This does not make any sense....

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
It's not that the engineers' don't know how to fix it, it's the bean counter has not approved the expensive fix(clutch replacement with a heavier version). And in the meantime they are adjusting the warranty claim time down so the tech gets screwed some more.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Fwiw, the article says "there is no fix for the issue" not they are having problems getting it approved.

Pressure plates aren't that complicated. It seems the engineers decided to make the clutch easier to push which didn't get it strong enough. Seems more of a drive to try to turn an off-road vehicle into a sports car which failed again.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Fwiw, the article says "there is no fix for the issue" not they are having problems getting it approved.

Pressure plates aren't that complicated. It seems the engineers decided to make the clutch easier to push which didn't get it strong enough. Seems more of a drive to try to turn an off-road vehicle into a sports car which failed again.
It's called hyperbole.

If you believe everything you read in the media then you are spending too much time on facebook.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I found it unbelievable that it took 15 years to fix the crap transmissions in Ram trucks. Lol.
They still haven't fixed them 😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂🤣

We got a dodge service truck that went in for warranty work on the transmission. After getting it back, it started throwing transmissions codes within a couple of hours running around town with it 🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
"This debris could cause a road hazard for other drivers, and could also cause a fire in the vehicle or the surrounding area if it comes into contact with an ignition source."

Excellent explanation, but isn't the hot debris being tossed the ignition source?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We had a 1991 MOPAR mini van. Was 3.3l v6 and that engine/transmission pair blew through a lot of transmissions including ours at 30-40k.

Shortly thereafter the Dodge pickups were having tranny issues, and that was mid-late-90’s. My dad had a 1998(?). Didn’t have transmission issues, but the paint all chipped off certain parts of the truck. Was also a common concern.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
What I was wondering is if they decided to go high tech with a new radical clutch design using lithium ion batteries for the friction material and a pneumatic clutch actuator using isobutane to keep it cool. :eek:o_O:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
I don't see what the problem could be that can't be fixed with a replacement. I'm sure there are plenty of aftermarket units out there that wouldn't have any issue like this.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
It all comes down to money. 69k Jeeps with a few hundred just in parts and 5.2 hours(per alldata)@80% whatever shop labor is($120). Then the cost for a loaner car and finding a supplier to build it. And trying to get the original supplier to pay for all this(GM Bolt recalls LG Battery paid like 90% of the bill). And I am sure a few lawyers will get involved claiming loss of resale value or owner was scared to drive vehicle. Oh, don't forgot multiple owners of Jeep during this time period. This recall is an expansion of a prior recall which did not include vehicles from as many model years. I did get a kick out of this statement.

Before the clutch pressure plate fails, drivers may notice a burning smell, clutch slippage, and/or a warning light on the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel.

There is currently no fix for this issue, but Jeep tells NHTSA that one is under development. Jeep dealerships performed a software update to address the previous recall, but owners who had that fix performed will still need an additional repair once it is ready

Instead of a check engine light do they have a fire symbol per the software update?

Last edited:

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
On Ram trucks, they get a bad rap. Back in the day you pretty much had two options, an a904 or an a727. They ran those forever in anything rear wheel drive and they were just fine. In the 80s? they switched to RH transmissions which were virtually identical but with overdrive. Then RE transmissions took over which were still virtually the same but electronically controlled. Then today they've stopped making their own all together opting for german ZF transmissions. Which are notoriously reliable.

Really up until the ZF transmissions they were great. Ive seen big power thrown at those old a727s without issue. Generally the only way they failed is if they weren't serviced. The bands needed to be adjusted about every other year. That continued through the RE transmissions too. So most of the failures I seen were due to lack of service. That service was always overlooked, and critical because adjustment specs kept things a bit on the loose side for softer shifts.

The exception being diesel trucks. Once diesels came into the program it was a different story. They ran the same RH and RE transmissions just beefier until the modern Zfs rook over. My 05 Ram for instance runs a 48re transmission. The problem with these transmissions isn't actually the trans itself. Rather the engine makes too much power and that issue continues today as Dodge seemingly specs out a truck then puts the screws to the driveline by increasing power over and over without upgrading. But even then I've really only heard of people killing them are doing so either with power adders or overloading the truck and driving the wheels off.

The real crime in the pickup truck world is GM. They had the best transmission ever produced, the turbo 400. Bullet proof to the point they were scaled up and adopted in the heavy truck world. The Allisons are virtually the same design. But somehow GM did what they do best, make something great and ruin it. *cough* modern ls engines *cough*

When they did the same as the other manufacturers and updated to an electronic controlled transmission with overdrive the 4l60e was born! The biggest steaming pile load of garbage ever put in a truck. Virtually none have survived without rebuild to the point finding a good used unit is virtually impossible outside of ebay. Always thought it was odd they didn't have the bad trans reputation because starting in the early 2000s their fwd transmissions were made of glass. When I worked at the local dealer all 3 of the master techs had a dedicated lift just for replacing transmissions under warranty. Up until the cvt takeover they were by far the worst in the industry.

Then there was Ford over there in the corner with those damn triton engines. Never made enough power to really break anything and seemingly didn't stay running properly long enough to do it anyway. Baffles my mind to see them making a comeback in popularity in the car community.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Always thought it was odd they didn't have the bad trans reputation because starting in the early 2000s their fwd transmissions were made of glass.

Then there was Ford over there in the corner with those damn triton engines. Never made enough power to really break anything and seemingly didn't stay running properly long enough to do it anyway.
:ROFLMAO: