three point hitch problem

dpflames

Equipment
gray market L175
Jun 10, 2011
southaven, ms
I have a gray market tractor comparable to the L175, somewhere around a 1973 model I believe. My three point hitch recently quit lowering. The adjusting wheel under the seat does not allow the hitch to lower. I can pull back on the handle and see the hitch pressurize and push forward and the hitch looks as if it releases the pressure but the hitch will not lower. Any advise would be greatly appreciated before I drain the oil and clean the filter screen or tear down the 3 point lift assembly.

Thanks,
Don

dpflames

Equipment
gray market L175
Jun 10, 2011
southaven, ms
I removed the filter and drained the transmission oil. My local dealer will have me a new filter in by Friday. With the oil out and the filter out the finish mower that is on my three point hitch still will not lower. It seem to me that this would indicate problems other than the filter and oil.

Does the three point on the L175 model lower on gravity?

Any additional advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
I'll suggest that if the hitch won't lower, then the hydraulic fluid that pushes the piston down to raise the hitch can not escape the cylinder. That means that the orifice that gets opened and closed by the knob under the seat is stuck fully closed preventing the fluid from escaping. Or ----- there's something else in the rock shaft linkage theat keeps it mechanically locked up. I would start by loosening the four bolts that mount that adjusting knob to the 3 point cylinder. That may be enough to let the valve pop open and drain fluid out of the cylinder. Be careful ----- as you play around, if the valve opens and the fluid escapes, that mower will drop.