8FB0-295687B6F0E1.jpeg
16508C83-5BB9-4E7C-A402-97608D0A1D8E.jpeg
53D2F080-6CC6-432A-AF21-9768845EBC29.jpeg
3E4E9ADB-E0E5-45F1-9499-CB5676BF769A.jpeg
fine control like for stacking rocks. Both options work well together and easy to operate. Still able to flip pedal up and lock function if needed.

After several jobs and hours of use has improved my thumbing ability. Pedal operation much smoother, easier with better control. Hand option integrates well with the other controls.

Reactions: 10 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Very nice and seems well thought out. I really like the "flip up " mode.

I am planning on making a hydraulic thumb for my BH77 this year some time, and might have to borrow this idea.

What is that long hammer for?

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Very nice and seems well thought out. I really like the "flip up " mode.

I am planning on making a hydraulic thumb for my BH77 this year some time, and might have to borrow this idea.

What is that long hammer for?
Was missing swing lock pin when bought. Scrap pile bolt, tubing and hammer head made one reachable from operator station. Handy for tapping mounting pins in/out and other uses.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I hate my foot pedal next to impossible for me to use with my steel toe boots. I'm still toying with the idea of using an electric actuator instead of the hand lever so I can mount buttons on the joystick similar to the loader front remotes.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Mikester, Like your idea of 3rd function type of switch. Finding the space for solenoid valves and wiring components a challenge.

The OEM M59 foot pedal never felt right. The B26 very similar pedal is easier to use. It is tilted just a little back toward the operator. The cleats help solve the issue with me.
The hand control option is very intuitive. Lines up with the other controls fortunately. May have helped train my foot as it gives another visual cue. Months between use lose muscle memory? My clumsiness? Now use both without much thinking.

One cotter pin to remove pedal assembly to the bench for welding made for easy customization.

Spring has sprung. Have to move green stuff like you guys move snow.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I haven't pulled the covers off the BH controls yet but from the WSM it looks like there's space around the linkages for a small actuator with 1 or 2 inch stroke. Ideally I could drive the valve plunger directly but would loose any manual control.