Three point hitch hydraulics

Kenweekender

Equipment
L4240
Jun 29, 2012
Bucksport, ME
My Grand L4240 is having her first mechanical challenge, after 249 hours. The three pt hitch will not raise or lower. Checked hydraulic fluids, no luck. Any suggestions on what to check next?

mehig

Equipment
BX2230, MASSEY 1033, Bobcat 753,Gravely Cl
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
My Grand L4240 is having her first mechanical challenge, after 249 hours. The three pt hitch will not raise or lower. Checked hydraulic fluids, no luck. Any suggestions on what to check next?
Many/some tractors have a "draft control knob" on my Massey 1533 and a kubota bx2230 there is a round knob right below the seat and if turned too far clockwise interferes w/the operation of the 3 pt hitch. The knob also adjust how fast the hydraulics will operate. Hard to imagine anything wrong with so few hours....surely it's something simple....good luck

Kenweekender

Equipment
L4240
Jun 29, 2012
Bucksport, ME
That was it. There is a round safety knob, below the front seat, that freezes the hitch in the up position. I guess this would be when one is working on an attachment, and ensuring it won't drop down. Thanks a million.

bmotojoe1

Equipment
Kubota L4240HST Land Pride RCF-2072 Mower Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Jun 16, 2012
East Of Seattle Wa.
Safety First...
Nowhere on or around that knob does it say "Safety Lockout" This knob is only a hydraulic flow control for the downward speed of the three point hydraulics, I have the same machine. With the three point raised all the way up, I find it safer to loosen the height adjustment stop slide it up all the way and lock it down tight. This way if anyone jumps on the tractor and you are not aware of that there is no way the height adjustment lever can be lowered.
JMO.
Brian

Last edited:

mehig

Equipment
BX2230, MASSEY 1033, Bobcat 753,Gravely Cl
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
I typically use my draft control knob to make my grader blade drop slowly....so it doesn't hit the ground so hard, especially when plowing snow off my paved driveway. It also slows the descent of my bucket on the front end loader. I generally lower any equipment to rest on the ground when the tractor is parked.