Three Point Hitch Question

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I’m asking this for a friend that also has a M7040 like mine.

I was at his place today and we were hooking up a harrow to his tractor. He was on the tractor and I was doing the hookup.

I noticed that the harrow wasn’t sitting level….the right side was noticeably lower than the left. When everything was connected, I told him to raise the harrow so I could put in the lower hitch sway pins. When he raised, i noticed the harrow didn’t raise level. The right side stayed low. We went to the shop and measured the lift rods and they were exactly the same length so this isn’t an adjustment issue.

it appears that the left side lifts first. Anyone noticed this on a tractor before where the lift rods are already the same length? It was getting dark so we parked and he will do the harrowing tomorrow morning. I’m wondering if hooking up with the harrows not level would cause this. I’ve never seen this before.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Is this what you are calling a harrow? https://www.windstarequipment.com/s...-Dog-300-10-Super-Duty-tandem-disc-[2427584]/

Strange question but things in different parts of the country may have a different names.

Check the distance from the ground to the top of the lifting rods to see if they are the same. Then look for bent, damaged or loose parts on the harrow. Set the harrow down slowly and see if it touches the ground evenly. Look at the harrow for twist or other damage.

Also look at the adjustable drag link ends and make sure they locked in place after you hooked up. One side may not of latched into place.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
There are two holes in the lower lift arms. A & B in image below.

Make certain the lift rods are in the same hole on each side.

Kubota lift arm holes.jpg

Dave

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
BigG, same type of harrow. Made the measurements and both sides were the same.

Dave_eng, nothing bent. Both rods in the forward holes.

I am going over this morning And we’ll set the harrow on a level pad, disconnect, raise and lower the lift arms and reconnect and see if that takes care of it..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked at the KP site and that tractor has 2 cylinders on the 3PH. It is possible that they weren't the same length' before connecting the implement(uneven ground). Seen that here with loaders(bucket not level.as ground wasn't.......). Once the 3PH is cycled( full up, down), it's probably fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I looked at the KP site and that tractor has 2 cylinders on the 3PH. It is possible that they weren't the same length' before connecting the implement(uneven ground). Seen that here with loaders(bucket not level.as ground wasn't.......). Once the 3PH is cycled( full up, down), it's probably fine.
I’m thinking that’s it. Headed over there now to check this out. To wet to plow so we’’l see if this is a problem or just something new to learn about 3PHs. i Hope you are correct. As stated in my original post, this was one thing I was considering. I will know shortly and post the results later today.

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Problem seems to be solved. There was a nice steep grade that I went up to the flat top, turned around and went just to the point where the front and rear wheels were pointing downhill. That allowed me to lower the harrows all the way without them touching the ground. When I raised them, they lifted level like they are supposed to.

Apparently, if you connect with the implement not level side to side, some fluid remains trapped on the high side causing it to lift first.

i learn something new everyday. Thanks for the input, guys.

Reactions: 2 users