Thoughts/Experience with Power Service Bio Kleen or alternatives?

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I have never had an algae problem with diesel and I would like to keep it that way! My standby generator has a 60 gallon tank and I also use it as bulk storage for my tractor and it will also be used to feed my on order Kubota F2690 front mower when it hopefully is delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. So fuel does get "rotated" in the generator fuel tank in addition to the monthly loaded exercise cycles. But since this is an important piece of equipment, I want to avoid problems with growth in fuel.

Back in 1999, I spent part of a research sabbatical in Cuba and one day I was traveling from Havana to a port city on the other side of the island nation via bus. I rode in a nearly new Mercedes bus produced in Brazil and strangely the driver stopped on a railroad crossing on the highway instead of before it. I didn't care to be sitting in a bus on the crossing so I got out to see what was going on and the driver had removed the pair of cartridge fuel filters and was carefully scraping algae slime off the filter surface with a clearly frequently used wooden paddle. I really don't ever want that stuff growing in any of my fuel systems but I do like to keep the generator tank fairly full so it could also be considered long-term storage.

The only other way to speed fuel usage would be to switch to on-road diesel which I could then also use in my 2018 pickup but I really don't want to deal with that along with paying road tax on fuel that won't be burnt on-road. So any experiences/preferences for the Power Service or alternatives? Thanks in advance!

Rodger

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I used to use Killem in my standby generator tank. The semi-monthly start-test never used much fuel and it would sometimes last a long time. Topping it up to keep out condensation doesn' t help algae.

When I bought my Jeep diesel I rotated the generator fuel through it to keep it fresh.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
i was looking for some biocide at my local O'Reilly's. They had 3 brands of every additive but biocide. The counter guy brought some out from 'the back'. Sorry, don't remember the brand but it was about $20 I think. It had multiple warnings, fungicides are serious stuff.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I've used Power Service Diesel Kleen for 16 years in two different Ford tanks. I've never had an issue even when the truck sits for a month or more.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've used Power Service Diesel Kleen for 16 years in two different Ford tanks. I've never had an issue even when the truck sits for a month or more.
I started using it year 'round several years ago.

Folks were having a lot of diesel biological issues one year here on OTT. Wanted something preventive.

Just the little Kubota is diesel.

No issues, and the inline filters look good/clean.

It's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Thanks to everyone for responses, I will be picking up a bottle at Farm and Fleet shortly.

Rodger

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I use Hot Shots Secret. Out performs all of them and only takes an ounce per 50 gallons. Prevent Algae, Gelling, adds Cetane and Lubricity.